Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   CentOS (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/)
-   -   Downgrade libgcc & gcc packages (is there a clean way) (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/410551-downgrade-libgcc-gcc-packages-there-clean-way.html)

Hakan Koseoglu 08-09-2010 06:12 PM

Downgrade libgcc & gcc packages (is there a clean way)
 
On 9 August 2010 19:06, Dan Burkland <dburklan@nmdp.org> wrote:
> I have been tasked with "fixing" one of our CentOS boxes by somehow downgrading the libgcc and gcc packages to a specific version (Required by the Oracle Grid Control client). Normally I'd just remove and reinstall the packages however removing libgcc is no fun as I found out the hard way it breaks pretty much every package including rpm & yum. Is there an elegant way to downgrade the currently installed libgcc & gcc packages?
>
Which specific version? Can't you You get away with the compat
packages? The rest should be compatible.

--
Hakan (m1fcj) - http://www.hititgunesi.org
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Whit Blauvelt 08-09-2010 06:21 PM

Downgrade libgcc & gcc packages (is there a clean way)
 
On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 01:06:15PM -0500, Dan Burkland wrote:

> I have been tasked with "fixing" one of our CentOS boxes by somehow
> downgrading the libgcc and gcc packages to a specific version (Required by
> the Oracle Grid Control client). Normally I'd just remove and reinstall
> the packages however removing libgcc is no fun as I found out the hard way
> it breaks pretty much every package including rpm & yum. Is there an
> elegant way to downgrade the currently installed libgcc & gcc packages?

You could build your own gcc and libgcc from source of the right vintage,
putting them where they won't interfere with the CentOS versions. It takes
awhile, but gcc is quite capable of bootstrapping itself.

How to get Oracle Grid Control working with that might remain a problem. Are
the libgcc libraries it wants to see in a separate namespace from the
current CentOS ones? If so you could just install them alongside and be
happy. If not, you might need to do something like set up a chroot for Grid
Control, with its preferred libraries there.

Whit

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Dan Burkland 08-09-2010 06:24 PM

Downgrade libgcc & gcc packages (is there a clean way)
 
Machine is running 5.3 and somehow both packages got updated to libgcc-4.1.2-48.el5 when they need to be libgcc-4.1.2-44.el5. The DBAs here perform the Oracle Grid Control client install however they said it will not install it if detects an incorrect package version.

Thanks again,

Dan
*


-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces@centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces@centos.org] On Behalf Of Hakan Koseoglu
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 1:12 PM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Downgrade libgcc & gcc packages (is there a clean way)

On 9 August 2010 19:06, Dan Burkland <dburklan@nmdp.org> wrote:
> I have been tasked with "fixing" one of our CentOS boxes by somehow downgrading the libgcc and gcc packages to a specific version (Required by the Oracle Grid Control client). Normally I'd just remove and reinstall the packages however removing libgcc is no fun as I found out the hard way it breaks pretty much every package including rpm & yum. Is there an elegant way to downgrade the currently installed libgcc & gcc packages?
>
Which specific version? Can't you You get away with the compat
packages? The rest should be compatible.

--
Hakan (m1fcj) - http://www.hititgunesi.org
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Alan Hodgson 08-09-2010 06:31 PM

Downgrade libgcc & gcc packages (is there a clean way)
 
On Monday, August 09, 2010, Dan Burkland <dburklan@nmdp.org> wrote:
> Machine is running 5.3 and somehow both packages got updated to
> libgcc-4.1.2-48.el5 when they need to be libgcc-4.1.2-44.el5. The DBAs
> here perform the Oracle Grid Control client install however they said it
> will not install it if detects an incorrect package version.
>
> Thanks again,

Oh, well, something that minor you can just rpm -i --force the old packages,
I think. If you have the RPMs.

Sounds like a seriously broken installer, though. The versions will
constantly change through regular maintenance updates.

--
"No animals were harmed in the recording of this episode. We tried but that
damn monkey was just too fast."
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Hakan Koseoglu 08-09-2010 06:32 PM

Downgrade libgcc & gcc packages (is there a clean way)
 
On 9 August 2010 19:24, Dan Burkland <dburklan@nmdp.org> wrote:
> Machine is running 5.3 and somehow both packages got updated to libgcc-4.1.2-48.el5 when they need to be libgcc-4.1.2-44.el5. The DBAs here perform the Oracle Grid Control client install however they said it will not install it if detects an incorrect package version.
>
Interesting. I admit that I haven't done a Grid Control Client
installation Oracle DB 11gR2 requires libgcc-4.1.2 but no limit to the
package version. It should install w/o a fuss unless your DBAs are
fussy. It will not install if the package is missing or if it is not
4.1.2.
(see http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e10812/prelinux.htm#BABFDJJF
, especially the bit saying "The following packages (or later
versions) must be installed". This link is for Oracle 11gR2 Grid
Infrastucture/RAC but the DB installation document has the same
wording.
--
Hakan (m1fcj) - http://www.hititgunesi.org
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Hakan Koseoglu 08-09-2010 06:33 PM

