Old 08-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Jerry Franz

Default Ethernet Quad

On 08/12/2010 06:06 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Jerry Franz<jfranz@freerun.com> wrote:
>
>> On 08/12/2010 05:56 AM, Daniel Bruno wrote:
>>
>>> Someone can indicate some Ethernet device Quad 10/100 to use with CentOS 5.x
>> I don't know about 10/100. For 10/100/1000 I use Intel quad port boards.
>> They work fine.
>>

> Sorry to hijack this thread, but it could be relevant.
> As matter of interest, do these cards offer lower throughput than 4x
> single 1GB cards?

Depends mostly on if you are using PCI/PCI-X vs PCI-express. At high bit
rates you can saturate the old PCI bus. A single gigabit port can pretty
much saturate a 32-bit PCI bus at 33MHz.

PCI-express can go a lot faster.

--
Benjamin Franz

Old 08-12-2010, 01:26 PM
"Michel van Deventer"

> On 08/12/2010 06:06 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

>>> I don't know about 10/100. For 10/100/1000 I use Intel quad port
>>> boards.
>>> They work fine.
>>>

>> Sorry to hijack this thread, but it could be relevant.
>> As matter of interest, do these cards offer lower throughput than 4x
>> single 1GB cards?
If you should use them in a PCI slot yes, not if you use them in a PCI-X
or PCI-e slot (although you could saturate a PCI-e x1 with 4 gbit ports I
think).

> Depends mostly on if you are using PCI/PCI-X vs PCI-express. At high bit
> rates you can saturate the old PCI bus. A single gigabit port can pretty
> much saturate a 32-bit PCI bus at 33MHz.
>
> PCI-express can go a lot faster.
The Intel Quad cards don't fit (and don't then) in a single PCI slot.
The Intel Dual Gbit cards do and you can saturate a PCI slot with it quite
easy

Regards,

Michel

Old 08-12-2010, 01:27 PM
"Alexander Dalloz"

>> As matter of interest, do these cards offer lower throughput than 4x
>> single 1GB cards?

> Depends mostly on if you are using PCI/PCI-X vs PCI-express. At high bit
> rates you can saturate the old PCI bus. A single gigabit port can pretty
> much saturate a 32-bit PCI bus at 33MHz.
>
> PCI-express can go a lot faster.

> Benjamin Franz

And on current multi CPU / multi core plattforms care to have support for
MSI-X on the motherboard and by the Ethernet controller (for 10Gbe and
virtualization this is even a must to gain maximum performance).

Alexander

Old 08-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Drew

>>> Sorry to hijack this thread, but it could be relevant.
>>> As matter of interest, do these cards offer lower throughput than 4x
>>> single 1GB cards?
> If you should use them in a PCI slot yes, not if you use them in a PCI-X
> or PCI-e slot (although you could saturate a PCI-e x1 with 4 gbit ports I
> think).

Not with the Intel Pro 1000's. The PCIe versions require a x4 slot in
the dual or quad configuration. Can't speak to the PCI-X version as I
don't have any in my inventory.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie

Old 08-12-2010, 06:01 PM
John R Pierce

On 08/12/10 10:35 AM, Drew wrote:
> Not with the Intel Pro 1000's. The PCIe versions require a x4 slot in
> the dual or quad configuration. Can't speak to the PCI-X version as I
> don't have any in my inventory.

yeah, a single PCI-E 'lane' (eg, x1) is only about twice as fast as a
PCI 32 bit 33Mhz desktop slot. (250MB/sec vs 133MB/sec burst). As soon
as you get into multiple devices contending for a channel, actual
performance goes down considerably due to the overhead of contention
negotiation.

PCI-E x4 has 4 of these lanes, so each of the 4 NICs can effectively
have a lane to itself. Full duplex gigE is, in theory, capable of
120MB/sec read *and* 120MB/sec write at the same time, so this exceeds
that single 32bit/33Mhz PCI slot by quite a lot..

PCI-E x4 is roughly equivalent to PCI-X (100-133Mhz, 64bit, about
1Gbyte/sec), and any high performance IO device in a server should be in
a x4 slot.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Dan Carl

On 8/12/2010 7:56 AM, Daniel Bruno wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Someone can indicate some Ethernet device Quad 10/100 to use with CentOS 5.x?
>

> Thanks,

I use an Intel Pro 10/100 board on a CentOS 5.5 based router works quite
well.
I've been using it since RH 7.2 so its well supported under CentOS
I bought mine as a dual and then upgraded it to a quad (was way cheaper
at the time).
Intel made them for Compaq also.
Dan