Old 08-06-2010, 08:24 AM
Dotan Cohen

Default Remote nautilus, X display forwarding problem

I need to open a Nautilus window on a headless server, but no matter
what I try it complains about the display:

✈dcl:~$ xhost + localhost
localhost being added to access control list
✈dcl:~$ ssh -X user@ip.address
[user@CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]$ export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
[user@CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]$ nautilus --display=0:0
cannot open display: 0:0
Run 'nautilus --help' to see a full list of available command line options.
[user@CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]$

Googling the situation it looks like I've covered all the steps:
enabling remote X, X forwarding, display export and telling Nautilus
which display to use. Any other ideas? Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 08-06-2010, 08:43 AM
"Simon Billis"

Hi Dotan,

> I need to open a Nautilus window on a headless server, but no matter
> what I try it complains about the display:
>
> ✈dcl:~$ xhost + localhost
> localhost being added to access control list
> ✈dcl:~$ ssh -X user@ip.address
> [user@CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]$ export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
> [user@CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]$ nautilus --display=0:0
> cannot open display: 0:0
> Run 'nautilus --help' to see a full list of available command line
> options.
> [user@CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]$
>
> Googling the situation it looks like I've covered all the steps:
> enabling remote X, X forwarding, display export and telling Nautilus
> which display to use. Any other ideas? Thanks!

Check that you have X11Forwarding yes in sshd.conf

Rgds

Simon

Old 08-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 11:43, Simon Billis <simon@houxou.com> wrote:
> Check that you have X11Forwarding yes in sshd.conf
>
> Rgds
>
> Simon

Thanks, Simon, it appears so:

[root@CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]# cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config | grep X11Forwarding
#X11Forwarding no
X11Forwarding yes

The SSH server (and the machine itself) had been reset since that
change has been made, of course.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 08-06-2010, 09:05 AM
"Simon Billis"

> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 11:43, Simon Billis <simon@houxou.com> wrote:
> > Check that you have X11Forwarding yes in sshd.conf
> >
> > Rgds
> >
> > Simon
> >

> Thanks, Simon, it appears so:
>
> [root@CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]# cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config | grep
> X11Forwarding
> #X11Forwarding no
> X11Forwarding yes
>
> The SSH server (and the machine itself) had been reset since that
> change has been made, of course.
Having reread your OP - try running nautilus without the display setting at
the end (it's superfluous considering that you have a exported the display
variable) as you had a typo in the incatation or replace the ":" with a "."

HTH

S.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Hakan Koseoglu

Dotan,

Do not do these steps:

On 6 August 2010 09:24, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> [user@CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]$ export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
> [user@CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]$ nautilus --display=0:0
> cannot open display: 0:0

When you connect with sssh -X, it will create the tunnel and assign a
DISPLAY variable.
hakan@hakan-laptop:10:29:51:~$ ssh -X hobbit
Last login: Thu Aug 5 09:45:59 2010 from 10.15.1.99
more cowbells!
/ It is impossible to defend perfectly
| against the attack of those who want to |
die. /
^__^
(oo)\_______
(__) )/
||----w |
|| ||
[hakan@hobbit ~]$ echo $DISPLAY
localhost:10.0

and then you can run Nautilus w/o a problem, with no options necessary.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:54 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 12:05, Simon Billis <simon@houxou.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 11:43, Simon Billis <simon@houxou.com> wrote:
>> > Check that you have X11Forwarding yes in sshd.conf
>> >
>> > Rgds
>> >
>> > Simon
>> >

>> Thanks, Simon, it appears so:
>>
>> [root@CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]# cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config *| grep
>> X11Forwarding
>> #X11Forwarding no
>> X11Forwarding yes
>>
>> The SSH server (and the machine itself) had been reset since that
>> change has been made, of course.
> Having reread your OP - try running nautilus without the display setting at
> the end (it's superfluous considering that you have a exported the display
> variable) as you had a typo in the incatation or replace the ":" with a "."
>
> HTH
>
> S.

Still no luck:
[user@CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]$ nautilus
cannot open display:

Old 08-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 12:31, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan@koseoglu.org> wrote:
> Dotan,
>
> Do not do these steps:
>
> On 6 August 2010 09:24, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [user@CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]$ export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
>> [user@CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]$ nautilus --display=0:0
>> cannot open display: 0:0
>
> When you connect with sssh -X, it will create the tunnel and assign a
> DISPLAY variable.
> hakan@hakan-laptop:10:29:51:~$ ssh -X hobbit
> Last login: Thu Aug *5 09:45:59 2010 from 10.15.1.99
> more cowbells!
> *_________________________________________
> / It is impossible to defend perfectly * *
> | against the attack of those who want to |
> die. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
> *-----------------------------------------
> * * * * * ^__^
> * * * * *(oo)\_______
> * * * * * *(__) * * * )/
> * * * * * * * *||----w |
> * * * * * * * *|| * * ||
> [hakan@hobbit ~]$ echo $DISPLAY
> localhost:10.0
>
> and then you can run Nautilus w/o a problem, with no options necessary.

For some reason, now I can just SSH -X in and then start Nautilus.
This was _not_ working earlier, which is why I hit google and found
the "display" playthings. Maybe I was forgetting the -X (I don't have
a history to check, arh!). I don't know, but it works now.

Thanks, sorry for the noise.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 08-06-2010, 09:59 AM
"Simon Billis"

Hi,

> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 12:05, Simon Billis <simon@houxou.com> wrote:
> >> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 11:43, Simon Billis <simon@houxou.com> wrote:

CUT

> Still no luck:
> [user@CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]$ nautilus
> cannot open display:
> Run 'nautilus --help' to see a full list of available command line
> options.
> [user@CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]$ nautilus --display=0.0
> cannot open display: 0.0
> Run 'nautilus --help' to see a full list of available command line
> options.
> [user@CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]$

Ah yes - Hakan Koseoglu has correctly identified the problem in his recent sorry to have wasted your time :-)

S.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 12:59, Simon Billis <simon@houxou.com> wrote:
> Ah yes - Hakan Koseoglu has correctly identified the problem in his recent sorry to have wasted your time :-)

No, I feel that I had wasted yours! But if we both had learned
something then the time was invested, not wasted. Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 08-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Keith Roberts

From: Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Remote nautilus, X display forwarding problem

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 12:05, Simon Billis <simon@houxou.com> wrote:

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 11:43, Simon Billis <simon@houxou.com> wrote:
> Check that you have X11Forwarding yes in sshd.conf
>
> Rgds
>
> Simon

Thanks, Simon, it appears so:

[root@CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]# cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config *| grep
X11Forwarding
#X11Forwarding no
X11Forwarding yes

The SSH server (and the machine itself) had been reset since that
change has been made, of course.

Having reread your OP - try running nautilus without the display setting at
the end (it's superfluous considering that you have a exported the display
variable) as you had a typo in the incatation or replace the ":" with a "."

HTH

S.

Still no luck:
[user@CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]$ nautilus
cannot open display:
Run 'nautilus --help' to see a full list of available command line options.
[user@CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]$ nautilus --display=0.0
cannot open display: 0.0
Run 'nautilus --help' to see a full list of available command line options.
[user@CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]$

Hi Dotan.

Give me a temporary login (sent directly via email) as
user@CentOS-55-32-minimal, and I'll see if I can login and
run Nautilus from here.

Are there any other X apps that you can run on the remote
box that will work over ssh -X ?

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: