Old 10-25-2010, 10:54 AM
saurabh verma

Default advice on using daemontools on centos production servers

Hi advisors ,

I would some suggestions on using http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html .

My requirements is to use less systems daemon checks in nagios but concentrate more on business / application level checks .

We have lots of daemons like below

> 1. ) snmpd
> 2.) ntp
> 3.) SSH
> 4.) crond
> 5.) php-cgi
> 6.) nginx
> 7.) Postfix
> 8.) wackamole
> 9.) spread
> 10.) atop
> 11.) redis
> 12.) taillog-dopa
> 13.) taillog-user
> 14.) rsyncd

... ETC.

We use nagios checks + event-handlers in case of daemon failure .

My views is to use daemontool to control all these daemons , and create a single nagios check which scans /service/ directory and alerts for daemons which are getting restarting in unwanted ways.

Some of my friends will argue about daemontools being non-unixy and unconventional , But I had good experience with daemontools on around 3000 servers earlier in my previous organization .

Please advice what you guys think about daemontools and its pros and crons .

Thanks ,
Saurabh Verma