FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-09-2010, 05:15 AM
Richard Gliebe
 
Default dhcp server

Hi all,

this is my first post on this list, hope someone can help me.

I have to run a dhcp server on CentOS release 5.5 (Final).

# yum list| grep -i dhcp
dhcp.x86_64 12:3.0.5-23.el5 installed
dhcp-devel.x86_64 12:3.0.5-23.el5 installed
dhcpv6-client.x86_64 1.0.10-18.el5 installed

after starting the dhcpd daemon, the windows Clients on the subnet
(192.168.100.0/24) tells me, that there is no dhcp server available.

# /etc/init.d/dhcpd configtest
Syntax: OK

[/var/log/messages]
Aug 9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server
V3.0.5-RedHat
Aug 9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems
Consortium.
Aug 9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: All rights reserved.
Aug 9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: For info, please visit
http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
Aug 9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
Aug 9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: Listening on
LPF/eth0/00:1a:64:b6:1d:1c/192.168.100/24
Aug 9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: Sending on
LPF/eth0/00:1a:64:b6:1d:1c/192.168.100/24
Aug 9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: Sending on Socket/fallback/fallback-net

this is my /etc/dhcpd.conf

# cat /etc/dhcpd.conf
authoritative;
ddns-update-style interim;
subnet 192.168.100.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
option routers 192.168.100.11;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;

option domain-name "<mydomain>.local";
option domain-name-servers 192.168.100.2;

option time-offset -18000; # Eastern Standard Time

range 192.168.100.150 192.168.100.199;
}

what do I'm missing? or is there a config mismatch?

many thanks
Richard
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-09-2010, 05:25 AM
Eero Volotinen
 
Default dhcp server

2010/8/9 Richard Gliebe <richard.gliebe@fhv.at>:
> Hi all,
>
> this is my first post on this list, hope someone can help me.
>
> I have to run a dhcp server on CentOS release 5.5 (Final).
>
> # yum list| grep -i dhcp
> dhcp.x86_64 * * * * * * 12:3.0.5-23.el5 installed
> dhcp-devel.x86_64 * * * 12:3.0.5-23.el5 installed
> dhcpv6-client.x86_64 * *1.0.10-18.el5 * installed
>
> after starting the dhcpd daemon, the windows Clients on the subnet
> (192.168.100.0/24) tells me, that there is no dhcp server available.
>
> # /etc/init.d/dhcpd configtest
> Syntax: OK
>
> [/var/log/messages]
> Aug *9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server
> V3.0.5-RedHat
> Aug *9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems
> Consortium.
> Aug *9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: All rights reserved.
> Aug *9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: For info, please visit
> http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
> Aug *9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
> Aug *9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: Listening on
> LPF/eth0/00:1a:64:b6:1d:1c/192.168.100/24
> Aug *9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: Sending on
> LPF/eth0/00:1a:64:b6:1d:1c/192.168.100/24
> Aug *9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: Sending on * Socket/fallback/fallback-net
>
> this is my /etc/dhcpd.conf
>
> # cat /etc/dhcpd.conf
> authoritative;
> ddns-update-style interim;
> subnet 192.168.100.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
> * * * * option routers * * * * * * * * *192.168.100.11;
> * * * * option subnet-mask * * * * * * *255.255.255.0;
>
> * * * * option domain-name * * * * * * *"<mydomain>.local";
> * * * * option domain-name-servers * * * 192.168.100.2;
>
> * * * * option time-offset * * * * * * *-18000; * * # Eastern Standard Time
>
> * * * *range 192.168.100.150 192.168.100.199;
> }
>
> what do I'm missing? or is there a config mismatch?

it is working on any other os?

is the dhcp binded to correct interface?



--
Eero,
RHCE
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-09-2010, 05:42 AM
Barry Brimer
 
Default dhcp server

> I have to run a dhcp server on CentOS release 5.5 (Final).
>
> # yum list| grep -i dhcp
> dhcp.x86_64 12:3.0.5-23.el5 installed
> dhcp-devel.x86_64 12:3.0.5-23.el5 installed
> dhcpv6-client.x86_64 1.0.10-18.el5 installed
>
> after starting the dhcpd daemon, the windows Clients on the subnet
> (192.168.100.0/24) tells me, that there is no dhcp server available.
>
> # /etc/init.d/dhcpd configtest
> Syntax: OK
>
> [/var/log/messages]
> Aug 9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server
> V3.0.5-RedHat
> Aug 9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems
> Consortium.
> Aug 9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: All rights reserved.
> Aug 9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: For info, please visit
> http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
> Aug 9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
> Aug 9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: Listening on
> LPF/eth0/00:1a:64:b6:1d:1c/192.168.100/24
> Aug 9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: Sending on
> LPF/eth0/00:1a:64:b6:1d:1c/192.168.100/24
> Aug 9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: Sending on Socket/fallback/fallback-net

<snip>

How about firewalling ... does your firewall allow for a DHCP server?
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-09-2010, 06:41 AM
Richard Gliebe
 
Default dhcp server

On 8/9/10 7:25 AM Eero Volotinen wrote:
>
> it is working on any other os?

I'll try it this afternoon, when I'm onside.
>
> is the dhcp binded to correct interface?

Yes.

# ifconfig eth0
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1A:64:B6:1D:1C
inet addr:192.168.100.2 Bcast:192.168.100.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::21a:64ff:feb6:1d1c/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:41880145 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:32802248 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:50878621928 (47.3 GiB) TX bytes:12014003226 (11.1 GiB)
Interrupt:169 Memory:92000000-92012800

and UDP/67 is listening.

