Old 08-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Akemi Yagi

Default kernel panic not syncing fatal exception due to reiserfs -- rebooted properly on ext3

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Agnello George <agnello.dsouza@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> we had one of our mail servers , going on kernel panic mode* ( not syncing
> fatal exception) ... cause /var/queue/postfix was on reiserfs part .. it has
> not been giving us any isssue quite some time , but yesterday and today it
> went on Kernel panic mode , when we hashed out the reiserfs part it booted
> properly .. we formated the part^ on ext3 later and things working fine now
> . Could any one have a idea why this could have happened . The server hung
> at 19:52:56 hours
> Here is the logs
> ug 2 19:50:01 mmail2 snmpd[4460]: Connection from UDP: []:53980
> Aug 2 19:50:55 mmail kernel: ReiserFS: sda6: warning: vs-13060:
> reiserfs_update_sd: stat data of object [2 203562 0x0 SD] (nlink == 2) not
> found (pos 1)
(snip)
> Aug 2 20:13:27 mmail syslogd 1.4.1: restart.
> Aug 2 20:13:27 mmail kernel: klogd 1.4.1, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
> Aug 2 20:13:27 mmail kernel: Linux version 2.6.18-128.el5
(snip)
> --
> Regards
> Agnello D'souza

This is a known problem and there is a patch for that:

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3156

Your kernel is so old (meaning many security holes). Please update the
system and while doing so, grab the centosplus kernel which has the
fix for this issue.

Akemi

Old 08-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Agnello George

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 2:01 AM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Agnello George <agnello.dsouza@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi

> we had one of our mail servers , going on kernel panic mode* ( not syncing

> fatal exception) ... cause /var/queue/postfix was on reiserfs part .. it has

> not been giving us any isssue quite some time , but yesterday and today it

> went on Kernel panic mode , when we hashed out the reiserfs part it booted

> properly .. we formated the part^ on ext3 later and things working fine now

> . Could any one have a idea why this could have happened . The server hung

> at 19:52:56 hours

> Here is the logs

> ug 2 19:50:01 mmail2 snmpd[4460]: Connection from UDP: []:53980

> Aug 2 19:50:55 mmail kernel: ReiserFS: sda6: warning: vs-13060:

> reiserfs_update_sd: stat data of object [2 203562 0x0 SD] (nlink == 2) not

> found (pos 1)

(snip)

> Aug 2 20:13:27 mmail syslogd 1.4.1: restart.

> Aug 2 20:13:27 mmail kernel: klogd 1.4.1, log source = /proc/kmsg started.

> Aug 2 20:13:27 mmail kernel: Linux version 2.6.18-128.el5

(snip)

> --

> Regards

> Agnello D'souza

This is a known problem and there is a patch for that:

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3156

Your kernel is so old (meaning many security holes). Please update the

system and while doing so, grab the centosplus kernel which has the

fix for this issue.

Akemi

Hi*
Thanks for you reply , currently we have the default kernel 2.6.18-128.el5 *( centos 5.3 ) , can i install the kernel-2.6.18-8.1.8.el5.src.rpm and add the patch to this or do i have to *download the kernel 2.6.21 then compile it and then install it . *I had been to the kernel.org and cant find the kernel 2.6.21 , the kernels available are 2.6.27.49 and above .*
--
Regards
Agnello D'souza

Old 08-03-2010, 07:55 AM
John R Pierce

On 08/03/10 12:44 AM, Agnello George wrote:

> Thanks for you reply , currently we have the default kernel
> 2.6.18-128.el5 ( centos 5.3 ) , can i install the
> kernel-2.6.18-8.1.8.el5.src.rpm and add the patch to this or do i have
> to download the kernel 2.6.21 then compile it and then install it .
> I had been to the kernel.org <http://kernel.org> and cant find the
> kernel 2.6.21 , the kernels available are 2.6.27.49 and above .

# yum update

should install the latest centos5 kernel (centosplus if you installed
your reiser supporting kernel from there) and that should have the fixes
installed.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Agnello George