FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Paras pradhan
 
Default network interface question

Hi,

I don't have ifcfg-eth1 in my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. But when
I do ifconfig eth1 I can see output as below. If I do ifconfig eth12 ,
I don't see anything which i am assume is normal.


eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:24:E8:44B:CC
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:17 Memory:e8000000-e8012800


Don't know why and how this is happening.

Thanks!
Paras.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-13-2010, 10:33 PM
Jacob Bresciani
 
Default network interface question

eth1 exists because the /dev device was found on boot (you have 2 or more network interfaces).
eth12 does due to you not have 13+ nic's or did not map a network device to be eth12.



On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Paras pradhan <pradhanparas@gmail.com> wrote:


Hi,



I don't have ifcfg-eth1 in my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. But when

I do ifconfig eth1 I can see output as below. If I do ifconfig eth12 ,

I don't see anything which i am assume is normal.





eth1 * * *Link encap:Ethernet *HWaddr 00:24:E8:44B:CC

* * * * *BROADCAST MULTICAST *MTU:1500 *Metric:1

* * * * *RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

* * * * *TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

* * * * *collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

* * * * *RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) *TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

* * * * *Interrupt:17 Memory:e8000000-e8012800





Don't know why and how this is happening.



Thanks!

Paras.

_______________________________________________

CentOS mailing list

CentOS@centos.org

http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos



--
Jacob BrescianiLinux Systems AdministratorAdvanced Ecommerce Research Systems / TerapeakCell: 250 418-5412


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-13-2010, 10:39 PM
Paras pradhan
 
Default network interface question

I have eight nics as below

[ppradhan@cvprd1 ~]$ ./lshw -short -class network
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
H/W path Device Class Description
================================================== =========
/0/100/4/0/0 eth4 network NetXtreme II BCM5708
Gigabit Ethernet
/0/100/5/0/0 eth1 network NetXtreme II BCM5708
Gigabit Ethernet
/0/100/9/0/0 eth6 network NetXtreme II BCM5708
Gigabit Ethernet
/0/100/a/0/0 eth7 network NetXtreme II BCM5708
Gigabit Ethernet
/0/100/c/0/2/0 __tmp1035166962 network 82575GB Gigabit
Network Connection
/0/100/c/0/2/0.1 eth5 network 82575GB Gigabit
Network Connection
/0/100/c/0/4/0 __tmp619132850 network 82575GB Gigabit
Network Connection
/0/100/c/0/4/0.1 __tmp1445504961 network 82575GB Gigabit
Network Connection


On that only eth4, eth6 and eth7 are configured ( or have ifcfg-eth4 ,
ifcfg-eth6 and ifcfg-eth7) . Wondering why there is eth1 and eth5 and
also _tmp*

Thanks!
Paras.




On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Jacob Bresciani <jacob@aers.ca> wrote:
> eth1 exists because the /dev device was found on boot (you have 2 or more
> network interfaces).
> eth12 does due to you not have 13+ nic's or did not map a network device to
> be eth12.
>
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Paras pradhan <pradhanparas@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't have ifcfg-eth1 in my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. But when
>> I do ifconfig eth1 I can see output as below. If I do ifconfig eth12 ,
>> I don't see anything which i am assume is normal.
>>
>>
>> eth1 * * *Link encap:Ethernet *HWaddr 00:24:E8:44B:CC
>> * * * * *BROADCAST MULTICAST *MTU:1500 *Metric:1
>> * * * * *RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>> * * * * *TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>> * * * * *collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>> * * * * *RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) *TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
>> * * * * *Interrupt:17 Memory:e8000000-e8012800
>>
>>
>> Don't know why and how this is happening.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Paras.
>> _______________________________________________
>> CentOS mailing list
>> CentOS@centos.org
>> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
>
>
> --
> Jacob Bresciani
> Linux Systems Administrator
> Advanced Ecommerce Research Systems / Terapeak
> Cell: 250 418-5412
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
>
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-13-2010, 10:40 PM
John R Pierce
 
Default network interface question

On 10/13/10 3:26 PM, Paras pradhan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't have ifcfg-eth1 in my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. But when
> I do ifconfig eth1 I can see output as below. If I do ifconfig eth12 ,
> I don't see anything which i am assume is normal.
>
>
> eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:24:E8:44B:CC
> BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
> RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
> RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
> Interrupt:17 Memory:e8000000-e8012800
>
>
> Don't know why and how this is happening.

Its unclear what your actual question is, but that behavior indicates
that you have in fact an eth1 physical ethernet adapter but you haven't
enabled or configured it (note there's no 'UP' or 'RUNNING' shown
there). you probably do not have an eth12 interface, hence why that
gave no output.


