-   -   Retrieving POP mail from server to server (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/412371-retrieving-pop-mail-server-server.html)

Jussi Hirvi 08-13-2010 10:37 AM

Retrieving POP mail from server to server

I need to transfer a client's email inbox from another mail server to
our mail server (Centos 5). This is needed once only (or maybe a couple
of times).

What is the best command-line tool? Fetchmail?

I did this once before, with another tool, but have forgotten.

- Jussi

--
Jussi Hirvi * Green Spot
Topeliuksenkatu 15 C * 00250 Helsinki * Finland

Eero Volotinen 08-13-2010 10:44 AM

2010/8/13 Jussi Hirvi <listmember@greenspot.fi>:
> I need to transfer a client's email inbox from another mail server to
> our mail server (Centos 5). This is needed once only (or maybe a couple
> of times).
>
> What is the best command-line tool? Fetchmail?
>
> I did this once before, with another tool, but have forgotten.

really pop3 box? Usually pop3 stores mail on local machine.

on imap system imapsync is really good tool to do this.

maybe there is some tools available: http://www.athensfbc.com/imap_tools/

br,

--
Eero,
RHCE

James Hogarth 08-13-2010 10:57 AM

Retrieving POP mail from server to server

> really pop3 box? Usually pop3 stores mail on local machine.
>
> on imap system imapsync is really good tool to do this.
>
> maybe there is some tools available: http://www.athensfbc.com/imap_tools/
>
> br,

You are confusing protocol with client....

And yes I'd suggest fetchmail scripted to do this (given it is a one
off) so long as the email service your system is going to provide will
be storing in whatever the local user storage that fetchmail will be
dumping into... or even so long as you can parse the appropriate
.mailbox (or whatever) files and import them to your system.

James

"Mihai T. Lazarescu" 08-13-2010 11:25 AM

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:57:22AM +0100, James Hogarth wrote:

> And yes I'd suggest fetchmail scripted to do this (given it is a one
> off) so long as the email service your system is going to provide will
> be storing in whatever the local user storage that fetchmail will be
> dumping into... or even so long as you can parse the appropriate
> .mailbox (or whatever) files and import them to your system.

I think also a simple move of all messages from remote to
local folder using mutt, for instance, should go.

Mihai

Whit Blauvelt 08-13-2010 12:28 PM

Retrieving POP mail from server to server

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:57:22AM +0100, James Hogarth wrote:

> And yes I'd suggest fetchmail scripted to do this (given it is a one
> off)

Or fetchmail plus procmail to get it to the proper place.

Whit

kalinix 08-13-2010 01:04 PM

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 08:28 -0400, Whit Blauvelt wrote:

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:57:22AM +0100, James Hogarth wrote:

> And yes I'd suggest fetchmail scripted to do this (given it is a one
> off)

Or fetchmail plus procmail to get it to the proper place.

Whit

If you are using same pop server (e.g. dovecot) on both machines, you can just rsync the mail directory from source to destination. Of course, you have to pay attention to permissions afterwards.

--

Calin

Key fingerprint = 37B8 0DA5 9B2A 8554 FB2B 4145 5DC1 15DD A3EF E857

You'd better smile when they watch you, smile like you're in control. -- Smile, "Was (Not Was)"