Old 09-20-2010, 04:11 PM
"James B. Byrne"

Default Gnome mouse configuration.

On my Centos-5.5 (x64) based desktop the optical mouse I originally
configured during the system install has died. In
/etc/sysconfig/hwconf this is configured as:

class: MOUSE
bus: USB
detached: 0
device: input/mice
driver: genericwheelusb
desc: "Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM)"
usbclass: 3
usbsubclass: 1
usbprotocol: 2
usbbus: 4
usblevel: 1
usbport: 0
usbdev: 4
vendorId: 045e
deviceId: 0053
usbmfr: Microsoft
usbprod: Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM)

I have replaced the failed mouse with a spare from our surplus parts
cabinet and now the centre wheel/button click no longer inserts
selected text at the current cursor position. I would like to
obtain this feature with the replacement mouse, which is described
on the bottom as a MicroSoft Optical Mouse Blue USB and PS/2
compatible. It has a usb connector which is plugged directly into
the chassis usb port.

All the other features of the mouse seem to work just fine. I
simply cannot obtain the centre button click insert capability. Is
there no way to simply force CentOS-5 to re-detect the attached
mouse? It must have done something akin to this during the initial
install.

I tried running kudzu as root from a gnome terminal session but that
had no effect that I can detect.

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241