Old 08-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Keith Roberts

Default OT: Package to truncate .mp3 file

On Sun, 8 Aug 2010, John R. Dennison wrote:

> From: John R. Dennison <jrd@gerdesas.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] OT: Package to truncate .mp3 file
>
> On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 04:29:41PM -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> I have a 2.9 MB MP3 file. Would like to use about the first 10%, to
>> embed sound on a web page. The Packages I have in Applications > Sound
>> & Video don't seem to be able to edit the file like that. Is there a
>> Package I can get from a Yum Repository that will do that? Using
>> CentOS 5.5 (32 bit). TIA!
>
> Audacity should be able to handle that I believe.
>
> Rpmforge carries it.

Yes, I can second that. Just load the mp3 file into
audacity, select the part to cut, then save the
remaining part of the file to a different name.

Keith

Websites:
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Old 08-09-2010, 04:14 AM
allan

ditto. I second that motion.
Peace,
Allan

Old 08-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Lanny Marcus

> I have a 2.9 MB *MP3 file. Would like to use about the first 10%, to
> embed sound on a web page. The Packages I have in
<snip>
Thanks, to each of you, for taking the time to reply! I am going to
get Audacity and try it with that. If that doesn't work for me, then I
will get ffmpeg.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Kwan Lowe

> I have a 2.9 MB *MP3 file. Would like to use about the first 10%, to
> embed sound on a web page. The Packages I have in Applications > Sound
> & Video don't seem to be able to *edit the file like that. Is there a
> Package I can get from a Yum Repository that will do that? Using
> CentOS 5.5 (32 bit). * TIA!

>From rpmforge look for "cutmp3".

cutmp3 -i file.mp3 -a 0:37 -b 3:57 copies valid data from 0:37 to 3:57

So you could do:

cutmp3 -i infile.mp3 -a 0:00 -b 0:10