Old 08-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Drew

Default mirrors down?

> And it's still going. What we have here is a massive problem with the
> mirrors.
>
> So, any *real* idea what's going on?
>
> * * * *mark

Other then http://mirror.harvard.edu/ everything referenced in your
test is showing as up.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie

Old 08-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Bowie Bailey

On 8/5/2010 10:07 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> I do not believe it's a local yum issue. I tried to point firefox to
> http://mirror.harvard.edu, not exactly an obscure mirror, and it times
> out. As I work for an agency of the US gov't, and we have *fat* pipes,
> it's not likely to be on our end.
>
> >From yum -d9 update:
> <snip>
> Could not retrieve mirrorlist
> http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/mirrors-rpmforge error was
> [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (110, 'Connection timed out')>
> <...>
> http://mirror.umoss.org/fedora/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno
> 12] Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>
> Trying other mirror.
> http://mirror.vcu.edu/pub/gnu%2Blinux/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno 12] Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>
> Trying other mirror.
> http://mirror.cc.columbia.edu/pub/linux/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno 12] Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>
> Trying other mirror.
> http://mirror.seas.harvard.edu/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno
> 12] Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>
> Trying other mirror.
> http://mirrors.rit.edu/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 12]
> Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>
> Trying other mirror.
> http://download.fedora.sr.unh.edu/pub/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno 12] Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>
> Trying other mirror.
>
> And it's still going. What we have here is a massive problem with the
> mirrors.
>
> So, any *real* idea what's going on?

No major problems here. One epel mirror failed, but the next one it
tried worked and everything kept going.

--
Bowie

Old 08-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Karanbir Singh

> And it's still going. What we have here is a massive problem with the
> mirrors.

I cant reproduce the issue, but from the looks of things, you seem to
have a bad network locally to you. I'd doubt the whole internet had
fallen apart at exactly the same time.

Also, if you are using fastestmirror, that shold find and remove from
the yum run any url to a machine that isnt available at the time.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Niki Kovacs

m.roth@5-cent.us a écrit :
> Just went to update a couple systems this morning, and first one machine
> took nearly 15 min to find the mirrors (and it should be getting it all
> from our own repo, actually), and then the next one showed about 8-10
> mirrors down, including Harvard and VCU. Anyone know what's going on?

Same here. Running 'yum check-update' on my normally superfast dedicated
server (in a datacenter in France) takes ages.

Niki

Old 08-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Robert Heller

> Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > On 08/05/2010 02:44 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> >> Just went to update a couple systems this morning, and first one machine
> >> took nearly 15 min to find the mirrors (and it should be getting it all
> >> from our own repo, actually), and then the next one showed about 8-10
> >> mirrors down, including Harvard and VCU. Anyone know what's going on?
> >
> > debugging yum issues is almost always best done from your local client
> > instance. Running yum with -d9 would be a good place to start from.
>
> I do not believe it's a local yum issue. I tried to point firefox to
> http://mirror.harvard.edu, not exactly an obscure mirror, and it times
> out. As I work for an agency of the US gov't, and we have *fat* pipes,
> it's not likely to be on our end.
>
> >From yum -d9 update:
> <snip>
> Could not retrieve mirrorlist
> http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/mirrors-rpmforge error was
> [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (110, 'Connection timed out')>
> <...>

I can fetch http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/mirrors-rpmforge just fine on
my dialup connection via localnet.com

> http://mirror.umoss.org/fedora/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno
> 12] Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>

And I can fetch
http://mirror.umoss.org/fedora/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml as well

> Trying other mirror.
> http://mirror.vcu.edu/pub/gnu%2Blinux/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno 12] Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>

And I can fetch
http://mirror.vcu.edu/pub/gnu%2Blinux/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml

These are all with Firefox.

You might want to double check things at your end. If *I* can fetch
these URLs with a low-end funky dialup connection, I would guess that
the *servers* are fine. Something else is wrong. Maybe someone did
something screwy with a firewall or router somewhere? Or maybe a router
has just gone bad.

> Trying other mirror.
> http://mirror.cc.columbia.edu/pub/linux/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno 12] Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>
> Trying other mirror.
> http://mirror.seas.harvard.edu/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno
> 12] Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>
> Trying other mirror.
> http://mirrors.rit.edu/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 12]
> Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>
> Trying other mirror.
> http://download.fedora.sr.unh.edu/pub/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno 12] Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>
> Trying other mirror.
>
> And it's still going. What we have here is a massive problem with the
> mirrors.
>
> So, any *real* idea what's going on?
>
> mark

Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller@deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Old 08-05-2010, 03:23 PM

Steve Huff wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2010, at 10:07 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>
>> I do not believe it's a local yum issue. I tried to point firefox to
>> http://mirror.harvard.edu, not exactly an obscure mirror, and it times
>> out. As I work for an agency of the US gov't, and we have *fat* pipes,
>> it's not likely to be on our end.
>
> Mark,
>
> 1) are you looking for CentOS mirrors or for RPMforge/Fedora/EPEL mirrors?
>
> 2) do you, perhaps, mean to point to http://mirror.hmdc.harvard.edu/
> rather than http://mirror.harvard.edu/?
>
> -steve
> (AKA shuff@hmdc.harvard.edu)

I see the email....<g>

I just called our network support, and when I asked if there'd been a
firewall change in the last 12 hours, was told "there's a routing issue",
with no ETR.

*sigh*

Thanks, folks.

mark "rollback the change, um, what's that mean?"

Old 08-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Scott Robbins

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 10:13:50AM -0400, Whit Blauvelt wrote:

> yum update runs instantly for me from NYC just now. Yum was working a
> half-hour back from NY too.

Same here, from both NYC (roadrunner), and work (Verizon commercial,
LIC).

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Now, we can do this the hard way or... well, actually,
there's just the hard way.
Darla: That's fine with me.
Buffy: Are you sure? Now this is not gonna be pretty. We're
talking violence, strong language, adult content.