Old 08-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Rudi Ahlers

Default who uses Lustre in production with virtual machines?

I'm considering setting up a Lustre cluster system for our XEN virtual
machines as shared storage, mainly for high availability on our XEN
VPS servers.

Does anyone use Lustre in a production environment?
What is your opinions / experiences with it?

One of the main reasons I'm looking at using Lustre is that we have a
few older machines, of different specs that I want to use for storage
purposes. i.e. I don't want to use proprietary, or matching hardware
if I don't want to. Many of these machines are still in good standing
and of good spec (3.2Ghz PIV + HT & 4GB RAM, Core2Duo + 4GB RAM,
single XEON + 4GB RAM, dual core Atoms, etc) Will this work?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 08-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Emmanuel Noobadmin

On 8/3/10, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com> wrote:
> I'm considering setting up a Lustre cluster system for our XEN virtual
> machines as shared storage, mainly for high availability on our XEN
> VPS servers.
>
> Does anyone use Lustre in a production environment?
> What is your opinions / experiences with it?

I haven't used Lustre but was also researching on using it for same
purpose as shared storage for VMs. Dropped it in the end from
consideration after some discussion on the Lustre mailing list points
out that it's more intended for high performance rather than high
availability. So it might not be that suitable as a HA solution.

Have you considered trying Gluster instead?

Old 08-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Lars Hecking

Emmanuel Noobadmin writes:
> On 8/3/10, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com> wrote:
> > I'm considering setting up a Lustre cluster system for our XEN virtual
> > machines as shared storage, mainly for high availability on our XEN
> > VPS servers.
> >
> > Does anyone use Lustre in a production environment?
> > What is your opinions / experiences with it?
>
> I haven't used Lustre but was also researching on using it for same
> purpose as shared storage for VMs. Dropped it in the end from
> consideration after some discussion on the Lustre mailing list points
> out that it's more intended for high performance rather than high
> availability. So it might not be that suitable as a HA solution.
>
> Have you considered trying Gluster instead?

What do Gluster or Lustre offer that the builtin Red Hat Cluster Suite
does not?

Old 08-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Emmanuel Noobadmin

On 8/3/10, Lars Hecking <lhecking@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> What do Gluster or Lustre offer that the builtin Red Hat Cluster Suite
> does not?

Being a noob admin, I'm not sure and still haven't decided fully on
which way to go, largely because it seems the technologies of choice
are both still maturing (gluster + non-Solaris ZFS).

I don't know about Rudi's requirements but in my case, having an
easily expandable and high availability storage with minimum switch
over time that's decoupled from the VM host machines is the objective.

>From what I understand, I cannot do the equivalent of network RAID 1
with a normal DRBD/HB style cluster. Gluster with replicate appears to
do exactly that. I can have 2 or more storage servers with real time
duplicates of the same data so that if any one fails the cluster does
not run into problem. By using gluster distribute over pairs of
server, it seems that I can also easily add more storage by adding
more pairs of replicate server.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Rudi Ahlers

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Emmanuel Noobadmin
<centos.admin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/3/10, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com> wrote:
>> I'm considering setting up a Lustre cluster system for our XEN virtual
>> machines as shared storage, mainly for high availability on our XEN
>> VPS servers.
>>
>> Does anyone use Lustre in a production environment?
>> What is your opinions / experiences with it?
>
> I haven't used Lustre but was also researching on using it for same
> purpose as shared storage for VMs. Dropped it in the end from
> consideration after some discussion on the Lustre mailing list points
> out that it's more intended for high performance rather than high
> availability. So it might not be that suitable as a HA solution.
>
> Have you considered trying Gluster instead?

Well, I'm really after the speed it offers.

With lustre, from what I understand, I could use say 3 or 5 or 50
servers to spread the load across the server and thus have higher IO.
We mainly host shared hosting clients, who often have hundreds &
thousands of files in one account. So if their files were "scattered"
across multiple servers then the access to those files would be
quicker.

