Old 08-15-2010, 08:45 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default how many folks are *seriously* using ACLs?

i'm just curious -- how many people here are using ACLs as a regular
and significant part of their sys admin?

rday

http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 08-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Scott Robbins

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 04:45:02PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> i'm just curious -- how many people here are using ACLs as a regular
> and significant part of their sys admin?

We use it on an FTP server, as it seemed to be the easiest way to make
some directories read-only to some people and read/write for others.
I've forgotten what we tried beforehand and why it wasn't working, but
we found it convenient to allow some FTP shares to have different rights
for different users.

Used an old Fedora 2 tutorial.

http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/ACL/linux-acl.html
--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Willow: Everything seems normal. Not a snake, not a wasp.
Cordelia: Yup. School can open tomorrow.
Xander: Explain to me again how that's a good thing?
Cordelia: I'm drawing a blank.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Jay Leafey

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

i'm just curious -- how many people here are using ACLs as a regular
and significant part of their sys admin?

rday

I use ACLs extensively at work. Usually it is designed to grant write
access to developers or groups of developers to working directories.

--
Jay Leafey - jay.leafey@mindless.com
Memphis, TN

Old 08-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Szabo Akos

Hi!

On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 16:45 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> i'm just curious -- how many people here are using ACLs as a regular
> and significant part of their sys admin?

For samba, with more then five users... Indispensable!

--
Szabo Akos <fonya@fatav.hu>

Old 08-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Barry Brimer

> i'm just curious -- how many people here are using ACLs as a regular
> and significant part of their sys admin?

I use it in web hosting .. use ACLs to grant access to the user
running the web server only on files that need it. Great for protecting
write access.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:11 AM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 2:15 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> *i'm just curious -- how many people here are using ACLs as a regular
> and significant part of their sys admin?

I have used the ext3 (with acl mount option), gfs filesystem on centos
cluster with over 300 users -- of which over 150 users changed every
year.

I have used acl in conjunction with SVN repo.

Have configured samba server with fairly extensive acl.

(Not to mention the heavy duty acl usage in netware 4.x NDS which I
managed for around 8 years)

Regards,

Rajagopal

Old 08-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Alan Hodgson

On Sunday, August 15, 2010, "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca>
wrote:
> i'm just curious -- how many people here are using ACLs as a regular
> and significant part of their sys admin?
>
> rday

Samba shares (a lot). subversion repositories. Some web directories.

Default ACLs make file sharing permissions work _almost_ as well as Novell
permissions did 20 years ago. Without the nice interface, though.

--
"No animals were harmed in the recording of this episode. We tried but that
damn monkey was just too fast."

Old 08-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Alan Hodgson <ahodgson@simkin.ca> wrote:
> On Sunday, August 15, 2010, "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca>
> wrote:
>
> Default ACLs make file sharing permissions work _almost_ as well as Novell
> permissions did 20 years ago. Without the nice interface, though.

naah... what was netadmin (nwadmin)

Old 08-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Alan Hodgson

On Monday, August 16, 2010, Rajagopal Swaminathan <raju.rajsand@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Alan Hodgson <ahodgson@simkin.ca> wrote:
> > On Sunday, August 15, 2010, "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Default ACLs make file sharing permissions work _almost_ as well as
> > Novell permissions did 20 years ago. Without the nice interface,
> > though.
>
> naah... what was netadmin (nwadmin)

Yeah I meant Novell's was better.