FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-24-2010, 07:42 PM
 
Default CentOS Digest, Vol 69, Issue 24

Spam
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-request@centos.org
Sender: centos-bounces@centos.org
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 12:00:02
To: <centos@centos.org>
Reply-To: centos@centos.org
Subject: CentOS Digest, Vol 69, Issue 24

Send CentOS mailing list submissions to
centos@centos.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
centos-request@centos.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
centos-owner@centos.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of CentOS digest..."


Today's Topics:

1. graphics driver (Ritika Garg)
2. Re: graphics driver (John R Pierce)
3. Re: [SOLVED] more software raid questions (fred smith)
4. Re: [SOLVED] more software raid questions (Nataraj)
5. Maybe OT : strange wildcard behaviour (Niki Kovacs)
6. Re: [SOLVED] more software raid questions (fred smith)
7. Re: Maybe OT : strange wildcard behaviour (Nicolas Thierry-Mieg)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 23:53:15 +0530
From: Ritika Garg <ritikagarg25@gmail.com>
Subject: [CentOS] graphics driver
To: centos@centos.org
Message-ID:
<AANLkTi=UHL4Gnv=ov7_qqwB0VjPxHqCS97pzZuYEj+7b@mai l.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

I did installation of CentOS5.5 in text mode and made changes at the
following places in the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf :
section "device"
identifier : "vesa"
driver:"vesa"
section "screen"
device:"vesa"

Also in the file /etc/inittab I changed id:3:initdefault to id:5:initdefault
so that I can boot linux in graphical mode.
I had to make the changes in xorg.conf because the visibility of the
graphics was so poor that it was impossible to work.
The installation was done on Dell Inspiron N5010 with the chipset: Intel(R)
HM57 Express chipset LPC interface controller 3B0B which is a part of Mobile
intel 5 series
The video controller is: Intel (R) HD Graphics
Although graphics is there but the resolution and refresh rate are limited
to 1024*768 and 0Hz, so I need to find the video driver.
I had given "i810" in xorg.conf but that didn't work. Which driver is
recommended?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/attachments/20101023/6cf09554/attachment-0001.html

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 12:12:30 -0700
From: John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>
Subject: Re: [CentOS] graphics driver
To: CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org>
Cc: Ritika Garg <ritikagarg25@gmail.com>
Message-ID: <4CC3339E.2070409@hogranch.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

On 10/23/10 11:23 AM, Ritika Garg wrote:
> I did installation of CentOS5.5 in text mode and made changes at the
> following places in the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf :
> section "device"
> identifier : "vesa"
> driver:"vesa"
> section "screen"
> device:"vesa"
>
> Also in the file /etc/inittab I changed id:3:initdefault to
> id:5:initdefault so that I can boot linux in graphical mode.
> I had to make the changes in xorg.conf because the visibility of the
> graphics was so poor that it was impossible to work.
> The installation was done on Dell Inspiron N5010 with the chipset:
> Intel(R) HM57 Express chipset LPC interface controller 3B0B which is a
> part of Mobile intel 5 series
> The video controller is: Intel (R) HD Graphics
> Although graphics is there but the resolution and refresh rate are
> limited to 1024*768 and 0Hz, so I need to find the video driver.
> I had given "i810" in xorg.conf but that didn't work. Which driver is
> recommended?

I don't have one of those, but that system has the graphics controller
integrated into the CPU (!) rather than the chipset... Its called
Arrandale, and I believe the correct X.org driver is IGDNG (Intel
Graphics Device Next Generation)






------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 17:34:26 -0400
From: fred smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
Subject: Re: [CentOS] [SOLVED] more software raid questions
To: CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org>
Message-ID: <20101023213426.GA4749@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 11:03:27AM -0700, Nataraj wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the additional information.
> >
> > I'll try backing up everything this weekend then will take a stab at it.
> >
> > someone said earlier that the differing raid superblocks were probably
> > the cause of the misassignment in the first place. but I have no clue
> > how the superblocks could have become messed up, can any of you comment
> > on that? willl I need to hack at that issue, too, before I can succeed?
> >
> > thanks again!
> >
> >
> >> Nataraj
> >>
> I would first try adding the drives back in with:
>
> mdadm /dev/mdN -a /dev/sdXn
>
> Again, this is after having stopped the bogus md arrays.

