Old 09-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Tom Bishop

Default RHEL 6 potential release date???

Benn playing with the beta's and have looked around for a potential release date...Does anyone know what the likely date is??? Thanks....

Old 09-17-2010, 09:05 PM
"John R. Dennison"

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 03:16:59PM -0500, Tom Bishop wrote:
> Benn playing with the beta's and have looked around for a potential release
> date...Does anyone know what the likely date is??? Thanks....

"When it is ready and not a second before."

I would suggest you ask upstream but they will tell you the
exact same thing.

John
--
"Since every individual is accountable ultimately to the self, the formation
of that self demands our utmost care and attention."

-- A Bene Gesserit teaching spoken by Miles Teg in "Chapterhouse: Dune"
by Frank Herbert

Old 09-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Tom Bishop

Thanks and Yes and I agree and know that, but I was just wondering if they had a potential target date.....I have read September and also October but was wondering if any of that was more than speculation....

Old 09-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Les Mikesell

On 9/17/2010 4:05 PM, John R. Dennison wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 03:16:59PM -0500, Tom Bishop wrote:
>> Benn playing with the beta's and have looked around for a potential release
>> date...Does anyone know what the likely date is??? Thanks....
>
> "When it is ready and not a second before."
>
> I would suggest you ask upstream but they will tell you the
> exact same thing.

I thought that was the debian mantra. And also the reason we don't use it.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 09-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Mike Hanby

I thought it was the Id mantra :-)

I've been checking around and haven't heard anything other than speculation.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:49 PM
"John R. Dennison"

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 04:14:19PM -0500, Tom Bishop wrote:
> Thanks and Yes and I agree and know that, but I was just wondering if they
> had a potential target date.....I have read September and also October but
> was wondering if any of that was more than speculation....

It's *all* speculation. Redhat does not discuss release dates.

You can, perhaps, draw conclussions as to imminent release based
on bugzilla activity, but that is by no means a sure thing.

John

--
DMR: So fsck was originally called something else.
Q: What was it called?

-- Dennis M. Ritchie, Usenix, June 18, 1998.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:51 PM
"John R. Dennison"

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 04:19:21PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> I thought that was the debian mantra. And also the reason we don't use it.

Who is this "we" you speak of? What I posted was the hard cold
truth of the matter. Redhat does not discuss release dates
with the public, so "it will be released when it is ready and
not a second before" is as close as you are going to get from
anyone with regards to a release date.

John
--
The men the American public admire most extravagantly are the most daring
liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them

-- H. L. Mencken (1880-1956), journalist, satirist, and freethinker, The
Smart set, Volume 68 (with George Jean Nathan) p 49 (1922)

Old 10-10-2010, 07:08 PM
BeartoothHOS