Old 10-13-2010, 07:27 PM

Default the wandering MAC?

Eero Volotinen wrote:
> 2010/10/13 Boris Epstein <borepstein@gmail.com>:
>> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen@iki.fi>
>> wrote:
<snip>
> [...]

I'd start worrying about the m/b slot. Have you tried a different one, if
one's available?

>>> Well, you can set *new mac address also manually on ifcfg-ethX script
>>> .. or ifconfig ..
>>
>> OK... how do I set it? Or, more importantly, how do I find out what
>> MAC the card currently thinks it has?
>
> Well, ifconfig?
>
> It really doesn't matter, just generate random one..
>
> edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX
>
> Remove HWADDR=00:00:00:00:00:00
> add MACADDR=WH:AT:YO:UW:AN:T0
>
> It should work this way and then just service network restart ..

I think I'd leave the first three octets alone - that's just the
manufacturer's code. Oh, and I doubt any non-hex chars would work....

mark

Old 10-13-2010, 07:52 PM
Tru Huynh

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:28:27PM -0400, Boris Epstein wrote:
> Hi all,

> Any idea what all of this mess could mean?

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=4317

Tru

Old 10-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Les Mikesell

On 10/13/2010 1:55 PM, Eero Volotinen wrote:

>>> I'm suspicious (as others have suggested) the card itself is bad. I
>>> think to suspect the flash chip that stores the MAC addr. The rest of
>>> the card may be perfect. Using it long-term might require no more than
>>> a manual edit of the init script for it adding something to this effect
>>> 'if MAC == zeros; then set MAC to 00:0a:cd:1a:c1:71 fi'. This will fix
>>> this card without clobbering it's successor down the road.

>> While those suspicions were well justified I am not sure your guess is
>> correct in this particular case as I just swapped the NIC I had for a
>> different one and I seem to be getting the same sort of errors again.
>> What's the likelihood that two NICs in a row have a faulty flash?
>
> Well, you can set new mac address also manually on ifcfg-ethX script
> .. or ifconfig ..

But the ifcfg-ethX scripts don't run if the HWADDR entry doesn't match
the NIC MAC. How do you get the right name connected to the right nic
so you can even run ifconfig sensibly?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 10-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Jerry Franz

On 10/13/2010 1:11 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:

> But the ifcfg-ethX scripts don't run if the HWADDR entry doesn't match
> the NIC MAC. How do you get the right name connected to the right nic
> so you can even run ifconfig sensibly?

You don't *have* to use HWADDR in the ifcfg-* file. Just comment it out
on the NIC that is having problems.

--
Benjamin Franz

Old 10-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Les Mikesell

On 10/13/2010 3:16 PM, Jerry Franz wrote:
> On 10/13/2010 1:11 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>

>> But the ifcfg-ethX scripts don't run if the HWADDR entry doesn't match
>> the NIC MAC. How do you get the right name connected to the right nic
>> so you can even run ifconfig sensibly?
>>

> You don't *have* to use HWADDR in the ifcfg-* file. Just comment it out
> on the NIC that is having problems.

Whenever I've done that on machines with multiple NICs, they've all been
renamed with a .bak extension and ignored, including the one I needed to
be able to reach the machine at all. Could be that there were other
changes at the same time contributing to this and maybe it will work if
only one doesn't match.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Boris Epstein

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Boris Epstein <borepstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have what appears to be a truly puzzling problem. I've got this P4
> 32-bit machine running CentOS 5.5 with XEN that has two NICs: one
> onboard, an Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit and one on an expansion
> card, Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit. The second one
> is recognized as eth1.
>
> What's happening is, it is showing up under one of the two MAC's:
> either 00:0a:cd:1a:c1:71 or 00:00:00:00:c1:71. If you reboot it the
> MAC stays the same; if you shutdown and do a full powerdown it seems
> to change.
>
> Obviously, after it goes from one MAC to another you have to play with
> the start-up scripts for this interface to start up correctly and this
> becomes a major annoyance.
>
> Any idea what all of this mess could mean?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Boris.

OK, people, here's something looks promising:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=ASC&topic_id=195 71&forum=40#forumpost73378

Looks like there is a whole special repo for this sort of drivers. Has
anybody used it? How is it?

Anyways, I think I'd give it a try.

Cheers,

Boris.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Lucian

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Boris Epstein <borepstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=ASC&topic_id=195 71&forum=40#forumpost73378
>
> Looks like there is a whole special repo for this sort of drivers. Has
> anybody used it? How is it?

Elrepo is trustworthy. Got myself out of an realsh..err,tek problem
using their packages, too. Go ahead.