Old 09-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Bill Campbell

Default "Open Source Development + Tools" - Book/Resource?

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010, Tim Nelson wrote:
>Greetings all-

>My apologies for the slightly OT post. My primary production platform *IS*
>CentOS 5.x with a minor scattering of 4.x machines behind firewalls here
>and there...

>I find that I'm being placed more and more into a 'quasi-developer' role
>which strays some from my normal system/network admin duties. Specifically,
>having to work with the deep internals of make, autoconf, libtool, cross
>platform compilation, non-standard libs, etc. My head spins some days
>trying to work through some of these types of issues.

>I'm hoping someone knows of a good resource or book that explains the
>general 'open source' or '*NIX' method of application development,
>compilation, and dependency/library handling. Specifically, how to take
>source, and turn it into a "./configure, make, make install" type release
>and everything that is involved in doing so.

My first recommendation is always Kernighan and Pike's ``Unix
Programming Environment', ancient but still excellent.

Another is ``GNU Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool' by Vaughan,
Elliston, Tromey, and Taylor.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186 Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

Microsoft is to computers what Phillip Morris is to lungs.