In terms of high availability, I'm thinking that if I use more servers
and thus have less load on each server, then the rate of failure would
also be less. I see they have a high availability option, but would
also be interested to know what was said about it. Would you can to
point me to the specific conversation about this?

Old 08-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Rudi Ahlers

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Lars Hecking
<lhecking@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Emmanuel Noobadmin writes:
>> On 8/3/10, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com> wrote:
>> > I'm considering setting up a Lustre cluster system for our XEN virtual
>> > machines as shared storage, mainly for high availability on our XEN
>> > VPS servers.
>> >
>> > Does anyone use Lustre in a production environment?
>> > What is your opinions / experiences with it?
>>
>> I haven't used Lustre but was also researching on using it for same
>> purpose as shared storage for VMs. Dropped it in the end from
>> consideration after some discussion on the Lustre mailing list points
>> out that it's more intended for high performance rather than high
>> availability. So it might not be that suitable as a HA solution.
>>
>> Have you considered trying Gluster instead?
>
> *What do Gluster or Lustre offer that the builtin Red Hat Cluster Suite
> *does not?

less documentation?

Old 08-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Rudi Ahlers

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Emmanuel Noobadmin
<centos.admin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/3/10, Lars Hecking <lhecking@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>> *What do Gluster or Lustre offer that the builtin Red Hat Cluster Suite
>> *does not?
>
> Being a noob admin, I'm not sure and still haven't decided fully on
> which way to go, largely because it seems the technologies of choice
> are both still maturing (gluster + non-Solaris ZFS).
>
> I don't know about Rudi's requirements but in my case, having an
> easily expandable and high availability storage with minimum switch
> over time that's decoupled from the VM host machines is the objective.

This is exactly why I'm considering it

> >From what I understand, I cannot do the equivalent of network RAID 1
> with a normal DRBD/HB style cluster. Gluster with replicate appears to
> do exactly that. I can have 2 or more storage servers with real time
> duplicates of the same data so that if any one fails the cluster does
> not run into problem. By using gluster distribute over pairs of
> server, it seems that I can also easily add more storage by adding
> more pairs of replicate server.

I'm thinking more in the lines of network RAID10, if it's possible?

Old 08-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Joshua Baker-LePain

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 at 3:45pm, Lars Hecking wrote

> Emmanuel Noobadmin writes:
>>
>> I haven't used Lustre but was also researching on using it for same
>> purpose as shared storage for VMs. Dropped it in the end from
>> consideration after some discussion on the Lustre mailing list points
>> out that it's more intended for high performance rather than high
>> availability. So it might not be that suitable as a HA solution.
>>
>> Have you considered trying Gluster instead?
>
> What do Gluster or Lustre offer that the builtin Red Hat Cluster Suite
> does not?

One does not need shared storage for Gluster. Each storage brick has its
own storage, and Gluster handles replication/distribution across the
nodes. Also, according to RH's site, RHCS is limited to 16 nodes.
Gluster has no such limit.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin

Old 08-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Joshua Baker-LePain

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 at 6:11pm, Rudi Ahlers wrote

> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Emmanuel Noobadmin
> <centos.admin@gmail.com> wrote:

>> From what I understand, I cannot do the equivalent of network RAID 1
>> with a normal DRBD/HB style cluster. Gluster with replicate appears to
>> do exactly that. I can have 2 or more storage servers with real time
>> duplicates of the same data so that if any one fails the cluster does
>> not run into problem. By using gluster distribute over pairs of
>> server, it seems that I can also easily add more storage by adding
>> more pairs of replicate server.
>
> I'm thinking more in the lines of network RAID10, if it's possible?

Yes, you can do that with Gluster. That's the standard config produced by
gluster-volgen if you feed it more than 2 volumes.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

On 8/3/10, Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17@duke.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 at 3:45pm, Lars Hecking wrote
>
> nodes. Also, according to RH's site, RHCS is limited to 16 nodes.

Huh! Last time I checked it, it was far over 1024 nodes or something
like that considering the MRG and RHEV.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Rajagopal