Downgrade libgcc & gcc packages (is there a clean way)
 
On 9 August 2010 19:31, Alan Hodgson <ahodgson@simkin.ca> wrote:
> Sounds like a seriously broken installer, though. The versions will
> constantly change through regular maintenance updates.
I concur. I have a suspicion that the problem is not the installer but
the DBAs doing the installation. For some reason most of the DBAs I
know tend to be somewhat anal retentive.
--
Hakan (m1fcj) - http://www.hititgunesi.org
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

08-09-2010 06:36 PM

Downgrade libgcc & gcc packages (is there a clean way)
 
Dan Burkland wrote:
> Machine is running 5.3 and somehow both packages got updated to
> libgcc-4.1.2-48.el5 when they need to be libgcc-4.1.2-44.el5. The DBAs
> here perform the Oracle Grid Control client install however they said it
> will not install it if detects an incorrect package version.
>
downgrade
Will try and downgrade a package from the version currently
installed to the
previously highest version (or the specified version). The
depsolver will not
necessarily work, but if you specify all the packages it
should work (and
thus. all the simple cases will work). Also this does not
work for "instal-
lonly" packages, like Kernels. downgrade operates on groups,
files, provides
and filelists just like the "install" command.

Or, perhaps Oracle has a package built?

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

08-09-2010 06:38 PM

Downgrade libgcc & gcc packages (is there a clean way)
 
m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Dan Burkland wrote:
>> Machine is running 5.3 and somehow both packages got updated to
>> libgcc-4.1.2-48.el5 when they need to be libgcc-4.1.2-44.el5. The DBAs
>> here perform the Oracle Grid Control client install however they said it
>> will not install it if detects an incorrect package version.
>>
> downgrade
> Will try and downgrade a package from the version currently
> installed to the previously highest version (or the specified
version). The
> depsolver will not necessarily work, but if you specify all the
packages it
> should work (and thus. all the simple cases will work). Also this
does not
> work for "instal- lonly" packages, like Kernels. downgrade operates on
groups,
> files, provides and filelists just like the "install" command.
>
Oh, and I'd put into the yum.conf to exclude those packages from
upgrading, to avoid this happening again.

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

"Roger K. Wells" 08-09-2010 06:40 PM

Downgrade libgcc & gcc packages (is there a clean way)
 
On 08/09/2010 02:24 PM, Dan Burkland wrote:
> Machine is running 5.3 and somehow both packages got updated to libgcc-4.1.2-48.el5 when they need to be libgcc-4.1.2-44.el5. The DBAs here perform the Oracle Grid Control client install however they said it will not install it if detects an incorrect package version.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Dan
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: centos-bounces@centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces@centos.org] On Behalf Of Hakan Koseoglu
> Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 1:12 PM
> To: CentOS mailing list
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Downgrade libgcc& gcc packages (is there a clean way)
>
> On 9 August 2010 19:06, Dan Burkland<dburklan@nmdp.org> wrote:
>> I have been tasked with "fixing" one of our CentOS boxes by somehow downgrading the libgcc and gcc packages to a specific version (Required by the Oracle Grid Control client). Normally I'd just remove and reinstall the packages however removing libgcc is no fun as I found out the hard way it breaks pretty much every package including rpm& yum. Is there an elegant way to downgrade the currently installed libgcc& gcc packages?
>>
> Which specific version? Can't you You get away with the compat
> packages? The rest should be compatible.
>
I had a similar problem (using Fedora 13) and got the following responses:

"You can use mock

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Using_Mock_to_test_package_builds

Rahul

[Mr Gabriel Says ...] My answer was going to be, install centos 5.x in a
VM, use virtualbox, or <insert favorite virt. Tech here>, but having
doine a quick check of mock, I believe I will also install it and use it
too! Thanks Rahul"

I followed the link and it all works. You may be able to use this
directly or perhaps
CentOS supports the same approach.

HTH
Roger Wells



--
Roger Wells, P.E.
SAIC
221 Third St
Newport, RI 02840
401-847-4210 (voice)
401-849-1585 (fax)
roger.k.wells@saic.com

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

John R Pierce 08-09-2010 06:41 PM

Downgrade libgcc & gcc packages (is there a clean way)
 
On 08/09/10 11:24 AM, Dan Burkland wrote:
> Machine is running 5.3 and somehow both packages got updated to libgcc-4.1.2-48.el5 when they need to be libgcc-4.1.2-44.el5. The DBAs here perform the Oracle Grid Control client install however they said it will not install it if detects an incorrect package version.

if any other RPMs have a dependency on 4.1.2-48, your life will be hell.

worse, you will not be able to install *ANY* future security or bug
updates that include or require that libgcc upgrade.

someone needs to take a cluebat to Oracle.


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:34 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.