Old 08-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Robert

Default OT -- apcupsd messages

On 08/02/2010 09:26 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us informed us:
> Robert wrote:
>
>> Does anyone here have any "feel" for the "Battery disconnected" and
>> "Battery reattached" log entries?
>> The rebooting came as a result of me turning off modems, router,
>> external drives, monitor, cordless phone and finally, the computer,
>> trying to locate a quiet but annoying "chirp". The "chirps" stopped
>> when I tilted the UPS to look at the front panel. As you can see, log
>> entries stopped at as suddenly as they started.
>>
> <snip>
> Ah, yes, *that* chirp. Try doing a self-test on the battery. Oh, and I
> don't suppose the replace battery light's on? Check the manual - there's
> some trick to pushing in one of the buttons to tell it to shut up.
>
> mark

Thanks to each of you who replied.

Mark, I did perform a manual self-test -- after downloading a UG for the
UPS.
Looks like it went to hell in the proverbial handbasket in 22 days. I'm
not surprised,
just di$$appointed.
/var/log/messages.3:Jul 11 17:19:15 madeleine apcupsd[3297]: UPS Self
Test switch to battery.
/var/log/messages.3:Jul 11 17:19:24 madeleine apcupsd[3297]: UPS Self
Test completed: Battery OK
/var/log/messages:Aug 2 19:14:24 madeleine apcupsd[3344]: UPS Self Test
switch to battery.
/var/log/messages:Aug 2 19:14:24 madeleine apcupsd[3344]: UPS Self Test
completed: Warning
/var/log/messages:Aug 2 19:14:24 madeleine apcupsd[3344]: UPS Self Test
switch to battery.
/var/log/messages:Aug 2 19:14:24 madeleine apcupsd[3344]: UPS Self Test
completed: Warning

Benjamin, the coincidence 'tween tilting the UPS and the chirps stopping
got my attention
last night. I have not yet crawled under the desk to check the
connections but that's next.

Dave, you very likely pointed out my final course of action. 3 years is
a pretty good life
for a battery (my lawn mower should do so well!) and I'm thinking that
with a little shopping,
I can buy a new UPS for not too much more than a battery pack.

BTW, for anyone else who has misplaced the UG, try
http://www.apc-forums.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/21-4883-21507-1294/BX1500LCD.pdf
Instructions for muting that insidious little *CHIRP* are on the 4th
panel of page 2. Thanks again, Mark.