Old 08-03-2010, 07:40 AM
Rudi Ahlers

Default how to install Atheros AR5008 on CentOS 5.5 in console-only mode?

On 2010/08/03 02:02 AM, Tom H wrote:

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com> wrote:

I hope someone can help me. *I'm trying to setup a D-Link DWA-547 on
CentOS 5.5 x64 in console only mode, i.e. there's no X installed. The
Wiki article suggests using NetWork Manager, but since there's no X
installed on this server, it's not possible.

How do I go about installing this card?

Here's the output of lspci -v:

01:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5008
Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
Subsystem: D-Link System Inc Unknown device 3a6b

I can only point you in the right direction (sorry!). This is from
memory and from a setup that I've used on Fedora in the past so CentOS
_should_ be similar...

You have to install wpa_supplicant and the relevant configuration files are:
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wap_supplicant.conf
/etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/keys-eth0
__________________

I already have it installed:

[root@intranet ~]# rpm -qa | grep wpa

wpa_supplicant-0.5.10-9.el5

[root@intranet ~]# ll /etc/wpa_supplicant/

total 4

-rw------- 1 root root 107 Mar 31 06:58 wpa_supplicant.conf

[root@intranet ~]# ll /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 391 Mar 31 06:58 /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant

But, I got no idea how to configure the card in console-only mode, i.e.
without X installed.

[root@intranet ~]# iwconfig

lo******* no wireless extensions.

eth1***** no wireless extensions.

eth0***** no wireless extensions.

sit0***** no wireless extensions.

[root@intranet ~]# iwconfig wlan0

wlan0**** No such device

[root@intranet ~]# ifconfig wlan0

wlan0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers, SoftDux MD

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com