Old 09-14-2010, 03:18 PM
fred smith

Default using NUT on centos 5

Hi!

Trying to set up NUT on Centos 5 to monitor a CyberPower 1500AVR UPS.

There seem to be many documents, all of which seem to be not fully consistent
with each other, and most of them aren't up to date.

I'm guessing I should be using udev rather than hal, but I'm somewhat
stumped on how to figure out what device it should be monitoring. there
are a bunch of udev rules installed (in /lib/udev/rules.d/52-nut-usbups.rules)
but it's not at all clear to me what, if anything, I'm supposed to do with
them, or how I cause udev to see them there and do its thing.

there's a document at http://fedoranews.org/contributors/kazutoshi_morioka/nut/
but it doesn't show how to do it with a USB device, only serial.

so I decided to move on and see if it could be made to work without
that understanding, using whatever I could figure out using the INSTALL
file that comes with NUT.

And that isn't geting me anywhere, so far.

If anyone out there has had success at setting up NUT on Centos 5 (or RHEL)
and can offer any advice, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks in advance!

glorious presence without fault and with great joy--
to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority,
through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."

Old 09-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Pat and Lori Boyer

I have NUT configured on a few of my CentOS servers. I compiled and installed from source (2.4.3), so all of my nut-related files sit under /usr/local/ups. I am using a Liebert UPS. Here's how I have it working:

Connect a serial cable from your server to the UPS (if available; USB is an option on some models, I think). The nut software can communicate with the UPS via serial on a ttyS (mine is /dev/ttyS0). This server (directly attached) must run upsd. Other servers that use the same UPS can communicate with upsd running on the first server via upsmon. All servers must run upsmon (this is what actually monitors the UPS).

Configure ups.conf with information about your UPS (mine is liebert). The nut docs have a list of supported hardware and the drivers that you use for them (I use the driver 'liebert'):

[liebert]
******* driver = liebert

******* port = /dev/ttyS0

At least one server attached to each UPS must run upsd. Here's my upsd.conf (comments removed). Note that the second line uses the IP address of the LAN interface on your server, so that other machines on the same subnet can communicate with upsd:

LISTEN 127.0.0.1 3493
LISTEN 172.21.97.1 3493

You have to configure upsd.users to allow access to certain users (one for each upsmon process that will communicate with upsd). This information will be used to configure upsmon on the clients. For example, I have two servers listed here: the local server (server1) and another server attached to the same UPS (server2):

[server1-ups]
* password* = server1-ups-pass
* upsmon master
[server2-ups]
* password* = server2-ups-pass
* upsmon slave

Configure upsmon.conf on each client. Based on the example above, here's the upsmon.conf for server1:

FINALDELAY 5
MONITOR liebert@localhost 1 server1-ups server1-ups-pass master

... and the upsmon.conf for server2:

FINALDELAY 5
MONITOR liebert@server1 1 server2-ups server2-ups-pass master

Once you have ups.conf, upsd.conf, upsd.users, and upsmon.conf configured, you can test you connections like the following:

[root@server1 ~]# /usr/local/ups/bin/upsc liebert@localhost
device.mfr: Liebert
device.model: MultiLink
device.type: ups
driver.name: liebert
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2

driver.parameter.port: /dev/ttyS0
driver.version: 2.4.3
driver.version.internal: 1.02
ups.mfr: Liebert
ups.model: MultiLink
ups.status: OL LB

[root@server2 ~]# /usr/local/ups/bin/upsc liebert@server1

device.mfr: Liebert
device.model: MultiLink
device.type: ups
driver.name: liebert
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: /dev/ttyS0
driver.version: 2.4.3

driver.version.internal: 1.02
ups.mfr: Liebert
ups.model: MultiLink
ups.status: OL LB

Don't forget to add the nut software to your startup scripts and appropriate runlevels. Hope this helps.

Pat Boyer

[...]

*"For him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his

Old 09-21-2010, 04:37 PM
fred smith

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 10:01:47AM -0400, Pat and Lori Boyer wrote:
> I have NUT configured on a few of my CentOS servers. I compiled and
> installed from source (2.4.3), so all of my nut-related files sit under
> /usr/local/ups. I am using a Liebert UPS. Here's how I have it working:
>
> Connect a serial cable from your server to the UPS (if available; USB is an
> option on some models, I think). The nut software can communicate with the
> UPS via serial on a ttyS (mine is /dev/ttyS0). This server (directly
> attached) must run upsd. Other servers that use the same UPS can communicate
> with upsd running on the first server via upsmon. All servers must run
> upsmon (this is what actually monitors the UPS).

Yes, that would be, I think, straightforward. But mine uses USB, and
despite the instructions with NUT, I can't figure out how to tell it
which USB device to use. I'd appreciate hints on that, should anyone
know.

thanks for the reply, though!

> [...]
> > but it doesn't show how to do it with a USB device, only serial.
> >
> > so I decided to move on and see if it could be made to work without
> > that understanding, using whatever I could figure out using the INSTALL
> > file that comes with NUT.
> >
> > And that isn't geting me anywhere, so far.
> >
> > If anyone out there has had success at setting up NUT on Centos 5 (or RHEL)
> > and can offer any advice, I'd appreciate hearing from you.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > --
> > ---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us-----------------------------
> > "For him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before
> > his
> > glorious presence without fault and with great joy--
> > to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority,
> > through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore!

community.
--Roger Ebert, December, 1996