Old 08-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Kevin Chang

Default Introduction and request for help with virtualization

Good morning everyone.* This is my first post to this list. I am very new to Linux so please bear with me. Also, English is not my first language so please excuse me if I am unclear.

I am trying to install CentOS Linux operating system in a virtualization setup. I have already built four host machines with CentOS 5.5 and KVM virtualization. I can install fine if I do a manual installation. I am now trying to automate the process.* To this goal, I have create multiple LVMs inside my new volume group. The name of the volume group is vmstorage_vg.* The problem occurs when I try to run the installation.

I found a script via google:

#!/bin/sh

virt-install
-n calcnode01
-r 1024
-f /dev/vmstorage_vg/calcnode01
--cdrom=/software/iso/CentOS-5.5_x86_64-boot.iso
--accelerate
--vnc

-x "ks=ftp://192.168.0.101/pub/ks/calcnode01.ks ip=192.168.0.101 netmask=255.255.255.0 dns=192.168.0.20 gateway=192.168.0.1 text console=ttyS0"

When I start this script from the SSH terminal it starts but I cannot see anything being installed.* I entered the virsh console and see the calcnode01 entry if I do a list.* If I try to connect using virsh I do not see anything.* The kickstart was created from the anaconda file created from the manual
installation. I enabled the options to create the filesystems.

I think the installation is waiting on some input but I cannot see any console.* I have tried with and without the "console=ttyS0" option.

Thank you everyone for your time.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:54 PM
James Hogarth

Does virt-manager show anything for the guest when connected to the kvm host?

Sent from Android Mobile

On 4 Aug 2010 16:31, "Kevin Chang" <kico.chang@gmail.com> wrote:> Good morning everyone. This is my first post to this list. I am very new to

Old 08-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Christoph Maser

Am Mittwoch, den 04.08.2010, 11:30 -0400 schrieb Kevin Chang:
> I found a script via google:
>

> #!/bin/sh
>
> virt-install
> -n calcnode01
> -r 1024
> -f /dev/vmstorage_vg/calcnode01
> --cdrom=/software/iso/CentOS-5.5_x86_64-boot.iso
> --accelerate
> --vnc
> -x "ks=ftp://192.168.0.101/pub/ks/calcnode01.ks ip=192.168.0.101
> netmask=255.255.255.0 dns=192.168.0.20 gateway=192.168.0.1 text
> console=ttyS0"
>
> When I start this script from the SSH terminal it starts but I cannot
> see anything being installed. I entered the virsh console and see the
> calcnode01 entry if I do a list. If I try to connect using virsh I do
> not see anything. The kickstart was created from the anaconda file
> created from the manual installation. I enabled the options to create
> the filesystems.
>
> I think the installation is waiting on some input but I cannot see any
> console. I have tried with and without the "console=ttyS0" option.
>
> Thank you everyone for your time.

Kevin,

since you use --vnc the console of the vurtual machine is using vnc, you
can use virt-manager or virt-viewer to atttach a graphical console.

+C

Old 08-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Kevin Chang

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Christoph Maser <cmaser@gmx.de> wrote:

> When I start this script from the SSH terminal it starts but I cannot

> see anything being installed. *I entered the virsh console and see the

> calcnode01 entry if I do a list. *If I try to connect using virsh I do

> not see anything. *The kickstart was created from the anaconda file

> created from the manual installation. I enabled the options to create

> the filesystems.

> I think the installation is waiting on some input but I cannot see any

> console. *I have tried with and without the "console=ttyS0" option.

> Thank you everyone for your time.

Kevin,

since you use --vnc the console of the vurtual machine is using vnc, you

can use virt-manager or virt-viewer to atttach a graphical console.

James and Cristoph:
** Thank you. It appears that it was a combination of the vnc option and virt-manager.

** In virt-manager I can see the console boot messages. I do not see the installation itself.

** I attached with VNC and then have see the installation.

** I will try now removing the vnc directive. To troubleshoot is now easier being able to see what is happening.

Thank you again
KC

Old 08-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Kevin Chang

since you use --vnc the console of the vurtual machine is using vnc, you

can use virt-manager or virt-viewer to atttach a graphical console.

I was silly and did think that vnc was for the virtual nic.