Old 09-24-2010, 07:55 PM
Jerry Geis

Default Question on installing .run file

I am trying to automate the install of the ati driver package.
Basically all I do is hit return about 6 times and take all the defaults.

I tried to do this in a file that I then made executable with 744:

sh ati-driver-installer-10-8-x86.x86_64.run << EOF

EOF

but then it starts like its doing something but never does anything.

How might I automate such an install script. Again all I do is hit
return 6 times
and accept all the defaults.

Thanks,

Jerry

Old 09-25-2010, 03:04 AM
Anthony

On 25/09/10 05:55, Jerry Geis wrote:
> How might I automate such an install script.
Might I suggest expect:
http://oreilly.com/catalog/expect/chapter/ch03.html

Cheers,
ak.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Jerry Geis

> On 25/09/10 05:55, Jerry Geis wrote:
> >/ How might I automate such an install script.
> /Might I suggest expect:
> http://oreilly.com/catalog/expect/chapter/ch03.html
>
> Cheers,
> ak.

Anthonly

Is expect and send not part of CentOS?

on my x86_64 5.5 I do "whereis expect" and its not found.
I do a "man bash" an its not there.

I wrote the little script:
spawn sh ati-driver-installer-10-8-x86.x86_64.run
expect "RedHat Linux"
send "
"
expect "Install Driver"
send "
"
expect "RedHat Linux"
send "
"
expect "License Agreement"
send "
"
expect "Do you agree"
send "
"
expect "Recommended"
send "
"

and I get:
./tt.sh: line 1: spawn: command not found
./tt.sh: line 2: expect: command not found
./tt.sh: line 3: send: command not found
./tt.sh: line 4: expect: command not found
./tt.sh: line 5: send: command not found
./tt.sh: line 6: expect: command not found
./tt.sh: line 7: send: command not found
./tt.sh: line 8: expect: command not found
./tt.sh: line 9: send: command not found
./tt.sh: line 10: expect: command not found
./tt.sh: line 11: send: command not found
./tt.sh: line 12: expect: command not found
./tt.sh: line 13: send: command not found

Jerry

Old 09-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Jim Perrin

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 8:21 AM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:

> Is expect and send not part of CentOS?

Using which to check only works if you have it installed. You might
consider using yum's provides feature since you appear to not have it
already.

George Orwell

Old 09-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Jerry Geis

> Using which to check only works if you have it installed. You might
> consider using yum's provides feature since you appear to not have it
> already.

Jim,

Thanks - I did the 'yum provides "*/expect"' and found the expect package.
Did the install. However the spawn and send commands dont seem to be
part of that package.
Doing a yum provides on each gives me nothing.

I think the three commands are needed spawn,send and expect.

Am I missing something else?

Thanks so much,

Jerry

Old 09-28-2010, 08:27 AM
John Doe

From: Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com>

> However the spawn and send commands dont seem to be
> part of that package.
> Doing a yum provides on each gives me nothing.
> I think the three commands are needed spawn,send and expect.
> Am I missing something else?

Why not try the autoexpect command?
The man page says: generate an Expect script from watching a session

JD