-   -   access to file system through web browser (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/408742-access-file-system-through-web-browser.html)

Jobst Schmalenbach 08-05-2010 01:08 AM

access to file system through web browser

Hi.

I am trying to find "something" (php prefered) that I can stick onto a
Centos apache server that would allow me to browse a selected file system
by employees through a web-browser "explorer like" interface.

I know I can do this through WinSCP (and have done so), but my problem is I have
Linux, Windows and MAC clients and my knowledge of MAC's is rather limited.

I can limit access to the (php) files to (ranges of) IP addresses, so security
is reasonable ok and doing this through a web interface saves me time, too, as
I only have to do this once, and security fixes is easy, too.

Is there anything that would imitate a tree view like interface to
browse a file system?

Jobst

--
"She said she loved my mind, though by most accounts I had already lost it."

John R Pierce 08-05-2010 01:21 AM

On 08/04/10 6:08 PM, Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am trying to find "something" (php prefered) that I can stick onto a
> Centos apache server that would allow me to browse a selected file system
> by employees through a web-browser "explorer like" interface.

enable apache directory indexes.

Athmane Madjoudj 08-05-2010 01:25 AM

On 08/05/2010 02:21 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 08/04/10 6:08 PM, Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I am trying to find "something" (php prefered) that I can stick onto a
>> Centos apache server that would allow me to browse a selected file system
>> by employees through a web-browser "explorer like" interface.
>
> enable apache directory indexes.

If you don't have access to Apache configuration, you can try to create
.htaccess with the following content:

Options +Indexes

--
Athmane Madjoudj

Lucian 08-05-2010 02:54 AM

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 2:08 AM, Jobst Schmalenbach <jobst@barrett.com.au> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I am trying to find "something" (php prefered) that I can stick onto a
> Centos apache server that would allow me to browse a selected file system
> by employees through a web-browser "explorer like" interface.
>
> I know I can do this through WinSCP (and have done so), but my problem is I have
> Linux, Windows and MAC clients and my knowledge of MAC's is rather limited.
>
> I can limit access to the (php) files to (ranges of) IP addresses, so security
> is reasonable ok and doing this through a web interface saves me time, too, as
> I only have to do this once, and security fixes is easy, too.
>
> Is there anything that would imitate a tree view like interface to
> browse a file system?

Webdav! Then you can mount the webdav "share" in windows/linux/mac(?)
as a drive.

Dotan Cohen 08-05-2010 05:48 AM

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 04:08, Jobst Schmalenbach <jobst@barrett.com.au> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I am trying to find "something" (php prefered) that I can stick onto a
> Centos apache server that would allow me to browse a selected file system
> by employees through a web-browser "explorer like" interface.
>
> I know I can do this through WinSCP (and have done so), but my problem is I have
> Linux, Windows and MAC clients and my knowledge of MAC's is rather limited.
>
> I can limit access to the (php) files to (ranges of) IP addresses, so security
> is reasonable ok and doing this through a web interface saves me time, too, as
> I only have to do this once, and security fixes is easy, too.
>
> Is there anything that would imitate a tree view like interface to
> browse a file system?
>
> Jobst

Here is a file manager that I started writing in PHP some years ago,
but never finished:
http://dotancohen.com/downloads/TerribleFile_0.7.php.txt

The code is probably a mess, the whole idea was to learn PHP at the
time and I've never gone back to clean it up. It's pretty usable,
though.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Mathieu Baudier 08-05-2010 08:24 AM

access to file system through web browser

> I am trying to find "something" (php prefered) that I can stick onto a
> Centos apache server that would allow me to browse a selected file system
> by employees through a web-browser "explorer like" interface.

AjaXplorer is a mature and pretty well supported web files explorer,
with plugins for various authentications and backends:
http://www.ajaxplorer.info/

Les Mikesell 08-05-2010 04:20 PM

On 8/4/2010 8:08 PM, Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I am trying to find "something" (php prefered) that I can stick onto a
> Centos apache server that would allow me to browse a selected file system
> by employees through a web-browser "explorer like" interface.
>
> I know I can do this through WinSCP (and have done so), but my problem is I have
> Linux, Windows and MAC clients and my knowledge of MAC's is rather limited.

Look for something called fugu for the Mac.

> I can limit access to the (php) files to (ranges of) IP addresses, so security
> is reasonable ok and doing this through a web interface saves me time, too, as
> I only have to do this once, and security fixes is easy, too.
>
> Is there anything that would imitate a tree view like interface to
> browse a file system?

Others have suggested enabling indexes in apache which will work if all
you have to do is read and apache has file system permissions. I
haven't used it for a while, but I thought webmin had a decent file
manager component and you might find some of the other modules useful too.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Mathieu Baudier 08-05-2010 04:41 PM

access to file system through web browser

> AjaXplorer is a mature and pretty well supported web files explorer,
> with plugins for various authentications and backends:
> http://www.ajaxplorer.info/

with some instructions for CentOS here:
http://www.argeo.org/mediawiki/index.php/AjaXplorer#How_To_Install_on_RHEL.2FCentOS_5

Note especially:

<Directory /usr/local/share/ajaxplorer>
php_value error_reporting 2
</Directory>

08-05-2010 05:02 PM

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 8/4/2010 8:08 PM, Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to find "something" (php prefered) that I can stick onto a
>> Centos apache server that would allow me to browse a selected file
>> system by employees through a web-browser "explorer like" interface.
>>
>> I know I can do this through WinSCP (and have done so), but my problem
>> is I have Linux, Windows and MAC clients and my knowledge of MAC's is
rather
>> limited.
<snip>
So, you just need it for the Macs? For Linux, konqueror comes with every
distro.

mark

Les Mikesell 08-05-2010 06:31 PM

access to file system through web browser

> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On 8/4/2010 8:08 PM, Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:
>>>
>>> I am trying to find "something" (php prefered) that I can stick onto a
>>> Centos apache server that would allow me to browse a selected file
>>> system by employees through a web-browser "explorer like" interface.
>>>
>>> I know I can do this through WinSCP (and have done so), but my problem
>>> is I have Linux, Windows and MAC clients and my knowledge of MAC's is
> rather
>>> limited.
> <snip>
> So, you just need it for the Macs? For Linux, konqueror comes with every
> distro.

Gnome/nautlius works over ssh too. Or install fuse-sshfs from epel and
mount it so anything can use it.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com