Old 09-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Dotan Cohen

Default Configuring BIND to answer to two domain names (four IP addresses)

On a CentOS 5 server, I am having a hard time configuring BIND to
answer to 4 IP addresses for 2 domain names.

Currently, I have four IP addresses, for sake of discussion they are:
1.1.1.1
1.1.1.2
1.1.1.3
1.1.1.4

Additionally, I have two domain names. For sake of discussion:
exampleA.com
exampleB.com

My goal is to have 1.1.1.1 & 1.1.1.2 as the nameservers for
exampleA.com, and 1.1.1.3 & 1.1.1.4 as the nameservers for
exampleB.com. Apache is running on this machine, and should of course
serve pages for the sites.

I think that I've got the apache configuration down, but the BIND
configuration is eluding me. I've read the following fine manual, but
I am still stuck:
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deployment_Guide-en-US/ch-bind.html

Additionally, I have googled for "how to configure bind for multiple
domain names" and the like, but I see no mention of the IP addresses
configuration. Can I simply configure any IP address that the server
answers to as the nameservers? What am I missing?

Thank you in advance!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 09-24-2010, 05:14 PM
"James A. Peltier"

| On a CentOS 5 server, I am having a hard time configuring BIND to
| answer to 4 IP addresses for 2 domain names.
|
| Currently, I have four IP addresses, for sake of discussion they are:
| 1.1.1.1
| 1.1.1.2
| 1.1.1.3
| 1.1.1.4
|
| Additionally, I have two domain names. For sake of discussion:
| exampleA.com
| exampleB.com
|
| My goal is to have 1.1.1.1 & 1.1.1.2 as the nameservers for
| exampleA.com, and 1.1.1.3 & 1.1.1.4 as the nameservers for
| exampleB.com. Apache is running on this machine, and should of course
| serve pages for the sites.
|
| I think that I've got the apache configuration down, but the BIND
| configuration is eluding me. I've read the following fine manual, but
| I am still stuck:
| http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deployment_Guide-en-US/ch-bind.html
|
| Additionally, I have googled for "how to configure bind for multiple
| domain names" and the like, but I see no mention of the IP addresses
| configuration. Can I simply configure any IP address that the server
| answers to as the nameservers? What am I missing?
|
| Thank you in advance!
|
| --
| Dotan Cohen
|
| http://gibberish.co.il
| http://what-is-what.com

Have a read for the listen on directive for BIND which tells BIND what interfaces/IP Addresses to bind to. Alternatively, you could just configure BIND identically on both machines and ensure that they are setup in a master/slave configuration so that each name server could answer requests for both domains and publish both name server records in each domain.

--
James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director

Does your OS has a man 8 lart?
http://www.xinu.nl/unix/humour/asr-manpages/lart.html