Old 08-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Whit Blauvelt

Default how to dual boot centos with redhat?

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 09:10:39AM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:

> There is also the lighter, and at this point, probably less feature-ful
> VirtualBox, of course.

VirtualBox works ... until it doesn't. Quality control, in my experience (it
would really take a survey of hundreds of users to be sure, since everything
has bugs _someone_ will encounter), has slipped considerably under Oracle
management.

Can't speak to the relative feature-fulness of VB. Might depend on whether
you count simplicity as a feature. It is pretty darn simple. So for someone
needing a simple answer....

Whit

Old 08-03-2010, 01:47 PM

Les Mikesell wrote:
> John R. Dennison wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 04:09:47PM +0430, hadi motamedi wrote:
>>> If so, I can un-subscribe from the list.
>>
>> Please? Pretty please?
>>
>> Or, even better....
>>
>> Just learn to do some amount of research on your own so we don't
>> feel you are just using the list to do your work for you.
<snip>
> Please point out the search result that will solve his problem if it is so
> easy for you... Or if you can't, please avoid polluting future searches
with
> non-answers.
<snip>
I don't have his first post, but am I misremembering that his .sig said he
was RHCE?

mark

Old 08-03-2010, 01:51 PM
James Hogarth

> I don't have his first post, but am I misremembering that his .sig said he
> was RHCE?
>
> * * * *mark

Never seen an RHCE sig for him to my knowledge...

A quick gmail search of my archive had this as his first post
September last year....

Dear All
Can you please do me favor and let me know what are the highlights of
major benefits of CentOS Release 5 (Final) over the RedHat Linux 7.2
(Enigma) as we are going to migrate to it ?
Thank you in advance
Regards
H.Motamedi

It went downhill from there....

James

Old 08-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 9:09 AM, James Hogarth <james.hogarth@gmail.com> wrote:

> quite frankly after seeing his noise on here for so long (and now at
> the ubuntu-users mailing list... oh yay?!) with not even the least
> amount of research I'd rather he just unsubscribed and stopped
> pestering with any task he needs to do at work/home/school.

Hadi's emails go straight to trash for me but I see responses to his
queries. He regularly posts similar questions to three lists to which
I subscribe:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2010-August/097561.html
On my centos machine, I need to install redhat on one of its partitions
and so make it dual boot. Can you please let me know how this can be
accomplished?

On my debian machine, I need to install redhat on one of its partitions
and so make it dual boot. Can you please let me know how this can be
accomplished?

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2010-August/224844.html
On my ubuntu machine, I need to install redhat on one of its partitions

Old 08-03-2010, 02:23 PM
JohnS

On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 10:13 -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 9:09 AM, James Hogarth <james.hogarth@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > quite frankly after seeing his noise on here for so long (and now at
> > the ubuntu-users mailing list... oh yay?!) with not even the least
> > amount of research I'd rather he just unsubscribed and stopped
> > pestering with any task he needs to do at work/home/school.
>
> Hadi's emails go straight to trash for me but I see responses to his
> queries. He regularly posts similar questions to three lists to which
> I subscribe:
>
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2010-August/097561.html
> On my centos machine, I need to install redhat on one of its partitions
> and so make it dual boot. Can you please let me know how this can be
> accomplished?

> On my debian machine, I need to install redhat on one of its partitions
> and so make it dual boot. Can you please let me know how this can be
> accomplished?
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2010-August/224844.html
> On my ubuntu machine, I need to install redhat on one of its partitions
> and so make it dual boot. Can you please let me know how this can be
> accomplished?
---
Wow determined to get an answer! I give him that. How many more?

John

Old 08-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Whit Blauvelt

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 10:13:39AM -0400, Tom H wrote:

> Hadi's emails go straight to trash for me but I see responses to his
> queries. He regularly posts similar questions to three lists to which
> I subscribe:
>
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2010-August/097561.html
> On my centos machine, I need to install redhat on one of its partitions
> and so make it dual boot. Can you please let me know how this can be
> accomplished?

> On my debian machine, I need to install redhat on one of its partitions
> and so make it dual boot. Can you please let me know how this can be
> accomplished?
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2010-August/224844.html
> On my ubuntu machine, I need to install redhat on one of its partitions
> and so make it dual boot. Can you please let me know how this can be
> accomplished?

Fascinating. Could this be an AI, or a sort of Eliza? Perhaps its an alien
probe gathering data on our network infrastructure by methodically
generating questions to our lists. No human being would simultaneously need
to accomplish the above on three machines at once - certainly not with the
stated goal of moving an older CentOS to a USB stick, when CentOS isn't even
on two of the boxes. Here we are thinking we're being punked by an idiot,
missing the possibility that we're being punked by a space alien AI.

