-   -   Automounter problem in C5.5? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/410974-automounter-problem-c5-5-a.html)

Mark 08-10-2010 03:19 PM

Automounter problem in C5.5?

Last night I was having some bizarre problems with my USB ports. I
couldn't access one of my scanners, and when I started moving plugs
around, it seemed as though I lost more peripherals. For some reason,
I did NOT lose the laser printer, but my one scanner and my
scan/fax/printer disappeared and wouldn't come back.

I figured it might be the automounter, so I tried plugging in a USB
flash drive, and it did not get mounted either.

I rebooted and the problem disappeared (duh).

Questions:

1) I'm suspected this was an automounter failure - is that the most
likely culprit?

2) How do I restart the automounter when it dies, or can I? I've hit
this issue before once or twice and only rebooting seems to make it
right again.

Thanks.

Mark

08-10-2010 03:51 PM

Automounter problem in C5.5?

Mark wrote:
> Last night I was having some bizarre problems with my USB ports. I
> couldn't access one of my scanners, and when I started moving plugs
> around, it seemed as though I lost more peripherals. For some reason,
> I did NOT lose the laser printer, but my one scanner and my
> scan/fax/printer disappeared and wouldn't come back.
>
> I figured it might be the automounter, so I tried plugging in a USB
> flash drive, and it did not get mounted either.
>
> I rebooted and the problem disappeared (duh).
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) I'm suspected this was an automounter failure - is that the most
> likely culprit?

Or a usb driver problem. Or (I hope not) a hardware problem.

> 2) How do I restart the automounter when it dies, or can I? I've hit
> this issue before once or twice and only rebooting seems to make it
> right again.

As root, or sudo, service autofs restart

mark

Robert 08-10-2010 05:08 PM

Automounter problem in C5.5?

On 08/10/2010 10:51 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us informed us:

<snip>
> Or a usb driver problem. Or (I hope not) a hardware problem.
>
>> 2) How do I restart the automounter when it dies, or can I? I've hit
>> this issue before once or twice and only rebooting seems to make it
>> right again.
>>
> As root, or sudo, service autofs restart

I offer this as another data point.
First noticed yesterday -- status icon for my external HP1040r DVD
burner became hopeless out of sync with reality.
This is a fully updated CentOS 5 box. Looks like the kernel was
installed on July 25:

[root@madeleine log]# grep kernel yum.log
<snip>
Jul 25 13:17:14 Updated: kernel-headers-2.6.18-194.8.1.el5.i386
Jul 25 13:17:31 Installed: kernel-PAE-devel-2.6.18-194.8.1.el5.i686
Jul 25 13:17:42 Installed: kernel-PAE-2.6.18-194.8.1.el5.i686
[root@madeleine log]#

Regards

Mark 08-10-2010 09:39 PM

Automounter problem in C5.5?

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Robert <kerplop@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 08/10/2010 10:51 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us informed us:
>
> <snip>
>> Or a usb driver problem. Or (I hope not) a hardware problem.

Don't think so - after reboot everything works normally. Even before,
the laser printer continued to function properly.

>> As root, or sudo, service autofs restart
>>
> I offer this as another data point.
> First noticed yesterday -- status icon for my external HP1040r DVD
> burner became hopeless out of sync with reality.
> This is a fully updated CentOS 5 box. *Looks like the kernel was
> installed on July 25:
>
> * * * *[root@madeleine log]# grep kernel yum.log
> * * * *<snip>
> * * * *Jul 25 13:17:14 Updated: kernel-headers-2.6.18-194.8.1.el5.i386
> * * * *Jul 25 13:17:31 Installed: kernel-PAE-devel-2.6.18-194.8.1.el5.i686
> * * * *Jul 25 13:17:42 Installed: kernel-PAE-2.6.18-194.8.1.el5.i686
> * * * *[root@madeleine log]#

marichter 2.6.18-194.8.1.el5 #1 SMP Thu Jul 1 19:04:48 EDT 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
centos-release-5-5.el5.centos.x86_64

Oh, right - I had been running the 194.3.1 kernel, but I forgot to
change it when I rebooted. That might be relevant, too.

Mark