FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Keith Roberts
 
Default CentOS, Firefox, and Java Plugin

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Les Mikesell wrote:

> To: centos@centos.org
> From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] CentOS, Firefox, and Java Plugin
>
> On 9/24/2010 12:55 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>>
>>>> Well, other than that openjdk has not supplied/supported the java
>>>> browser plugin since last year, and the "workaround" is to install
>> Sun's, er,
>>>> sorry, Oracle's java....
>>>
>>> Has Oracle been any more sensible about building an RHEL-style (with
>>> appropriate locations and alternatives setup) RPM than Sun was?
>>
>> Haven't seen anything yet... except where Oracle put their name in place
>> of Sun's in the latest release of java, and *broke* a huge amount of
>> software... including Eclipse, becuase for some inane Java (sorry, I'm
>> repeating myself) reason, they were looking for the string "Sun
>> Microsystems", instead of *just* the version and subversion release
>> numbers....
>
> That's interesting... Well, no, it's strange. Does openjdk still have
> the sun name in the right place? And I thought RH had made their
> version of eclipse work with gjc before deciding to put Sun java in
> their update stream and later going with openjdk.

Well yes, it does work OK. The point being though it's an
old (stable) release of Eclipse, but nothing near the current
Eclipse 3.6.0 Helios release.

I'm in the middle of moving now, but when the dust settles I
will put my 'Installing Eclipse Helios 3.6.0 for PHP
developers' on Centos 5.5 on my site. It covers Java,
Xdebug, PDT, necessary repos, and starting to use the PDT
plugin for debugging local and remote PHP scripts. I might
even throw in a few screencasts. But that's another story
getting OT now.

Best Wishes,

Keith Roberts

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

All email addresses are challenge-response protected with
TMDA [http://tmda.net]
-----------------------------------------------------------------




>
> --
> Les Mikesell
> lesmikesell@gmail.com
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default CentOS, Firefox, and Java Plugin

On 9/24/2010 2:23 PM, Keith Roberts wrote:
>
> Well yes, it does work OK. The point being though it's an
> old (stable) release of Eclipse, but nothing near the current
> Eclipse 3.6.0 Helios release.
>
> I'm in the middle of moving now, but when the dust settles I
> will put my 'Installing Eclipse Helios 3.6.0 for PHP
> developers' on Centos 5.5 on my site. It covers Java,
> Xdebug, PDT, necessary repos, and starting to use the PDT
> plugin for debugging local and remote PHP scripts. I might
> even throw in a few screencasts. But that's another story
> getting OT now.

My take on things is that java and a lot of other things are really
intended to work with several versions concurrently available - and
perhaps running concurrently, where RPM wants to only have one and even
with alternatives can only make one the default. So any time you don't
want the defaults, you have some design decisions to make. Still, I'm
surprised that Sun and RH didn't make nice and have a publicly available
RPM that puts things in RH-style places.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Keith Roberts
 
Default CentOS, Firefox, and Java Plugin

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Les Mikesell wrote:

> To: centos@centos.org
> From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] CentOS, Firefox, and Java Plugin
>
> On 9/24/2010 2:23 PM, Keith Roberts wrote:
>>
>> Well yes, it does work OK. The point being though it's an
>> old (stable) release of Eclipse, but nothing near the current
>> Eclipse 3.6.0 Helios release.
>>
>> I'm in the middle of moving now, but when the dust settles I
>> will put my 'Installing Eclipse Helios 3.6.0 for PHP
>> developers' on Centos 5.5 on my site. It covers Java,
>> Xdebug, PDT, necessary repos, and starting to use the PDT
>> plugin for debugging local and remote PHP scripts. I might
>> even throw in a few screencasts. But that's another story
>> getting OT now.
>
> My take on things is that java and a lot of other things are really
> intended to work with several versions concurrently available - and
> perhaps running concurrently, where RPM wants to only have one and even
> with alternatives can only make one the default. So any time you don't
> want the defaults, you have some design decisions to make. Still, I'm
> surprised that Sun and RH didn't make nice and have a publicly available
> RPM that puts things in RH-style places.