Nataraj, that worked fine, didn't need to --force it. Now I'm back to
having two devices in md0 and two in md1, and they're the RIGHT two!
Put the box in single-user mode to do the work, then after the array
finished resyncing, rebooted and it came up with the right two md devices.

I appreciate your tutoring me on this, you've been most helpful.

Thanks a bunch!

Oh, can you refer me to any good documentation on how to admin a
software raid system? One aimed for people, like me, who are
computer literate, but have never trained as a sysadmin, and who
don't know much about RAID...

thanks again!

Fred
>
> If that doesn't work, I would try assemble with a --force option, which
> might be a little more dangerous than the hot add, but probably not
> much. I can say that when I have a drive fall out of an array I am
> always able to add it back with the first command (-a). As I mentioned,
> I do have bitmaps on all my arrays, but you can't change that until you
> rebuild the raidset.
>
> I believe these comands will take care of everything. You shouldn't have
> to do any diddling of the superblocks at a low level, and if the problem
> is that bad, you might be best to backup and recreate the whole array or
> engage the services of someone who knows how to muck with the data
> structures on the disk. I've never had to use anything other than mdadm
> to manage my raid arrays and I've never lost data with linux software
> raid in the 10 or more years that I've been using it. I've found it to
> be quite robust. Backing up is just a precaution that is a good idea for
> anyone to take if they care about their data.
>
> If these problems reoccur on a regular basis, you could have a bad
> drive, a power supply problem or a cabling problem. Assuming your drives
> are attached to SATA, SCSI or SAS controller, you can use smartctl to
> check the drives and see if they are getting errors or other faults.
> smartctl will not work with USB or firefire attached drives.
>
> Nataraj
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us -----------------------------
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this:
While we were still sinners,
Christ died for us.
------------------------------- Romans 5:8 (niv) ------------------------------


------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 22:05:30 -0700
From: Nataraj <incoming-centos@rjl.com>
Subject: Re: [CentOS] [SOLVED] more software raid questions
To: CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org>
Message-ID: <4CC3BE9A.6090207@rjl.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

fred smith wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 11:03:27AM -0700, Nataraj wrote:
>
>> fred smith wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the additional information.
>>>
>>> I'll try backing up everything this weekend then will take a stab at it.
>>>
>>> someone said earlier that the differing raid superblocks were probably
>>> the cause of the misassignment in the first place. but I have no clue
>>> how the superblocks could have become messed up, can any of you comment
>>> on that? willl I need to hack at that issue, too, before I can succeed?
>>>
>>> thanks again!
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> Nataraj
>>>>
>>>>
>> I would first try adding the drives back in with:
>>
>> mdadm /dev/mdN -a /dev/sdXn
>>
>> Again, this is after having stopped the bogus md arrays.
>>
>
> Nataraj, that worked fine, didn't need to --force it. Now I'm back to
> having two devices in md0 and two in md1, and they're the RIGHT two!
> Put the box in single-user mode to do the work, then after the array
> finished resyncing, rebooted and it came up with the right two md devices.
>
> I appreciate your tutoring me on this, you've been most helpful.
>
> Thanks a bunch!
>
> Oh, can you refer me to any good documentation on how to admin a
> software raid system? One aimed for people, like me, who are
> computer literate, but have never trained as a sysadmin, and who
> don't know much about RAID...
>
> thanks again!
>
> Fred
>
Hi Fred,

You might try this one, since it seems to be one of the more up to date:
https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Linux_Raid

Also the mdadm man page and running "mdadm --help".

Oh, and there's this, however, some of the pages just happen to be in
Chinese...
http://wiki.centos.org/Search?action=fullsearch&titlesearch=1&value=raid
<http://wiki.centos.org/Search?action=fullsearch&titlesearch=1&value=raid>

Nataraj



Nataraj




------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 11:39:20 +0200
From: Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net>
Subject: [CentOS] Maybe OT : strange wildcard behaviour
To: centos@centos.org
Message-ID: <1287913160.8756.7.camel@babasse.presbytere.montpe zat>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"

Hi,

I'm currently working through some basic HOWTOS (Linux Fundamentals 1-4
by Gentoo founder Daniel Robbins) on a CentOS 5.5 server, just to keep
in shape.