Whit

Old 08-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Les Mikesell

On 8/3/2010 8:18 AM, John R. Dennison wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 07:56:42AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>
>> Please point out the search result that will solve his problem if it is so
>> easy for you... Or if you can't, please avoid polluting future searches with
>> non-answers.
>
> Please quote the part where I said it was easy if you'd be so
> kind? I can't seem to locate it on my own. No one ever said
> things were going to be easy in this industry; if they were then
> many of us would be out of a job But that's really not the
> point of my post as you really should be aware of, Les.

And just what was that point? If you don't have an answer, why is your
post any less an abuse of the list (and future searches) than the question?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 08-03-2010, 02:49 PM
James Hogarth

On 3 August 2010 15:45, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/3/2010 8:18 AM, John R. Dennison wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 07:56:42AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>>
>>> Please point out the search result that will solve his problem if it is so
>>> easy for you... *Or if you can't, please avoid polluting future searches with
>>> non-answers.
>>
>> * * * Please quote the part where I said it was easy if you'd be so
>> * * * kind? *I can't seem to locate it on my own. *No one ever said
>> * * * things were going to be easy in this industry; if they were then
>> * * * many of us would be out of a job *But that's really not the
>> * * * point of my post as you really should be aware of, Les.
>
> And just what was that point? *If you don't have an answer, why is your
> post any less an abuse of the list (and future searches) than the question?
>
> --

Sometimes people feel enough is enough? Something or someone is so
irritating over such a period of time you just can't stop yourself
saying - what you again?! Please just go!

And as for that point about an AI doing this over multiple lists that
might explain a lot.... especially the question that is essentially a
repeat of the previous ones or contradictory to previous requests for
help... hmm maybe whoever is controlling this AI is trying to generate
a giant FAQ for any distro.....

Old 08-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Les Mikesell

On 8/3/2010 9:49 AM, James Hogarth wrote:

>>> Please quote the part where I said it was easy if you'd be so
>>> kind? I can't seem to locate it on my own. No one ever said
>>> things were going to be easy in this industry; if they were then
>>> many of us would be out of a job But that's really not the
>>> point of my post as you really should be aware of, Les.
>>
>> And just what was that point? If you don't have an answer, why is your
>> post any less an abuse of the list (and future searches) than the question?
>>
>> --
>
> Sometimes people feel enough is enough? Something or someone is so
> irritating over such a period of time you just can't stop yourself
> saying - what you again?! Please just go!
>
> And as for that point about an AI doing this over multiple lists that
> might explain a lot.... especially the question that is essentially a
> repeat of the previous ones or contradictory to previous requests for
> help... hmm maybe whoever is controlling this AI is trying to generate
> a giant FAQ for any distro.....

Well, remember that these pages are going to appear in future search
results, and the sites displaying them are going to make money by
showing ads. So maybe it is a scheme like that stupid ehow site to
generate meaningless content that will match hot search topics. (If you
haven't noticed, there are now a bunch of sites that always show up in
searches where the content might as well have been generated by monkeys
with typewriters except that they seem to be about topics someone might
search for).

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 08-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Les Mikesell

On 8/3/2010 8:10 AM, Scott Robbins wrote:

>> VMware on the best machine you have and run the OS in question as a guest. In
>> many cases you can find an image already installed that you can just download
>> and run under VMware player. If you have to build your own, you'll probably
>> want the latest version of vmware server 1.x that you can find (the 2.x versions
>> have a problem running under Red Hat or Centos and nobody likes the web based
>> console).
>
> Aha---have you tried the latest VMwareplayer? It seems to be their
> replacement for the old VMwareserver. It now enables you to install an
> O/S, so these days, I'm recommending it over VMware server--like you
> (and most people), I greatly dislike the 2.x way of doing things.
>
> There is also the lighter, and at this point, probably less feature-ful
> VirtualBox, of course. However, VMwareplayer, like the old VMware
> server (that is, 1.x) allows you to install a wide variety of systems.

I do have a fairly recent player on an XP laptop but hadn't explored the
new features since I usually start by copying an image created on a
faster machine under vmware server. But the main reason for having a
recent version installed is that it handles USB drives nicely, giving
you a choice of whether they attach to the host or guest and at the time
I couldn't get that to work at all with VirtualBox even though the docs
said it should. I find it very handy to be able to connect
linux-formatted drives through a usb cable adapter that handles
ide/laptop/sata drives and access the content without having to boot
into linux - with the potential to do disaster recovery restores from a
backuppc disk image.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com