# netstat -an | grep -w 67
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:67 0.0.0.0:*

many thanks
Richard
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-09-2010, 06:43 AM
Richard Gliebe
 
Default dhcp server

On 8/9/10 7:42 AM Barry Brimer wrote:
> How about firewalling ... does your firewall allow for a DHCP server?

firewall isn't active inside the LAN.

Regards
Richard
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-09-2010, 06:49 AM
Eero Volotinen
 
Default dhcp server

2010/8/9 Richard Gliebe <richard.gliebe@fhv.at>:
> On 8/9/10 7:42 AM Barry Brimer wrote:
>> How about firewalling ... does your firewall allow for a DHCP server?
>
> firewall isn't active inside the LAN.

firewall can cause problems on windows machines.. maybe you can try
for example ubuntu livecd and test if dhcp client works on that.

--
Eero
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-09-2010, 06:55 AM
Richard Gliebe
 
Default dhcp server

On 8/9/10 8:49 AM Eero Volotinen wrote:
> 2010/8/9 Richard Gliebe <richard.gliebe@fhv.at>:
>> On 8/9/10 7:42 AM Barry Brimer wrote:
>>> How about firewalling ... does your firewall allow for a DHCP server?
>> firewall isn't active inside the LAN.
>
> firewall can cause problems on windows machines.. maybe you can try
> for example ubuntu livecd and test if dhcp client works on that.


good idea.
I'll try it this afternoon which grml ;-)

many thanks
Richard
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Boris Epstein
 
Default dhcp server

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 1:15 AM, Richard Gliebe <richard.gliebe@fhv.at> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> this is my first post on this list, hope someone can help me.
>
> I have to run a dhcp server on CentOS release 5.5 (Final).
>
> # yum list| grep -i dhcp
> dhcp.x86_64 * * * * * * 12:3.0.5-23.el5 installed
> dhcp-devel.x86_64 * * * 12:3.0.5-23.el5 installed
> dhcpv6-client.x86_64 * *1.0.10-18.el5 * installed
>
> after starting the dhcpd daemon, the windows Clients on the subnet
> (192.168.100.0/24) tells me, that there is no dhcp server available.
>
> # /etc/init.d/dhcpd configtest
> Syntax: OK
>
> [/var/log/messages]
> Aug *9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server
> V3.0.5-RedHat
> Aug *9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems
> Consortium.
> Aug *9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: All rights reserved.
> Aug *9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: For info, please visit
> http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
> Aug *9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
> Aug *9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: Listening on
> LPF/eth0/00:1a:64:b6:1d:1c/192.168.100/24
> Aug *9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: Sending on
> LPF/eth0/00:1a:64:b6:1d:1c/192.168.100/24
> Aug *9 07:11:14 tfelx01 dhcpd: Sending on * Socket/fallback/fallback-net
>
> this is my /etc/dhcpd.conf
>
> # cat /etc/dhcpd.conf
> authoritative;
> ddns-update-style interim;
> subnet 192.168.100.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
> * * * * option routers * * * * * * * * *192.168.100.11;
> * * * * option subnet-mask * * * * * * *255.255.255.0;
>
> * * * * option domain-name * * * * * * *"<mydomain>.local";
> * * * * option domain-name-servers * * * 192.168.100.2;
>
> * * * * option time-offset * * * * * * *-18000; * * # Eastern Standard Time
>
> * * * *range 192.168.100.150 192.168.100.199;
> }
>
> what do I'm missing? or is there a config mismatch?
>
> many thanks
> Richard
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Richard,

I don't have time to go through that config line by line but here is
mine that works. It is not perfect, has some unnecessary stuff in it,
the domain used is a private domain but like I said it works so it
must have at least as much as necessary to make it work.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[bepstein@dellnikon ~]$ more /etc/dhcpd.conf
ddns-update-style interim;
ignore client-updates;

subnet 192.168.65.0 netmask 255.255.255.128 {

# --- default gateway
option routers 192.168.65.1;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.128;

option nis-domain "nrims";
option domain-name "nrims";
option domain-name-servers 192.168.65.1,132.183.243.118,132.183.1.1
1;

option time-offset -18000; # Eastern Standard Time
# option ntp-servers 192.168.1.1;
# option netbios-name-servers 192.168.1.1;
# --- Selects point-to-point node (default is hybrid). Don't change this unless
# -- you understand Netbios very well
# option netbios-node-type 2;

default-lease-time 21600;
max-lease-time 43200;
range 192.168.65.50 192.168.65.125;

# we want the nameserver to appear at a fixed address
host ns {
next-server marvin.redhat.com;
hardware ethernet 12:34:56:78:AB:CD;
fixed-address 207.175.42.254;
}
}
[bepstein@dellnikon ~]$

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope it helps.

Boris.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Kaushal Shriyan
 
Default DHCP Server

Hi,

Can i push any DNS names to the DHCP Clients from my DHCP Server,I am
running DHCP Server on Ubuntu Linux Server 10.04

Please suggest

Thanks

Kaushal

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 11-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Santiago Zarate
 
Default DHCP Server

You can do that through ldap, check these links:

http://ow.ly/39vJu
http://ow.ly/39vJC
http://ow.ly/39vJN
http://ow.ly/39vJQ (PDF)

you will just have to adjust the tuts/doc to ubuntu... and that's it

2010/11/14 Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> Can i push any DNS names to the DHCP Clients from my DHCP Server,I am
> running DHCP Server on Ubuntu Linux Server 10.04
>
> Please suggest
>
> Thanks
>
> Kaushal
>
> --
> ubuntu-server mailing list
> ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
> More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
>



--
Atentamente
Santiago Zarate
Consultoria de Software
**+(58) 416 911 3678
**santiago@zarate.net.ve

«Dar un nuevo paso, articular una nueva palabra, es lo que la gente mas teme.»
**- Fyodor Mikhaylovich Dostoyevsky

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:26 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org