Old 08-08-2010, 05:58 PM
John R Pierce

Default what people really mean when they say they're running "5.3"?

> when i asked the organizer to identify the specific version of RHEL
> that was being used at the client site, i was told 5.3 so i can easily
> install 5.3 on the classroom machines, but i'm curious about something
> and i'll have my contact look into it: if people *initially* install
> 5.3, is it standard behaviour to still regularly upgrade as new
> releases come out?

sadly, I find far too many people who installed RHEL x.y, but don't have
an RHN subscription so they NEVER UPDATE THE SYSTEM.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:29 PM
John R Pierce

On 08/08/10 1:12 PM, James Hogarth wrote:

> I do find this behaviour very odd... if you are not intending to get
> support from redhat why not just install CentOS in the beginning so
> you can still get updates? Ah well...

fairly often, its due to some perceived vendor requirements on the part
of operations people. Or, the server was purchased with a RHEL license,
but it wasn't renewed. I have to work with operations people in
overseas manufacturing plants, who are _extremely_ conservative about
applying updates. if its not broken, they won't fix it. as most of
these systems are single function (run a java based application suite
used for factory floor message routing, or run an
oracle/postgres/whatever database along with some java stuff that front
ends for the database), most updates have nothing to do with the mission.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:18 AM
allan

Unless the curriculum covers updates.

Peace,