Old 09-21-2010, 11:17 PM
Al Sparks

Default Recompiling CentOS's stock openssl

I'm running CentOS release 4.8.

For security reasons, I have to modify openssl's ssl.h in /usr/include/openssl/.

That's easy. But for the new settings to take effect, I have to recompile
openssl. I do have openssl-devel installed.

How do I recompile?
=== Al

Old 09-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Al Sparks <data345@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm running CentOS release 4.8.
>
> For security reasons, I have to modify openssl's ssl.h in /usr/include/openssl/.
>
> That's easy. *But for the new settings to take effect, I have to recompile
> openssl. *I do have openssl-devel installed.

You need to grab the openssl source rpm then install that. Modify the
spec file and add your patches, then recompile. The devel package is
for building apps that link to openssl.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 04:17:54PM -0700, Al Sparks wrote:
> I'm running CentOS release 4.8.
>
> For security reasons, I have to modify openssl's ssl.h in /usr/include/openssl/.
>
> That's easy. But for the new settings to take effect, I have to recompile
> openssl. I do have openssl-devel installed.
>
> How do I recompile?

The right way to do this would be to get the openssl SRPM, create a
patch against the stock sources that modifies the .h file you need to
change and include that patch in the .spec file build process.

You'd then generate a custom RPM that would replace the stock RPM.

Of course, make sure you _really_ need to do this. You'll now need to
track security changes yourself.

Ray