Old 08-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Paul Heinlein

Default xen vs kvm for virtualization on centos/rhel?

On Mon, 9 Aug 2010, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> as i'm reviewing the courseware for the rhel (centos) course i'm
> teaching next week, i'm going to ask the occasional question,
> possibly technical, possibly more policy.
>
> first one involves the choice for virtualization. the course has a
> short section involving virt using xen but everything i've read
> suggests that red hat is concentrating on kvm for virt. thoughts on
> that? i have the freedom to replace the xen section with one
> covering kvm instead.

KVM feels less intrusive to me, but Xen configuration seemed to have a
shorter learning curve.

I don't really need a lot of performance in my VMs, so I can't comment
on speed; both do the trick.

Red Hat has done a nice job with virsh and virt-install, which both
work as advertised whether you're running Xen or KVM.

My suggestion, fwiw, is to figure out if students are more interested
in maintaining an installed base of VMs or in installing a new VM
infrastructure. Chances are, maintenance is more Xen-heavy, while KVM
is more the way forward for new installations.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:00 PM
James Hogarth

RHEL6 will not have xen for hosting. It could be a xen guest.* If you are teaching with the concept of having guests under the RHEL host and you want your teachings relevant going forwards you will need to cover kvm.

Sent from Android Mobile

Old 08-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 08/09/2010 07:06 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> as i'm reviewing the courseware for the rhel (centos) course
> i'm teaching next week, i'm going to ask the occasional question,
> possibly technical, possibly more policy.

how much of this courseware is open source licensed ? Would you be
willing to contribute some /all of it towards the CentOS wiki / docs
effort ?

- KB

Old 08-09-2010, 07:16 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Mon, 9 Aug 2010, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> On 08/09/2010 07:06 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > as i'm reviewing the courseware for the rhel (centos) course
> > i'm teaching next week, i'm going to ask the occasional question,
> > possibly technical, possibly more policy.
>
> how much of this courseware is open source licensed ? Would you be
> willing to contribute some /all of it towards the CentOS wiki / docs
> effort ?

sorry, it's not my C/W, it's being licensed for this course.

rday

http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 08-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Bobby

On Monday, August 09, 2010 02:06:51 pm Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> as i'm reviewing the courseware for the rhel (centos) course
> i'm teaching next week, i'm going to ask the occasional question,
> possibly technical, possibly more policy.
>
> first one involves the choice for virtualization. the course has a
> short section involving virt using xen but everything i've read
> suggests that red hat is concentrating on kvm for virt. thoughts on
> that? i have the freedom to replace the xen section with one covering
> kvm instead.
>
> rday

I recommend using VirtualBOX from Sun. Close to wire speed, no need to alter
the kernel. Simple and flexible to use.

--

Bobby

Old 08-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Mathieu Baudier

> I recommend using VirtualBOX from Sun. Close to wire speed, no need to alter
> the kernel. Simple and flexible to use.

I use VirtualBox on customer sites in order to virtualize a CentOS
instance because it runs on Windows during the implementation phase,
and then we can easily sneak it on their Solaris servers when it goes
in production.
I would never have been able to introduce a Linux over there without
Virtual Box...

It works mostly fine and is the best FLOSS solution I have seen for
desktop virtualization, but I don't find it rock-solid and they tend
to release very often with significant changes. It feels like a Fedora
rather than a CentOS, if you see what I mean.
But updates have become much easier to follow since they set up a yum
repository.

As per the OP question, I started preparing a virtualized
infrastructure with CentOS 5 hosts (and guests) approximately one year
ago and went the KVM way for the reason already described (mostly that
it seems to be Red Hat long-term strategy).
I never had any issue with KVM/QEMU/libvirt (so far...) and it is very
easy to automate with virsh and the XML configurations (just as Xen I
guess).

Old 08-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Whit Blauvelt

On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 03:17:10PM -0400, Bobby wrote:

> I recommend using VirtualBOX from Sun. Close to wire speed, no need to alter
> the kernel. Simple and flexible to use.

No need to alter the kernel for KVM either. VirtualBox formerly from Sun has
been gathering bugs since Oracle took over. Personally I wouldn't recommend
it for serious use. It's a nice shiney toy though. But if you use, for
instance, its snapshotting feature, and then something goes wrong, veteran
users in the support forums will tell you you were a fool to ever trust the
feature. Guess you're supposed to have an instinct about it. Simple is no
good when major simple features aren't dependable.

Whit

Old 08-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> *as i'm reviewing the courseware for the rhel (centos) course
> i'm teaching next week, i'm going to ask the occasional question,
> possibly technical, possibly more policy.
>
> *first one involves the choice for virtualization. *the course has a
> short section involving virt using xen but everything i've read
> suggests that red hat is concentrating on kvm for virt. *thoughts on
> that? *i have the freedom to replace the xen section with one covering
> kvm instead.

I'm running both Xen and KVM.

If you're using the virt-* tools then RedHat does a pretty decent job
of hiding the underlying virtualization engine. My virt-install script
ran pretty much unchanged from Xen to KVM. If you're teaching a
troubleshooting course, I think you need to cover both technologies as
I do see a lot of Xen machines out there. Otherwise I'd concentrate
on KVM and maybe give a few minutes on the differences (how disks are
referenced, setting up bridging adapter, etc..).

Old 08-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Bobby

On Monday, August 09, 2010 03:50:02 pm Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 03:17:10PM -0400, Bobby wrote:
> > I recommend using VirtualBOX from Sun. Close to wire speed, no need to
> > alter the kernel. Simple and flexible to use.
>
> No need to alter the kernel for KVM either. VirtualBox formerly from Sun
> has been gathering bugs since Oracle took over. Personally I wouldn't
> recommend it for serious use. It's a nice shiney toy though. But if you
> use, for instance, its snapshotting feature, and then something goes
> wrong, veteran users in the support forums will tell you you were a fool
> to ever trust the feature. Guess you're supposed to have an instinct about
> it. Simple is no good when major simple features aren't dependable.
>
> Whit

Interesting, I've been using it to test install s/w and found it completely
stable. Not once have I seen it crash using snapshot.

Indeed I've built on Linux and moved the client O/S's to both Windows and MAC
and vice versa. The volume is not all that high, maybe 20 restores of a single
snapshot, over and over.

I wonder what the conditions were that it failed under?

--

Bobby

Old 08-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Karanbir Singh

Hi,

On 08/09/2010 08:50 PM, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> No need to alter the kernel for KVM either. VirtualBox formerly from Sun has
> been gathering bugs since Oracle took over.

Do you have some data to back this up ?

- KB