-   -   how to dual boot centos with redhat? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/407887-how-dual-boot-centos-redhat.html)

James Hogarth 08-03-2010 11:29 AM

On 3 August 2010 12:07, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All
> On my centos machine, I need to install redhat on one of its partitions and
> so make it dual boot . Can you please let me know how this can be
> accomplished?
> Thank you

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=grub

Seriously?!

hadi motamedi 08-03-2010 11:34 AM

how to dual boot centos with redhat?

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 3:59 PM, James Hogarth <james.hogarth@gmail.com> wrote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=grub

Seriously?!

Actually, my redhat version is an old one that does not recognize usb disk (but my centos can). So I thought if I can install redhat on one of my centos partitions and then copy its contents to usb disk via 'dd if of' utility.Can you please let me know how can I install redhat on my centos?
*

Ralph Angenendt 08-03-2010 11:35 AM

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 1:07 PM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All
> On my centos machine, I need to install redhat on one of its partitions and
> so make it dual boot . Can you please let me know how this can be
> accomplished?

In case you didn't see my mail yesterday: Last warning. Do some
research for yourself before asking here.

Ralph

"John R. Dennison" 08-03-2010 12:03 PM

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 04:09:47PM +0430, hadi motamedi wrote:
> If so, I can un-subscribe from the list.

Please? Pretty please?

Or, even better....

Just learn to do some amount of research on your own so we don't
feel you are just using the list to do your work for you.

Google is a wonderful resource, and quite frankly, would
have presented you with *thousands* of applicable hints for
every issue you've raised here. The CentOS web site and
wiki are also great resources; as are the documents in
/usr/share/doc/* and the man pages.

If we saw you expending some effort to solve your problems
before coming here we wouldn't mind assisting you.

John

--
When I was the most junior Democrat in the Senate, I voted for John Paul
Stevens. He was a Republican nominated by a Republican president who was

-- Senator Patrick J. Leahy, now chairman of the Judiciary Committee, on his
respect for the associate justice who is retiring, New York Times, 10 April 2010

John Doe 08-03-2010 12:42 PM

how to dual boot centos with redhat?

From: hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com>
> Actually, my redhat version is an old one that does not recognize usb disk (but
>
> my centos can). So I thought if I can install redhat on one of my centos
> partitions and then copy its contents to usb disk via 'dd if of' utility.Can
>you
>
> please let me know how can I install redhat on my centos?

So, you want to use an OS that "does not recognize usb disk" on... a usb disk?

JD

Les Mikesell 08-03-2010 12:56 PM

John R. Dennison wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 04:09:47PM +0430, hadi motamedi wrote:
>> If so, I can un-subscribe from the list.
>
> Please? Pretty please?
>
> Or, even better....
>
> Just learn to do some amount of research on your own so we don't
> feel you are just using the list to do your work for you.
>
> Google is a wonderful resource, and quite frankly, would
> have presented you with *thousands* of applicable hints for
> every issue you've raised here. The CentOS web site and
> wiki are also great resources; as are the documents in
> /usr/share/doc/* and the man pages.
>
> If we saw you expending some effort to solve your problems
> before coming here we wouldn't mind assisting you.

Please point out the search result that will solve his problem if it is so easy
for you... Or if you can't, please avoid polluting future searches with
non-answers.

Specifically, he needs a search result that shows how to get the older RedHat
installed on the USB disk it doesn't recognize. There might be a lot that show
how to point a grub entry to different boot partitions, but he won't get that
far. And if he copies a working image from a different install it still
probably won't recognize the disk it is on, and even if the hardware drivers are
there he would have to rebuild the initrd to contain them (and what's the driver
name???).

My advice is to buy hardware that an OS recognizes if you want to actually use
it. And if you just want to try it out (doing research, perhaps?), install
VMware on the best machine you have and run the OS in question as a guest. In
many cases you can find an image already installed that you can just download
and run under VMware player. If you have to build your own, you'll probably
want the latest version of vmware server 1.x that you can find (the 2.x versions
have a problem running under Red Hat or Centos and nobody likes the web based
console). Or if you can meet its hardware requirements, load ESXi on the bare
machine and run all of your other OS's under it. VMware presents virtual
hardware that the guests will see as scsi or ide drives regardless of what the
server is actually using and you can generally copy the images around to
different physical hosts - and you can do what you need with the free versions.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

James Hogarth 08-03-2010 01:09 PM

how to dual boot centos with redhat?

