Old 09-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Timo Schoeler

Default In the press, once again

May be a little bit off topic, but this gave me hard laugh:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/24/sysadmin_file_tools/

Windows admins use a virtualized CentOS machine to copy files because
their own tools are not able to handle copying a bigger amount of data.

Cheers,

Timo

Old 09-24-2010, 02:00 PM
"Gabriel Ogunleye"

Thank you *SO* much!

I needed some real world evidence to prove that syncing large amounts of
data across windows is a PITA! I'm currently doing something so similar!
And I use linux to do it, and no one can understand why. That link has
been printed, and strategically left on someones desk, with a post-it
note sayin - This is why I use linux

Old 09-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Tom Bishop

+1 Just Awesome.....ROFL.....too funny

Thanks for the link....

Old 09-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Timo Schoeler

thus Tom Bishop spake:
> +1 Just Awesome.....ROFL.....too funny
>

> Thanks for the link....

Maybe stuff for then next newsletter...?

Old 09-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Chris W Tucker

* Timo Schoeler (timo.schoeler@riscworks.net) wrote:
> May be a little bit off topic, but this gave me hard laugh:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/24/sysadmin_file_tools/
>
> Windows admins use a virtualized CentOS machine to copy files because
> their own tools are not able to handle copying a bigger amount of data. >

> Timo

Good stuff
Cheers,
Chris

Old 09-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 24 September 2010 14:23, Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net> wrote:
> Windows admins use a virtualized CentOS machine to copy files because
> their own tools are not able to handle copying a bigger amount of data.
Although I read the article with some amusement, I have to wonder
what's wrong with rsync (has a Windows port, albeit somewhat slow with
Cygwin implementation). His fallback is using cp which I found utterly
incomprehensible.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Les Mikesell

On 9/24/2010 10:37 AM, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
> On 24 September 2010 14:23, Timo Schoeler<timo.schoeler@riscworks.net> wrote:
>> Windows admins use a virtualized CentOS machine to copy files because
>> their own tools are not able to handle copying a bigger amount of data.
> Although I read the article with some amusement, I have to wonder
> what's wrong with rsync (has a Windows port, albeit somewhat slow with
> Cygwin implementation). His fallback is using cp which I found utterly
> incomprehensible.

The current (1.7.x) cygwin ssh/rsync are OK, but there is a long history
of earlier versions randomly hanging when rsync was running under sshd
(i.e. started remotely). It always worked with rsync configured as a
standalone daemon or when executed from the windows side using ssh to a
unix/linux target.

This used to be a problem when using backuppc to back up windows files
with rsync.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 09-24-2010, 04:27 PM

> May be a little bit off topic, but this gave me hard laugh:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/24/sysadmin_file_tools/

VERY nice! Thank you for the link!

Old 09-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Benjamin Franz

On 09/24/2010 08:37 AM, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
> On 24 September 2010 14:23, Timo Schoeler<timo.schoeler@riscworks.net> wrote:
>
>> Windows admins use a virtualized CentOS machine to copy files because
>> their own tools are not able to handle copying a bigger amount of data.
>>
> Although I read the article with some amusement, I have to wonder
> what's wrong with rsync (has a Windows port, albeit somewhat slow with
> Cygwin implementation). His fallback is using cp which I found utterly
> incomprehensible.

Until Cygwin's developers decide the join the rest of the window's
universe in having an *uninstaller* it will remain "not installed -
ever" on many people's systems, including mine. It is completely
unacceptable that it is happy to install, but that you have to
*manually* rip it out piece-by-piece if you ever want to uninstall it.

--
Benjamin Franz

Old 09-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Adam Tauno Williams

On Fri, 2010-09-24 at 09:54 -0700, Benjamin Franz wrote:
> On 09/24/2010 08:37 AM, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
> > On 24 September 2010 14:23, Timo Schoeler<timo.schoeler@riscworks.net> wrote:
> >> Windows admins use a virtualized CentOS machine to copy files because
> >> their own tools are not able to handle copying a bigger amount of data.
> > Although I read the article with some amusement, I have to wonder
> > what's wrong with rsync (has a Windows port, albeit somewhat slow with
> > Cygwin implementation). His fallback is using cp which I found utterly
> > incomprehensible
> Until Cygwin's developers decide the join the rest of the window's
> universe in having an *uninstaller* it will remain "not installed -
> ever" on many people's systems, including mine.

+1. There are numerous things with Cygwin that are very messy. It
avoid it at nearly all costs.

IMO, a windows system with Cygwin and Cygwin tools isn't really a
Windows system anymore; it is an crippled and ugly hybrid.