Old 09-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Mathieu Baudier

Default CentOS, Firefox, and Java Plugin

> Apparently I don't have the java plugin browser installed. *I've tried
> to install it using the rpm.bin file at
> <http://java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp?locale=en&host=java.com>,
> but it's erroring out: "/bin/sh: bad interpreter: Text file busy".

If you want to keep it simple, I would not try to install at the same
time the base CentOS OpenJdk RPMs and the Sun RPM.
If you don't care much about control (in the free software sense) on
your Java installation and just need the plugin, I guess you should go
for the Sun RPM after uninstalling the base OpenJdk packages.

Maybe some people on the list have other opinions / tips.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Barry Brimer

Quoting Mathieu Baudier <mbaudier@argeo.org>:

> > Apparently I don't have the java plugin browser installed. *I've tried
> > to install it using the rpm.bin file at
> > <http://java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp?locale=en&host=java.com>,
> > but it's erroring out: "/bin/sh: bad interpreter: Text file busy".

Have you tried using dos2unix against the downloaded file?

Old 09-24-2010, 04:28 PM

Mathieu Baudier wrote:
>> Apparently I don't have the java plugin browser installed. *I've tried
>> to install it using the rpm.bin file at
>> <http://java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp?locale=en&host=java.com>,
>> but it's erroring out: "/bin/sh: bad interpreter: Text file busy".
>
> If you want to keep it simple, I would not try to install at the same
> time the base CentOS OpenJdk RPMs and the Sun RPM.
> If you don't care much about control (in the free software sense) on
> your Java installation and just need the plugin, I guess you should go
> for the Sun RPM after uninstalling the base OpenJdk packages.
>
> Maybe some people on the list have other opinions / tips.

Well, other than that openjdk has not supplied/supported the java browser
plugin since last year, and the "workaround" is to install Sun's, er,
sorry, Oracle's java....

mark

Old 09-24-2010, 04:59 PM
ken

On 09/24/2010 10:53 AM Barry Brimer wrote:
> Quoting Mathieu Baudier <mbaudier@argeo.org>:
>
>>> Apparently I don't have the java plugin browser installed. I've tried
>>> to install it using the rpm.bin file at
>>> <http://java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp?locale=en&host=java.com>,
>>> but it's erroring out: "/bin/sh: bad interpreter: Text file busy".
>
> Have you tried using dos2unix against the downloaded file?

Thanks for jumping in, but I doubt that would resolve the issue.

First, the file (from java.com) is specifically for Linux RPM... or so
it's labeled on the website. So I'd strongly doubt that would be the
problem.

Secondly (and more definitively), the script contains a "sum" command
(containing something like a CRC, I'm guessing) which checks its own
contents and then bails if it detects that it's been altered. So unless
I want to do some pretty serious hacking, I can't alter the script.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Les Mikesell

On 9/24/2010 11:28 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

>>> Apparently I don't have the java plugin browser installed. I've tried
>>> to install it using the rpm.bin file at
>>> <http://java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp?locale=en&host=java.com>,
>>> but it's erroring out: "/bin/sh: bad interpreter: Text file busy".
>>
>> If you want to keep it simple, I would not try to install at the same
>> time the base CentOS OpenJdk RPMs and the Sun RPM.
>> If you don't care much about control (in the free software sense) on
>> your Java installation and just need the plugin, I guess you should go
>> for the Sun RPM after uninstalling the base OpenJdk packages.
>>
>> Maybe some people on the list have other opinions / tips.
>
> Well, other than that openjdk has not supplied/supported the java browser
> plugin since last year, and the "workaround" is to install Sun's, er,
> sorry, Oracle's java....

