Old 08-17-2010, 09:48 AM
John Doe

Default Need tip on an inexpensive printer for college student using CentOS 5.5

From: David McGuffey <davidmcguffey@verizon.net>

> Looking to buy an inexpensive printer he can use on both sides of this
> laptop. Any suggestions?

Bought for the office an Epson C2800n (color laser) for something like 250€
(after rebates)...
A bit big, but works fine, PS, 128MB of cache, networked (Windows and cups set
it up auto-magicaly), descent speed, not too noisy, cheap in the long run...
Ok... it is huge (24.0 Kg)... ^_^

JD

Old 08-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Robert Heller

> Greetings,
>

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 12:20 AM, David McGuffey
> <davidmcguffey@verizon.net> wrote:
> >
> > Looking to buy an inexpensive printer he can use on both sides of this
> > laptop. *Any suggestions?
> >
> > Dave M
> >

> I heard somewhare that *all* Lexmark printers are well supported under linux

It *used* to be that that *inkjets* were not. The *lasers* are all
PostScript. (This might have changed since the last time *I* looked at
Lexmark.)

heller@deepsoft.com -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk

Old 08-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Timothy Murphy

I noticed someone mentioned HP OfficeJet's.
I have a J4580, which is not supported under Centos-5.5.
(In fact, very few OfficeJet's seem to be supported.)

However, Dag Wieers pointed out that one has to install
the latest hplip (together with hpijs and libsane)
from <http://packages.sw.be/hplip/>.

I did this, and find the OfficeJet works perfectly now
under CentOS.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 08-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Robert Heller

> I noticed someone mentioned HP OfficeJet's.
> I have a J4580, which is not supported under Centos-5.5.
> (In fact, very few OfficeJet's seem to be supported.)
>
> However, Dag Wieers pointed out that one has to install
> the latest hplip (together with hpijs and libsane)
> from <http://packages.sw.be/hplip/>.
>
> I did this, and find the OfficeJet works perfectly now
> under CentOS.

Yes, HP *InkJets* need 'bleeding edge' 'drivers' (which are really just
means that the additional model *names* have been added to the
'driver'), along with the needed .ppd files for the new printers. I
don't think the new printers require any new actual *code* -- they all
use the same basic raster format and the same basic driver protocol
(they all use the same GS ijs rasterizer).

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller@deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/