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Paras pradhan
 
Default network interface question

There are eight nics. But i don't get output of all of eth0 to eth7.

Paras.


On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 5:40 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> *On 10/13/10 3:26 PM, Paras pradhan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't have ifcfg-eth1 in my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. But when
>> I do ifconfig eth1 I can see output as below. If I do ifconfig eth12 ,
>> I don't see anything which i am assume is normal.
>>
>>
>> eth1 * * *Link encap:Ethernet *HWaddr 00:24:E8:44B:CC
>> * * * * * *BROADCAST MULTICAST *MTU:1500 *Metric:1
>> * * * * * *RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>> * * * * * *TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>> * * * * * *collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>> * * * * * *RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) *TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
>> * * * * * *Interrupt:17 Memory:e8000000-e8012800
>>
>>
>> Don't know why and how this is happening.
>
> Its unclear what your actual question is, but that behavior indicates
> that you have in fact an eth1 physical ethernet adapter but you haven't
> enabled or configured it (note there's no 'UP' or 'RUNNING' shown
> there). *you probably do not have an eth12 interface, hence why that
> gave no output.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-13-2010, 10:47 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default network interface question

On 10/13/2010 5:26 PM, Paras pradhan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't have ifcfg-eth1 in my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. But when
> I do ifconfig eth1 I can see output as below. If I do ifconfig eth12 ,
> I don't see anything which i am assume is normal.
>
>
> eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:24:E8:44B:CC
> BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
> RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
> RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
> Interrupt:17 Memory:e8000000-e8012800
>
>
> Don't know why and how this is happening.

The output of 'dmesg' should show some details about the device detected
as eth1.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Paras pradhan
 
Default network interface question

Nothing in the dmesg except this:

Broadcom NetXtreme II Gigabit Ethernet Driver bnx2 v2.0.2 (Aug 21, 2009)
eth0: Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T (B2) PCI-X 64-bit
133MHz found at mem e6000000, IRQ 16, node addr 0024e848f03d
eth1: Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T (B2) PCI-X 64-bit
133MHz found at mem e8000000, IRQ 17, node addr 0024e848f03f
eth2: Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T (B2) PCI-X 64-bit
133MHz found at mem ea000000, IRQ 19, node addr 0026b9662f43
eth3: Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T (B2) PCI-X 64-bit
133MHz found at mem ec000000, IRQ 20, node addr 0026b9662f45


Paras.


On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/13/2010 5:26 PM, Paras pradhan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't have ifcfg-eth1 in my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. But when
>> I do ifconfig eth1 I can see output as below. If I do ifconfig eth12 ,
>> I don't see anything which i am assume is normal.
>>
>>
>> eth1 * * *Link encap:Ethernet *HWaddr 00:24:E8:44B:CC
>> * * * * * *BROADCAST MULTICAST *MTU:1500 *Metric:1
>> * * * * * *RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>> * * * * * *TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>> * * * * * *collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>> * * * * * *RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) *TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
>> * * * * * *Interrupt:17 Memory:e8000000-e8012800
>>
>>
>> Don't know why and how this is happening.
>
> The output of 'dmesg' should show some details about the device detected
> as eth1.
>
> --
> * Les Mikesell
> * *lesmikesell@gmail.com
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-14-2010, 08:53 AM
John Doe
 
Default network interface question

From: Paras pradhan <pradhanparas@gmail.com>

> I don't have ifcfg-eth1 in my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.

Maybe try to have one and put:
ONBOOT=no

JD



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Paras pradhan
 
Default network interface question

It looks like when there are no ifcfg-* files , then the kernel
assigns some default logical names ( don;t know how and why), but if
we create ifcfg-ethx files then it overrides it. That should be ok (?)
i think.

One more question:

I have eight nics and its getting difficult to me which MAC id
represents which physical port. Any way to find this?

Thanks!
Paras.


On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 3:53 AM, John Doe <jdmls@yahoo.com> wrote:
> From: Paras pradhan <pradhanparas@gmail.com>
>
>> I don't have ifcfg-eth1 in my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.
>
> Maybe try to have one and put:
> *ONBOOT=no
>
> JD
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-15-2010, 08:36 AM
John Doe
 
Default network interface question

From: Paras pradhan <pradhanparas@gmail.com>

> I have eight nics and its getting difficult to me which MAC id
> represents which physical port. Any way to find this?

Unless you are 100% sure the nics detection follow a sequential order that
matches the nics physical ports order, I think you will have to test them one at
a time...

JD



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:07 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org