-   -   Encrypted remote backup? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/410115-encrypted-remote-backup.html)

"Michael A. Peters" 08-08-2010 04:27 PM

Encrypted remote backup?

Can anyone recommend a commercial off site remote backup service with a
client (preferably FOSS) for CentOS 5, preferably that allows encryption
of the data being backed up?

Small scale, I'm primarily looking to just back up my mail folder on my
server.

I've been backing it up to local hd via rsync but that drive just died,
I'd prefer to have it backed up to somewhere more stable than a home box
and automated via cron (cli tools a must), but encryption is important,
people are snoopy and I'm paranoid about that sort of stuff.

Tim Nelson 08-08-2010 04:27 PM

Encrypted remote backup?

----- "Michael A. Peters" <mpeters@mac.com> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a commercial off site remote backup service with
> client (preferably FOSS) for CentOS 5, preferably that allows
> encryption
> of the data being backed up?
>
> Small scale, I'm primarily looking to just back up my mail folder on
> my
> server.
>
> I've been backing it up to local hd via rsync but that drive just
> died,
> I'd prefer to have it backed up to somewhere more stable than a home
> box
> and automated via cron (cli tools a must), but encryption is
> important,
> people are snoopy and I'm paranoid about that sort of stuff.

http://rsync.net/

I have not used them personally, but a few acquaintances have been using them for a year or two with no problems. 'It just works.'

--Tim

Timo Schoeler 08-08-2010 04:31 PM

Encrypted remote backup?

08-08-2010 06:12 PM

Encrypted remote backup?

Michael A. Peters writes:

> Can anyone recommend a commercial off site remote backup service with a
> client (preferably FOSS) for CentOS 5, preferably that allows encryption
> of the data being backed up?
>
> Small scale, I'm primarily looking to just back up my mail folder on my
> server.
>
> I've been backing it up to local hd via rsync but that drive just died,
> I'd prefer to have it backed up to somewhere more stable than a home box
> and automated via cron (cli tools a must), but encryption is important,
> people are snoopy and I'm paranoid about that sort of stuff.

I am also looking for encrypted remote backups, been searching the internetz
for a while. The only service worth considering so far (imho) is Colin
Percival's tarsnap (www.tasnap.com).
Let me know which solution you choose, I'm interested.

--
Nux!
www.nux.ro

Rajagopal Swaminathan 08-08-2010 07:14 PM

Encrypted remote backup?

Greetings,

On 8/8/10, Michael A. Peters <mpeters@mac.com> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a commercial off site remote backup service with a
> client (preferably FOSS) for CentOS 5, preferably that allows encryption
> of the data being backed up?
>
> Small scale, I'm primarily looking to just back up my mail folder on my
> server.
>
> I've been backing it up to local hd via rsync but that drive just died,
> I'd prefer to have it backed up to somewhere more stable than a home box
> and automated via cron (cli tools a must), but encryption is important,
> people are snoopy and I'm paranoid about that sort of stuff.

Dunno how http://nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/ will work for you.

Comments solicited from esteemed members. Of course Amanda, Bacula are
there in the conventional DR model.

Never had an opportunity/resources to try it though.

But all the same, looks impressive:

http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/examples.html

Regards

Rajagopal

Rajagopal Swaminathan 08-08-2010 07:19 PM

Encrypted remote backup?

Greetings,

> On 8/8/10, Michael A. Peters <mpeters@mac.com> wrote:

Better news still, It seems centos rpms are available for x86(32/64
bits) and ppc arch at (hopefully) at an yum repository

http://packages.sw.be/rdiff-backup/

Again, I have never touched it...

Regards,

Rajagopal