Old 09-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default Logwatch verbosity

I'm getting literally hundreds of lines in my daily logwatch
(under Centos-5.5), reading
---------------------------------------
NULL security context for user, but SELinux in permissive mode,
continuing ()
---------------------------------------

These began when I started running fail2ban (with shorewall),
though that is probably a coincidence.

In any case, what does this line mean,
and is there any way of stopping it (short of stopping selinux)?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 09-21-2010, 02:06 PM

Tim,

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm getting literally hundreds of lines in my daily logwatch
> (under Centos-5.5), reading
> ---------------------------------------
> NULL security context for user, but SELinux in permissive mode,
> continuing ()
> ---------------------------------------
>
> These began when I started running fail2ban (with shorewall),
> though that is probably a coincidence.
>
> In any case, what does this line mean,
> and is there any way of stopping it (short of stopping selinux)?

Sounds to me as though it's *not* a coincidence. Who does fail2ban run as
- for us, it's root, but is it different for you?

mark

Old 09-22-2010, 12:53 AM
Timothy Murphy

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

>> I'm getting literally hundreds of lines in my daily logwatch
>> (under Centos-5.5), reading
>> ---------------------------------------
>> NULL security context for user, but SELinux in permissive mode,
>> continuing ()
>> ---------------------------------------
>>
>> These began when I started running fail2ban (with shorewall),
>> though that is probably a coincidence.
>>
>> In any case, what does this line mean,
>> and is there any way of stopping it (short of stopping selinux)?

> Sounds to me as though it's *not* a coincidence. Who does fail2ban run as
> - for us, it's root, but is it different for you?

It is running as root, according to "ps aux | grep fail2ban".
(I run it as a service "sudo service fail2ban restart".)

Do you get my message (NULL security context ...)?
I've no idea what this means, or what it is referring to.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:21 AM
mark

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>
>>> I'm getting literally hundreds of lines in my daily logwatch
>>> (under Centos-5.5), reading
>>> ---------------------------------------
>>> NULL security context for user, but SELinux in permissive mode,
>>> continuing ()
>>> ---------------------------------------
>>>
>>> These began when I started running fail2ban (with shorewall),
>>> though that is probably a coincidence.
>>>
>>> In any case, what does this line mean,
>>> and is there any way of stopping it (short of stopping selinux)?
>
>> Sounds to me as though it's *not* a coincidence. Who does fail2ban run as
>> - for us, it's root, but is it different for you?
>
> It is running as root, according to "ps aux | grep fail2ban".
> (I run it as a service "sudo service fail2ban restart".)
>
> Do you get my message (NULL security context ...)?
> I've no idea what this means, or what it is referring to.

selinux. *bleah*

mark