Old 10-22-2010, 08:05 PM
R P Herrold

Default CentOS 5.5 hangs on Acer Veriton X498G

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010, Paul Ortega wrote:

> I have installed CentOS 5.5 (2.6.18-194.17.1.el5PAE) on a number of Acer
> Veriton X498G desktop computers. They seem to randomly hang when nobody
> is logged in at the console, i.e. I notice a hanged computer but have
> not heard complaints about computers hanging while a user was at the
> keyboard.
>
> The symptoms are:
> Blank screen.
> Power LED on.
> Network LED blinking.
> No response to keyboard or mouse.
> No response to ping.
> Arp request from computer on same subnet gets "incomplete" for MAC address.
> Cannot ssh into computer, "no route to host" error message.

This is all consistent with a non-listening NIC and a unit in
profound hibernation, if not affirmative shutdown [NIC lights
will be powered on and blink by stray ARP broadcast packets
moving across a lan, even on switched fabric]

> Has anyone else seen similar?

as above ... I

would set up remote syslogging from the unit under test, and
see exercise (through keyed ssh access) that unit under test
on a scripted basis, to see if it dies off if left alone, or
if other clues appear in that remote syslog

-- Russ herrold