-   -   mirrors down? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/408885-mirrors-down.html)

08-05-2010 01:44 PM

mirrors down?

Just went to update a couple systems this morning, and first one machine
took nearly 15 min to find the mirrors (and it should be getting it all
from our own repo, actually), and then the next one showed about 8-10
mirrors down, including Harvard and VCU. Anyone know what's going on?

mark

Karanbir Singh 08-05-2010 01:52 PM

mirrors down?

> Just went to update a couple systems this morning, and first one machine
> took nearly 15 min to find the mirrors (and it should be getting it all
> from our own repo, actually), and then the next one showed about 8-10
> mirrors down, including Harvard and VCU. Anyone know what's going on?

debugging yum issues is almost always best done from your local client
instance. Running yum with -d9 would be a good place to start from.

- KB

08-05-2010 02:07 PM

mirrors down?

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 08/05/2010 02:44 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> Just went to update a couple systems this morning, and first one machine
>> took nearly 15 min to find the mirrors (and it should be getting it all
>> from our own repo, actually), and then the next one showed about 8-10
>> mirrors down, including Harvard and VCU. Anyone know what's going on?
>
> debugging yum issues is almost always best done from your local client
> instance. Running yum with -d9 would be a good place to start from.

I do not believe it's a local yum issue. I tried to point firefox to
http://mirror.harvard.edu, not exactly an obscure mirror, and it times
out. As I work for an agency of the US gov't, and we have *fat* pipes,
it's not likely to be on our end.

>From yum -d9 update:
<snip>
Could not retrieve mirrorlist
http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/mirrors-rpmforge error was
[Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (110, 'Connection timed out')>
<...>
http://mirror.umoss.org/fedora/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno
12] Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>
Trying other mirror.
http://mirror.vcu.edu/pub/gnu%2Blinux/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml:
http://mirror.cc.columbia.edu/pub/linux/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml:
http://mirror.seas.harvard.edu/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno
http://mirrors.rit.edu/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 12]
http://download.fedora.sr.unh.edu/pub/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml:
[Errno 12] Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>
Trying other mirror.

And it's still going. What we have here is a massive problem with the
mirrors.

So, any *real* idea what's going on?

mark

Whit Blauvelt 08-05-2010 02:13 PM

mirrors down?

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 10:07:33AM -0400, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> http://mirror.harvard.edu, not exactly an obscure mirror, and it times
> out.

Doesn't look to be a mirror.harvard.edu in DNS.

> >From yum -d9 update:

yum update runs instantly for me from NYC just now. Yum was working a
half-hour back from NY too.

Whit