> Please point out the search result that will solve his problem if it is so easy
> for you... *Or if you can't, please avoid polluting future searches with
> non-answers.
>
> Specifically, he needs a search result that shows how to get the older RedHat
> installed on the USB disk it doesn't recognize. *There might be a lot that show
> how to point a grub entry to different boot partitions, but he won't get that
> far. *And if he copies a working image from a different install it still
> probably won't recognize the disk it is on, and even if the hardware drivers are
> there he would have to rebuild the initrd to contain them (and what's the driver
> name???).
>
> My advice is to buy hardware that an OS recognizes if you want to actually use
> it. *And if you just want to try it out (doing research, perhaps?), install
> VMware on the best machine you have and run the OS in question as a guest. *In
> many cases you can find an image already installed that you can just download
> and run under VMware player. *If you have to build your own, you'll probably
> want the latest version of vmware server 1.x that you can find (the 2.x versions
> have a problem running under Red Hat or Centos and *nobody likes the web based
> console). *Or if you can meet its hardware requirements, load ESXi on the bare
> machine and run all of your other OS's under it. * VMware presents virtual
> hardware that the guests will see as scsi or ide drives regardless of what the
> server is actually using and you can generally copy the images around to
> different physical hosts - and you can do what you need with the free versions.
>
> --
> * Les Mikesell
> * * lesmikesell@gmail.com

Actually if he has a CPU with vmx/svm extensions I would have
suggested imaging the old redhat disk to a partition (or file) and
using a kvm instance to run it with emulated ide and nic .... but
quite frankly after seeing his noise on here for so long (and now at
the ubuntu-users mailing list... oh yay?!) with not even the least
amount of research I'd rather he just unsubscribed and stopped
pestering with any task he needs to do at work/home/school.

Inevitably some troll will probably point out or lack of assistance
and sarcasm in this case as that unfriendly FOSS community that yells
"RTFM N00b!" in some slashdot discussion in future... but will just
have to archive his more inane requests for defence then ;)

If he doesn't have a CPU with vmx/svm extensions I'll just quietly
giggle in the corner at the concept of booting an OS that doesn't
recognise USB-storage (which kernel was that introduced again?!) off a
USB storage device...

James

Scott Robbins 08-03-2010 01:10 PM

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 07:56:42AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> John R. Dennison wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 04:09:47PM +0430, hadi motamedi wrote:
> >> If so, I can un-subscribe from the list.
> >

> Please point out the search result that will solve his problem if it is so easy
> for you... Or if you can't, please avoid polluting future searches with
> non-answers.

Just to point out though, that the first query did seem like an
elementary one that could have easily been solved--the onus, in this
case, is probably on the OP, but at any rate....

> VMware on the best machine you have and run the OS in question as a guest. In
> many cases you can find an image already installed that you can just download
> and run under VMware player. If you have to build your own, you'll probably
> want the latest version of vmware server 1.x that you can find (the 2.x versions
> have a problem running under Red Hat or Centos and nobody likes the web based
> console).

Aha---have you tried the latest VMwareplayer? It seems to be their
replacement for the old VMwareserver. It now enables you to install an
O/S, so these days, I'm recommending it over VMware server--like you
(and most people), I greatly dislike the 2.x way of doing things.

There is also the lighter, and at this point, probably less feature-ful
VirtualBox, of course. However, VMwareplayer, like the old VMware
server (that is, 1.x) allows you to install a wide variety of systems.

Also, as was said above, you can often find a prebuilt image.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Oz: We survived.
Buffy: Yeah, it was some battle.
Oz: I meant high school.

"John R. Dennison" 08-03-2010 01:18 PM

how to dual boot centos with redhat?

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 07:56:42AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Please point out the search result that will solve his problem if it is so
> easy for you... Or if you can't, please avoid polluting future searches with
> non-answers.

Please quote the part where I said it was easy if you'd be so
kind? I can't seem to locate it on my own. No one ever said
things were going to be easy in this industry; if they were then
many of us would be out of a job :) But that's really not the
point of my post as you really should be aware of, Les.

> Specifically, he needs a search result that shows how to get the older RedHat
> installed on the USB disk it doesn't recognize. There might be a lot that
> show how to point a grub entry to different boot partitions, but he won't
> get that far. And if he copies a working image from a different install it
> still probably won't recognize the disk it is on, and even if the hardware
> drivers are there he would have to rebuild the initrd to contain them (and
> what's the driver name???).

I am fully aware of all this. And I also am aware that you know
of the back-history of Hadi's blatent misuse of this list.

I, and quite a few others I might point out, are well aware of
Hadi's use of this list to solve all his problems without doing
any research beforehand. If it was only on occasion it would
not be a big deal; however it's not a rare event here.

So, yes, I maintain that google, and the other resources I mentioned
should be his first line of help when issues he's not versed in
arise.

Excuse me if this doesn't add an air of spoonfeeding. I am all
for helping people. I am not, however, all for being used.

If you'd like to continue this thread then I ask you, as a
benefit to this list, that you do so privately to the address
above. Thank you.

John
--
If you're talking behind my back you're in a good position to kiss my ass.
-- Unknown