Old 08-06-2010, 05:04 AM
Jobst Schmalenbach

Default access to file system through web browser

Hi

Using apache (either webdav or index) destroys the file permissions, on top
of that I have to add the user that runs apache (nobody) to the group permissions
having access to the file system.

Most of my file systems do not have global access, only owner/group ...
especially when it comes to data files ...

WINSCP uses ssh, and ssh (when logged in) uses the file permissions
that are used within the system. This is one of the prime reasons using WINSCP.

The only way I can achieve keeping the permissions alive using either WINSCP
(or derivatives) or a UI (php based) that interacts with the filessystem
sthrough php based functions (imap,ftp,ssh).

I found a few .. and there are some really good ones ... after I put the correct
search terms in (thanks for that hint).

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=php+file+browser

Jobst

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 11:08:28AM +1000, Jobst Schmalenbach (jobst@barrett.com.au) wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I am trying to find "something" (php prefered) that I can stick onto a
> Centos apache server that would allow me to browse a selected file system
> by employees through a web-browser "explorer like" interface.
>
> I know I can do this through WinSCP (and have done so), but my problem is I have
> Linux, Windows and MAC clients and my knowledge of MAC's is rather limited.
>
> I can limit access to the (php) files to (ranges of) IP addresses, so security
> is reasonable ok and doing this through a web interface saves me time, too, as
> I only have to do this once, and security fixes is easy, too.
>
> Is there anything that would imitate a tree view like interface to
> browse a file system?
>
> Jobst
>

> --
> "She said she loved my mind, though by most accounts I had already lost it."

'I will go to Korea.' - Dwight D Eisenhower.