-   -   CentOS to RedHat and vice versa (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/408901-centos-redhat-vice-versa.html)

Kwan Lowe 08-05-2010 02:24 PM

CentOS to RedHat and vice versa

Has anyone ever tried to mass replace installed RedHat RPMS with their
equivalent CentOS versions or vice versa?

I was thinking of generating a list of all packages and then running
RPM or yum with a 'replace' option.

The reason for doing this:
Years ago I was tasked with building a RHEL4 system. Budgeting, time
constraints, the lunar cycle, etc.., prevented the purchase of an
equivalent development environment. So CentOS was used for the
development/test system. It sufficed for several years. Now I need to
make them as close to identical as possible which means registering
the development system in RHN and making it "standard".

I've seen posts that RHEL -> CentOS is at least possible. That is,
take a RHEL system and get it to update via YUM and CentOS
repositories. I have not seen the reverse, however.

Karanbir Singh 08-05-2010 02:29 PM

On 08/05/2010 03:24 PM, Kwan Lowe wrote:
> I've seen posts that RHEL -> CentOS is at least possible. That is,
> take a RHEL system and get it to update via YUM and CentOS
> repositories. I have not seen the reverse, however.

you might want to speak with your Red Hat support / sales guys as well,
going down that route might cause them to get upset ( or not be liable
for support )

- KB

Tom Georgoulias 08-05-2010 02:43 PM

On 08/05/2010 10:24 AM, Kwan Lowe wrote:
> Has anyone ever tried to mass replace installed RedHat RPMS with their
> equivalent CentOS versions or vice versa?

> I've seen posts that RHEL -> CentOS is at least possible. That is,
> take a RHEL system and get it to update via YUM and CentOS
> repositories. I have not seen the reverse, however.

Check this out, it will point you in the right direction:

http://blog.famillecollet.com/post/2010/04/15/Switch-from-CentOS-5.4-to-RHEL-5.5

Tom

Kwan Lowe 08-05-2010 03:47 PM

CentOS to RedHat and vice versa

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Tom Georgoulias
<tomg@mcclatchyinteractive.com> wrote:
> On 08/05/2010 10:24 AM, Kwan Lowe wrote:
>> Has anyone ever tried to mass replace installed RedHat RPMS with their
>> equivalent CentOS versions or vice versa?
>
>> I've seen posts that RHEL -> *CentOS is at least possible. That is,
>> take a RHEL system and get it to update via YUM and CentOS
>> repositories. *I have not seen the reverse, however.
>
> Check this out, it will point you in the right direction:
>
> http://blog.famillecollet.com/post/2010/04/15/Switch-from-CentOS-5.4-to-RHEL-5.5

Holy heck, that looks very much like what I'm trying to do.. I'm
running an CentOS4/RHEL4, but that's a lot of useful information..
Thank you..

Kwan Lowe 08-05-2010 03:56 PM

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 08/05/2010 03:24 PM, Kwan Lowe wrote:
>> I've seen posts that RHEL -> *CentOS is at least possible. That is,
>> take a RHEL system and get it to update via YUM and CentOS
>> repositories. *I have not seen the reverse, however.
>
> you might want to speak with your Red Hat *support / sales guys as well,
> going down that route might cause them to get upset ( or not be liable
> for support )

:) Yes, that is a concern. For good or bad, I don't use their
support offerings too often. Their turnaround time is 24 hours, and
just about every technical question I've had has been much more
thoroughly dissected here on this list. The switch to an official
RHEL4 is mainly for procedural compliance. I.e., bring it under
Satellite control so that we can manage patches and generate reports.
Luckily it is a VMWare machine so my intention is to clone the CentOS
image, do all the conversion work, then attempt to register it.