Old 08-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Lanny Marcus

Default OT: Package to truncate .mp3 file

I have a 2.9 MB MP3 file. Would like to use about the first 10%, to
embed sound on a web page. The Packages I have in Applications > Sound
& Video don't seem to be able to edit the file like that. Is there a
Package I can get from a Yum Repository that will do that? Using
CentOS 5.5 (32 bit). TIA!

Old 08-08-2010, 09:43 PM
"John R. Dennison"

On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 04:29:41PM -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> I have a 2.9 MB MP3 file. Would like to use about the first 10%, to
> embed sound on a web page. The Packages I have in Applications > Sound
> & Video don't seem to be able to edit the file like that. Is there a
> Package I can get from a Yum Repository that will do that? Using
> CentOS 5.5 (32 bit). TIA!

Audacity should be able to handle that I believe.

Rpmforge carries it.

John
--
When there are too many policemen, there can be no liberty. When there are
too many soldiers, there can be no peace. When there are too many lawyers,

-- Lin Yutang (10 October 1895 - 26 March 1976), Chinese writer and translator,
as quoted in Alexander, James (2005). The World's Funniest Laws. Cheam: Crombie
Jardine. pp. page 6

Old 08-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Mark

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 3:46 PM, <nux@li.nux.ro> wrote:

> Lanny Marcus writes:
>
> > I have a 2.9 MB *MP3 file. Would like to use about the first 10%, to
> > embed sound on a web page. The Packages I have in Applications > Sound
> > & Video don't seem to be able to *edit the file like that. Is there a
> > Package I can get from a Yum Repository that will do that? Using
> > CentOS 5.5 (32 bit). * TIA!
>
> ffmpeg should be able to help here.

No offense to ffmpeg fans, but I'd go with Audacity - it's a first
class GUI sound editor.

Mark

Old 08-08-2010, 10:46 PM