Old 08-11-2010, 04:31 PM
sync

Default ATI mobility Radeon HD 5470

Hi , guys:

I have a new Acer* laptop and I have installed CentOS 5.5 x86_64 bit.

The problem is that there is no driver for the ATI mobility radeon HD5470* and the graphic is so bad!

On amd-ati website I have found the catalyst driver version 10.2 butit seems not to be the correct solution.

The current screen resolution is 1024x768, but my laptop is widescreen and the best screen resolution is 1366x768.

Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks in advance ....

Old 08-11-2010, 05:38 PM

sync writes:

> ź HTML content follows ╗
>
> Hi , guys:
>
> I have a new Acer* laptop and I have installed CentOS 5.5 x86_64 bit.
>
> The problem is that there is no driver for the ATI mobility radeon
> HD5470* and the graphic is so bad!
>
> On amd-ati website I have found the catalyst driver version 10.2 butit
> seems not to be the correct solution.
>

> The current screen resolution is 1024x768, but my laptop is widescreen
> and the best screen resolution is 1366x768.
>

> Do you have any suggestion?
>
> Thanks in advance ....
>

> <URL:http://ubuntuforums.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&amp;p=8970366>[Rep
> ly With Quote]

The driver should work:
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver
-installer-10-7-x86.x86_64.run

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx

RHEL 5.5 is among the officially supported OSes.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:11 AM
sync

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 1:38 AM, <nux@li.nux.ro> wrote:

sync writes:

> ź HTML content follows ╗

> * *Hi , guys:

> * *I have a new Acer* laptop and I have installed CentOS 5.5 x86_64 bit.

> * *The problem is that there is no driver for the ATI mobility radeon

> * *HD5470* and the graphic is so bad!

> * *On amd-ati website I have found the catalyst driver version 10.2 butit

> * *seems not to be the correct solution.

> * *The current screen resolution is 1024x768, but my laptop is widescreen

> * *and the best screen resolution is 1366x768.

> * *Do you have any suggestion?

> * *Thanks in advance ....

> * *<URL:http://ubuntuforums.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&amp;p=8970366>[Rep

> * *ly With Quote]

The driver should work:

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver

-installer-10-7-x86.x86_64.run

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx

RHEL 5.5 is among the officially supported OSes.

Thanks* for your advice .

*I try* to use that version* but* it does not work ...

The error message is the following :

* * Fatal : Module fglrx not found ..

* * * * fglrx(0): hasn't established DRM connection ...

* * * * ..

* * * * ..

* * * * Fatal Server errror :

* * * * Caught signal 11. Server aborting ..

* * * * (EE)fglrx(0): firegl_SetSuspendResumeState* * FAILED -9

Old 08-12-2010, 09:28 AM
John Doe

From: sync <jiannma@gmail.com>
> I try to use that version but it does not work ...
> Fatal : Module fglrx not found ..

Did you check if the module is present somewhere?

JD

Old 08-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Przemysław Pawełczyk

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 02:28:56 -0700 (PDT)
John Doe <jdmls@yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: sync <jiannma@gmail.com>
> > I try to use that version but it does not work ...
> > Fatal : Module fglrx not found ..
>
> Did you check if the module is present somewhere?

Hi,

I installed ATI in Debian dozens of times. Just tried the same process
on SL 5.5 here few minutes before.

1) linux-cat107-install.pdf from ATI download website says what files
you have to have installed prior to ATI instalation/kernel compilation

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_cat107-inst.pdf

2) Radeon HD 5xxxx is included in the 10.7 list of ATI drivers

3) Installation went smoothly without a problem

4) ATI driver is named fglrx*

5) search for its mutations ;-) there:
lib/modules/fglrx
lib-/modules/"kernel-sig"/kernel/drivers/char/drm

kernel-sig = your kernel's signature

6) Alas there is not such thing like Debian's modconf to conveniently
check/manage installed kernel modules; there is no such file
like Debian's /etc/modules with a list of additionally installed kernel
modules.

(Perhaps someone hints us how to peep into SL kernel modules?)

7) ATI installs aticccle manager + fgl_glxgears (with 3D rotating cube)

8) You __have to change__ "manually" monitor's VertRefresh and HorizSync
data in /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, e.g.:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
HorizSync 30.0 - 70.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 120.0
Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

and add "Modes" line in Screen section:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

9) WARNING :-(

ATI worked good but I had impression that Xorg's latest radeon driver
(found in SL 5.5) worked better, especially during MC window resizing -
radeon was making less flickering than ATI proprietary driver.

The warning relates to system fonts- ATI changed my system fonts to
"something ugly" and in 6 pt size! I use IceWM, but every apps got the
same fonts and nothing could be done via IceWM settings, of course.
Thank God, I had a magnifying glass at hand...