Has Oracle been any more sensible about building an RHEL-style (with
appropriate locations and alternatives setup) RPM than Sun was?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 09-24-2010, 05:55 PM

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> If you want to keep it simple, I would not try to install at the same
>>> time the base CentOS OpenJdk RPMs and the Sun RPM.
>>> If you don't care much about control (in the free software sense) on
>>> your Java installation and just need the plugin, I guess you should go
>>> for the Sun RPM after uninstalling the base OpenJdk packages.
>>>
>>> Maybe some people on the list have other opinions / tips.
>>
>> Well, other than that openjdk has not supplied/supported the java
>> browser plugin since last year, and the "workaround" is to install
Sun's, er,
>> sorry, Oracle's java....
>
> Has Oracle been any more sensible about building an RHEL-style (with
> appropriate locations and alternatives setup) RPM than Sun was?

Haven't seen anything yet... except where Oracle put their name in place
of Sun's in the latest release of java, and *broke* a huge amount of
software... including Eclipse, becuase for some inane Java (sorry, I'm
repeating myself) reason, they were looking for the string "Sun
Microsystems", instead of *just* the version and subversion release
numbers....

mark

Old 09-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Les Mikesell

>>> Well, other than that openjdk has not supplied/supported the java
>>> browser plugin since last year, and the "workaround" is to install
> Sun's, er,
>>> sorry, Oracle's java....
>>
>> Has Oracle been any more sensible about building an RHEL-style (with
>> appropriate locations and alternatives setup) RPM than Sun was?
>
> Haven't seen anything yet... except where Oracle put their name in place
> of Sun's in the latest release of java, and *broke* a huge amount of
> software... including Eclipse, becuase for some inane Java (sorry, I'm
> repeating myself) reason, they were looking for the string "Sun
> Microsystems", instead of *just* the version and subversion release
> numbers....

That's interesting... Well, no, it's strange. Does openjdk still have
the sun name in the right place? And I thought RH had made their
version of eclipse work with gjc before deciding to put Sun java in
their update stream and later going with openjdk.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 09-24-2010, 06:15 PM

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> Has Oracle been any more sensible about building an RHEL-style (with
>>> appropriate locations and alternatives setup) RPM than Sun was?
>>
>> Haven't seen anything yet... except where Oracle put their name in place
>> of Sun's in the latest release of java, and *broke* a huge amount of
>> software... including Eclipse, becuase for some inane Java (sorry, I'm
>> repeating myself) reason, they were looking for the string "Sun
>> Microsystems", instead of *just* the version and subversion release
>> numbers....
>
> That's interesting... Well, no, it's strange. Does openjdk still have
> the sun name in the right place? And I thought RH had made their
> version of eclipse work with gjc before deciding to put Sun java in
> their update stream and later going with openjdk.

No idea, but here's the tale:
<http://it.slashdot.org/story/10/07/28/2121259/Oracles-Java-Company-Change-Breaks-Eclipse>

mark

Old 09-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Les Mikesell

>> That's interesting... Well, no, it's strange. Does openjdk still have
>> the sun name in the right place? And I thought RH had made their
>> version of eclipse work with gjc before deciding to put Sun java in
>> their update stream and later going with openjdk.
>
> No idea, but here's the tale:
> <http://it.slashdot.org/story/10/07/28/2121259/Oracles-Java-Company-Change-Breaks-Eclipse>

A couple of notes: (a) it only affected windows - has to do with needing
to know platform-specific options when starting the initial jvm, and (b)
an update backed out the change in a couple of days. So overall, I'd
say worse things have happened - and in things like gcc.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 09-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Keith Roberts

Apparently I don't have the java plugin browser installed. *I've tried
to install it using the rpm.bin file at
<http://java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp?locale=en&host=java.com>,
but it's erroring out: "/bin/sh: bad interpreter: Text file busy".

If you want to keep it simple, I would not try to install at the same
time the base CentOS OpenJdk RPMs and the Sun RPM.
If you don't care much about control (in the free software sense) on
your Java installation and just need the plugin, I guess you should go
for the Sun RPM after uninstalling the base OpenJdk packages.

Maybe some people on the list have other opinions / tips.

Here's a link on the Centos forum regarding Java:

https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=27062&forum=38&post_id=1114 13#forumpost111413

FWIW - Eclipse IDE 3.6.0 Helios from upstream will NOT work
with the default Centos Java package. So you will need to
install Sun's Java to get Eclipse working on Centos.

HTH

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net