I've just noticed a curious wildcard behaviour, which I can't really
explain. Let's say I wanted to list all the files or directories in /tmp
starting with any uppercase character. Normally, I would do this :

$ ls -d /tmp/[A-Z]*

Curiously enough, this command lists *all* the content of /tmp,
consisting of a majority of files and directories starting with a
*lowercase* character. I've tested this on two different machines, with
the same results. I'm puzzled.

Can anybody offer an explanation for this curious behaviour ?

Cheers,

Niki



------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 07:40:08 -0400
From: fred smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
Subject: Re: [CentOS] [SOLVED] more software raid questions
To: CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org>
Message-ID: <20101024114008.GA13293@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 10:05:30PM -0700, Nataraj wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 11:03:27AM -0700, Nataraj wrote:
> >
> >> fred smith wrote:
> >>
> >>> Thanks for the additional information.
> >>>
> >>> I'll try backing up everything this weekend then will take a stab at it.
> >>>
> >>> someone said earlier that the differing raid superblocks were probably
> >>> the cause of the misassignment in the first place. but I have no clue
> >>> how the superblocks could have become messed up, can any of you comment
> >>> on that? willl I need to hack at that issue, too, before I can succeed?
> >>>
> >>> thanks again!
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>> Nataraj
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >> I would first try adding the drives back in with:
> >>
> >> mdadm /dev/mdN -a /dev/sdXn
> >>
> >> Again, this is after having stopped the bogus md arrays.
> >>
> >
> > Nataraj, that worked fine, didn't need to --force it. Now I'm back to
> > having two devices in md0 and two in md1, and they're the RIGHT two!
> > Put the box in single-user mode to do the work, then after the array
> > finished resyncing, rebooted and it came up with the right two md devices.
> >
> > I appreciate your tutoring me on this, you've been most helpful.
> >
> > Thanks a bunch!
> >
> > Oh, can you refer me to any good documentation on how to admin a
> > software raid system? One aimed for people, like me, who are
> > computer literate, but have never trained as a sysadmin, and who
> > don't know much about RAID...
> >
> > thanks again!
> >
> > Fred
> >
> Hi Fred,
>
> You might try this one, since it seems to be one of the more up to date:
> https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Linux_Raid
>
> Also the mdadm man page and running "mdadm --help".
>
> Oh, and there's this, however, some of the pages just happen to be in
> Chinese...
> http://wiki.centos.org/Search?action=fullsearch&titlesearch=1&value=raid
> <http://wiki.centos.org/Search?action=fullsearch&titlesearch=1&value=raid>

Once again, thanks! the raid.wiki... one looks good. I'm afraid that
a Chinese-language resource isn't going to help me much... but perhaps
someone else will see this and find it helpful.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us -----------------------------
"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged
sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow;
it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."
---------------------------- Hebrews 4:12 (niv) ------------------------------


------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 13:53:48 +0200
From: Nicolas Thierry-Mieg <Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg@imag.fr>
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Maybe OT : strange wildcard behaviour
To: CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org>
Message-ID: <4CC41E4C.1040805@imag.fr>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently working through some basic HOWTOS (Linux Fundamentals 1-4
> by Gentoo founder Daniel Robbins) on a CentOS 5.5 server, just to keep
> in shape.
>
> I've just noticed a curious wildcard behaviour, which I can't really
> explain. Let's say I wanted to list all the files or directories in /tmp
> starting with any uppercase character. Normally, I would do this :
>
> $ ls -d /tmp/[A-Z]*
>
> Curiously enough, this command lists *all* the content of /tmp,
> consisting of a majority of files and directories starting with a
> *lowercase* character. I've tested this on two different machines, with
> the same results. I'm puzzled.
>
> Can anybody offer an explanation for this curious behaviour ?

probably "expected" behavior, depending on your locale.
google for LC_COLLATE.

LC_COLLATE='C' ; ls -d /tmp/[A-Z]*
should do what you want.


------------------------------

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos


End of CentOS Digest, Vol 69, Issue 24
**************************************
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:46 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org