So said I changed X11 settings to previous ones, namely to SL radeon
driver.

BTW. How to change system font in SL? I tried to find out thru google
search but to no avail. And there is no such script like
system-config-fonts, why?

I hope I were able to help.

Regards

--
Przemysław Pawełczyk (P2O2) [pron. Pshemislav Paveltchick]
http://pp.blast.pl, pp_o2@o2.pl

Old 08-14-2010, 03:20 AM
sync

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 02:28:56 -0700 (PDT)

John Doe <jdmls@yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: sync <jiannma@gmail.com>

> > I try ┬*to use that version ┬*but ┬*it does not work ...

> > Fatal : Module fglrx not found ..

> Did you check if the module is present somewhere?

Hi,

I installed ATI in Debian dozens of times. Just tried the same process

on SL 5.5 here few minutes before.

1) linux-cat107-install.pdf from ATI download website says what files

you have to have installed prior to ATI instalation/kernel compilation

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_cat107-inst.pdf

2) Radeon HD 5xxxx is included in the 10.7 list of ATI drivers

3) Installation went smoothly without a problem

4) ATI driver is named fglrx*

5) search for its mutations ;-) there:

lib/modules/fglrx

lib-/modules/"kernel-sig"/kernel/drivers/char/drm

kernel-sig = your kernel's signature

Thanks for your advice .

┬*I refered to the ATI driver installation doc and found the following message :

Note: If a Linux 2.6.11 or newer kernel was built with

CONFIG_AGP enabled, the kernel AGP frontend is required to load
the fglrx kernel module. To identify whether your kernel was built
with CONFIG_AGP enabled, look for CONFIG_AGP=y in the
kernel config file, or if the 'agpgart' module is loaded.

And I found┬* that module is not in CentOS 5.5 x8_64 .

So could I compile the kernel that enable that module ?

Isn't┬* it right ?┬* Thanks ...

Old 08-14-2010, 06:34 AM
sync

> [...]

(found in SL 5.5) worked better, especially during MC window resizing -

radeon was making less flickering than ATI proprietary driver.

The warning relates to system fonts- ATI changed my system fonts to

"something ugly" and in 6 pt size! I use IceWM, but every apps got the

same fonts and nothing could be done via IceWM settings, of course.

Thank God, I had a magnifying glass at hand...

So said I changed X11 settings to previous ones, namely to SL radeon

driver.

BTW. How to change system font in SL? I tried to find out thru google

search but to no avail. And there is no such script like

system-config-fonts, why?

I hope I were able to help.

Regards

--

Przemysław Pawełczyk (P2O2) [pron. Pshemislav Paveltchick]

I solved it by myself .┬*┬*

I┬* tried to┬*┬* try " yum install kernel┬* kernel-header┬* kernel-devel " command┬* to install that packages
and then reinstall the ATI graph driver again .┬* This time┬* the screen works well ..

Haaha.....

Old 08-14-2010, 06:48 AM
Przemysław Pawełczyk

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 11:20:42 +0800
sync <jiannma@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your advice .
>
> I refered to the ATI driver installation doc and found the following
> message :
>
> Note: If a Linux 2.6.11 or newer kernel was built with
> CONFIG_AGP enabled, the kernel AGP frontend is required to load
> the fglrx kernel module. To identify whether your kernel was built
> with CONFIG_AGP enabled, look for CONFIG_AGP=y in the
> kernel config file, or if the 'agpgart' module is loaded.
>
> And I found that module is not in CentOS 5.5 x8_64 .
>
> So could I compile the kernel that enable that module ?
>
> Isn't it right ? Thanks ...

I found that excerpt too. Anyway the compilation was successful and the
driver stable. Try it yourself, you are not going to screw anything.
In the need you can alway get back to former radeon driver.

BTW Compiling kernel is rather fun not a scary process.

Regards

Old 08-14-2010, 06:54 AM
Przemysław Pawełczyk

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 14:34:30 +0800
sync <jiannma@gmail.com> wrote:

> I solved it by myself .
>
> I tried to try " yum install kernel kernel-header kernel-devel "
> command to install that packages
> and then reinstall the ATI graph driver again . This time the
> screen works well ..
>
> Haaha.....

ATI making kernel module needs the packages, but I thought you know
that... ;-)

Every kernel module cannot be compiled without the kernel
data.

Regards

Old 08-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

2010/8/14 Przemysław Pawełczyk <pp_o2@o2.pl>:
> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 11:20:42 +0800
> sync <jiannma@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> BTW Compiling kernel is rather fun not a scary process.

Do you have binary or other rpm for some intex with rtl 3189 or
something like that? they give one .c file that is all.

If you do have 32/64 binaries somewhere, kindly point out..

Regards,

Rajagopal
Centos 5.5 x86_64 (fresh full install on core2duo/2gb desktop. I know
it is 2years old..