Granted. My workaround is to just point apps to the
particular version of the JVM I want to use to run it,
without trying to uninstall the default Java package. For
example, running Eclipse with Sun's (Oracle's) Java:

To run Eclipse with an alternate Java runtime environment,
the path to the Java virtual machine's binary must be
identified.

Once the path to the virtual machine's binary has been
identified, try running Eclipse with the following command:

./eclipse -vm /path/to/jre/bin/java

For an actual example, it might look something like the
following:

./eclipse -vm /usr/lib/jvm/sun-java-6/bin/java
./eclipse -vm /opt/sun-jdk-1.6.0.02/bin/java

Regards,

Keith

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

All email addresses are challenge-response protected with
TMDA [http://tmda.net]
-----------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Dag Wieers
 
Default CentOS, Firefox, and Java Plugin

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On 9/24/2010 2:23 PM, Keith Roberts wrote:
>>
>> Well yes, it does work OK. The point being though it's an
>> old (stable) release of Eclipse, but nothing near the current
>> Eclipse 3.6.0 Helios release.
>>
>> I'm in the middle of moving now, but when the dust settles I
>> will put my 'Installing Eclipse Helios 3.6.0 for PHP
>> developers' on Centos 5.5 on my site. It covers Java,
>> Xdebug, PDT, necessary repos, and starting to use the PDT
>> plugin for debugging local and remote PHP scripts. I might
>> even throw in a few screencasts. But that's another story
>> getting OT now.
>
> My take on things is that java and a lot of other things are really
> intended to work with several versions concurrently available - and
> perhaps running concurrently, where RPM wants to only have one and even
> with alternatives can only make one the default. So any time you don't
> want the defaults, you have some design decisions to make. Still, I'm
> surprised that Sun and RH didn't make nice and have a publicly available
> RPM that puts things in RH-style places.

As you probably know, Red Hat does have various java flavours and versions
that can coexist using RPM available from their RHN Extras/Supplementary
channel. I guess licensing is one reason why it is not public, although it
does give Red Hat some added value for Enterprises, I am sure :-)

--
-- dag wieers, dag@wieers.com, http://dag.wieers.com/ --
[Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors]
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default CentOS, Firefox, and Java Plugin

On 9/27/10 7:31 AM, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> On 9/24/2010 2:23 PM, Keith Roberts wrote:
>>>
>>> Well yes, it does work OK. The point being though it's an
>>> old (stable) release of Eclipse, but nothing near the current
>>> Eclipse 3.6.0 Helios release.
>>>
>>> I'm in the middle of moving now, but when the dust settles I
>>> will put my 'Installing Eclipse Helios 3.6.0 for PHP
>>> developers' on Centos 5.5 on my site. It covers Java,
>>> Xdebug, PDT, necessary repos, and starting to use the PDT
>>> plugin for debugging local and remote PHP scripts. I might
>>> even throw in a few screencasts. But that's another story
>>> getting OT now.
>>
>> My take on things is that java and a lot of other things are really
>> intended to work with several versions concurrently available - and
>> perhaps running concurrently, where RPM wants to only have one and even
>> with alternatives can only make one the default. So any time you don't
>> want the defaults, you have some design decisions to make. Still, I'm
>> surprised that Sun and RH didn't make nice and have a publicly available
>> RPM that puts things in RH-style places.
>
> As you probably know, Red Hat does have various java flavours and versions
> that can coexist using RPM available from their RHN Extras/Supplementary
> channel. I guess licensing is one reason why it is not public, although it
> does give Red Hat some added value for Enterprises, I am sure :-)

Yes, but it was odd that Debian/Ubuntu offered packaged Sun Java for everyone
where RH only had it in the subscription updates. And even stranger that Sun's
own RPM didn't follow RH standards. I suppose they'd rather have you run
solaris, but making something difficult isn't the way to get people to like your
products.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:24 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org