Old 08-06-2010, 06:48 AM
"Matt Arnilo S. Baluyos (Mailing Lists)"

Default yum-fastestmirror inconsistent exclude behavior

Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out something wherein excluded repositories for
the yum-fastestmirror plugin are still being used by the system.

To illustrate:

[root@sales ~]# cat /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/fastestmirror.conf
[main]
enabled=1
verbose=0
socket_timeout=3
hostfilepath=/var/cache/yum/timedhosts.txt
maxhostfileage=10
maxthreads=15
#exclude=.gov, facebook
exclude=maulvi, .gov.ph, .vn

(Note the name of mirrors that I am trying to exclude)

However, when I run yum, this is what I get:

[root@sales ~]# yum update
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Excluding mirror: mirror.pscigrid.gov.ph
Excluding mirror: mirror.viethosting.vn
* addons: centos.maulvi.net
Excluding mirror: mirror.pscigrid.gov.ph
Excluding mirror: mirror.viethosting.vn
* base: centos.maulvi.net
Excluding mirror: mirror.pscigrid.gov.ph
Excluding mirror: mirror.viethosting.vn
* extras: centos.maulvi.net
* rpmforge: fr2.rpmfind.net
Excluding mirror: centos.maulvi.net
* updates: mirror.viethosting.vn
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update
[root@sales ~]#

If you notice, centos.maulvi.net is still being used despite me
putting it on the exclude list of the fastestmirror config. Also, the
behavior does not seem to be consistent as on another repo (updates),
the previously excluded mirror.viethosting.vn is used.

Any pointers on what I could be doing wrong? or is this a bug?

Thanks!

Regards,
Matt

--
Stand before it and there is no beginning.
Follow it and there is no end.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:29 AM
JohnS

On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 16:48 +1000, Matt Arnilo S. Baluyos (Mailing
Lists) wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm trying to figure out something wherein excluded repositories for
> the yum-fastestmirror plugin are still being used by the system.
>
> To illustrate:
<snip>
> #exclude=.gov, facebook
> exclude=maulvi, .gov.ph, .vn
---

Like so: exclude=mirror.pscigrid.gov. ph mirror.viethosting.vn

I never use fastest mirror but I'm sure it is like the main yum exclude
cantation, (no spaces).
man yum.conf for more info?

John

Old 08-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 08/06/2010 08:29 AM, JohnS wrote:
>> I'm trying to figure out something wherein excluded repositories for
>> the yum-fastestmirror plugin are still being used by the system.
> I never use fastest mirror but I'm sure it is like the main yum exclude
> cantation, (no spaces).
> man yum.conf for more info?

The actual example shipped in the config file for fastestmirror does use
a comma, and looking at the code very briefly it looks like it should
honour it.

Its definitely worth investigating as to whats going on.

- KB

Old 08-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Todd Denniston

Matt Arnilo S. Baluyos (Mailing Lists) wrote, On 08/06/2010 02:48 AM:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm trying to figure out something wherein excluded repositories for
> the yum-fastestmirror plugin are still being used by the system.
>
> To illustrate:
>
> [root@sales ~]# cat /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/fastestmirror.conf

> #exclude=.gov, facebook
> exclude=maulvi, .gov.ph, .vn

Out of curiosity,
is there a way (with out editing code) to get each of the lists of mirrors (which were sent to the
yum client) printed before the exclude starts taking place?

i.e., for fun (in the US) I tried
exclude=.net, .com, .edu

which does show long lists of excluded items, yet a mirror for each of the repos was found, and yes
each of the repos found should have been in the exclude list.

A guess (as I am not familiar with reading python) is that when the number of repositories available
after exclusions reaches 0, the first [0 index] mirror passed to you is used anyway instead of
reporting no mirrors available and exiting.
see fastestmirror.py lines 194-216.

[hoping my reading is not too far off :]
--
Todd Denniston

Old 08-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Lee Perez

Matt Arnilo S. Baluyos (Mailing Lists) wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm trying to figure out something wherein excluded repositories for
> the yum-fastestmirror plugin are still being used by the system.
>
> To illustrate:
>
> [root@sales ~]# cat /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/fastestmirror.conf
> [main]
> enabled=1
> verbose=0
> socket_timeout=3
> hostfilepath=/var/cache/yum/timedhosts.txt
> maxhostfileage=10
> maxthreads=15
> #exclude=.gov, facebook
> exclude=maulvi, .gov.ph, .vn
>
> (Note the name of mirrors that I am trying to exclude)
>
> However, when I run yum, this is what I get:
>
> [root@sales ~]# yum update
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
> Excluding mirror: mirror.pscigrid.gov.ph
> Excluding mirror: mirror.viethosting.vn
> * addons: centos.maulvi.net
> Excluding mirror: mirror.pscigrid.gov.ph
> Excluding mirror: mirror.viethosting.vn
> * base: centos.maulvi.net
> Excluding mirror: mirror.pscigrid.gov.ph
> Excluding mirror: mirror.viethosting.vn
> * extras: centos.maulvi.net
> * rpmforge: fr2.rpmfind.net
> Excluding mirror: centos.maulvi.net
> * updates: mirror.viethosting.vn
> Setting up Update Process
> No Packages marked for Update
> [root@sales ~]#
>
> If you notice, centos.maulvi.net is still being used despite me
> putting it on the exclude list of the fastestmirror config. Also, the
> behavior does not seem to be consistent as on another repo (updates),
> the previously excluded mirror.viethosting.vn is used.
>
> Any pointers on what I could be doing wrong? or is this a bug?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> Matt

Hi Matt,

Just out of curiosity, have you tried putting a . in front of maulvi
(exclude=.maulvi, .gov.ph, .vn). This is just from my old cool
programing days when a misplaced . would drive you nuts.

HTH.
Lee