Old 08-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Vnpenguin

Default how to reformat a partition to ntfs?

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 11:14, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com> wrote:
> With the Windows XP CD. Do a google search on how to install Windows,
> or contact Microsoft if you don't know.

Excellent respond! Love it

Old 08-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Bobby

On Monday, August 02, 2010 05:11:25 am hadi motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> I want to install win xp on my centos machine . Can you please let me know
> how can I reformat a partition to ntfs?
> Thank you

Look at
man mkfs.ntfs

That will get you closer.

--

Bobby

Old 08-02-2010, 09:32 AM
hadi motamedi

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Bobby <bobby@d4business.com> wrote:

On Monday, August 02, 2010 05:11:25 am hadi motamedi wrote:

> Dear All

> I want to install win xp on my centos machine . Can you please let me know

> how can I reformat a partition to ntfs?

> Thank you

Look at

man mkfs.ntfs

That will get you closer.

--

Bobby

Thank you very much for your reply. I did it through win server edition.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:38 AM
"John R. Dennison"

On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 05:23:38AM -0400, Bobby wrote:
> On Monday, August 02, 2010 05:11:25 am hadi motamedi wrote:
> > Dear All
> > I want to install win xp on my centos machine . Can you please let me know
> > how can I reformat a partition to ntfs?
> > Thank you
>
> Look at
> man mkfs.ntfs
>
> That will get you closer.

Please stop spoonfeeding this leech.

Hadi has never, as in not one single time, done a bit of
research before he's posted here expecting us to do his job
or classwork or whatever for him.

Rudi had the right of it; make him do something *on his own*.

John

--
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price,
peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft

-- Teddy Roosevelt

Old 08-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Scott Robbins

On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 11:14:32AM +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> With the Windows XP CD. Do a google search on how to install Windows,
> or contact Microsoft if you don't know.

I believe that's incorrect. One often first needs to boot into Linux
and use fdisk to remove or reformat (in fat32 or ntfs, if possible).

At least some Windows CDs simply won't see a Linux partition and will
say there is no available disk.

However, unlike Linux, MS tends to document things very well, at least
from the sysadmin's viewpoint. (Programmers tell me the opposite is the
case in programming documentation). Searching the MS knowledge base
using terms like reformat Linux partition should give you a result where
they walk you through it.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Cordelia: Oxford. Whoopee. Four years in teabag central.
Sounds thrilling. And M.I.T. is a clearasil ad with housing, and Yale
is a dumping ground for those who didn't get into Harvard.
Willow: I got into Harvard.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Ralph Angenendt

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 11:11 AM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All
> I want to install win xp on my centos machine .

Do you have any OS X questions, too? Or general questions about
Ubuntu? Or Life, the world and everything?

Could you please start asking questions that show that you have done
at least a *little* bit of preliminary research? Or do your asking
somewhere else? Just to let you know: I am thinking about removing
your access to this list, as people have started to complain about
you. See this as some sort of last warning.

Regards,

Ralph

Old 08-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Benjamin Donnachie

On 2 August 2010 11:14, Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> I believe that's incorrect. *One often first needs to boot into Linux
> and use fdisk to remove or reformat (in fat32 or ntfs, if possible).

Have you actually installed Windows? The installer will happily
delete any partition, even if it does not recognise it, and recreate
it as NTFS/FAT.

Ben

Old 08-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Scott Robbins

On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 12:56:14PM +0100, Benjamin Donnachie wrote:
> On 2 August 2010 11:14, Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> > I believe that's incorrect. *One often first needs to boot into Linux
> > and use fdisk to remove or reformat (in fat32 or ntfs, if possible).
>
> Have you actually installed Windows? The installer will happily
> delete any partition, even if it does not recognise it, and recreate
> it as NTFS/FAT.

Yuppers, and run into that problem. IIRC, it usually happens with some
older OEM disks. Or, it might be pre SP2, or perhaps pre SP3.

I see that MS does give instructions for using Linux fdisk--whether it's
still an existing issue or not, I don't know.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314458/EN-US

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Jenny: You're here again? You kids really dig the library don't
you?
Buffy: We're literary.
Xander: To read makes our speaking English good.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Keith Roberts

On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 12:56:14PM +0100, Benjamin Donnachie wrote:

On 2 August 2010 11:14, Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> I believe that's incorrect. *One often first needs to boot into Linux
> and use fdisk to remove or reformat (in fat32 or ntfs, if possible).

Have you actually installed Windows? The installer will happily
delete any partition, even if it does not recognise it, and recreate
it as NTFS/FAT.

Yuppers, and run into that problem. IIRC, it usually happens with some
older OEM disks. Or, it might be pre SP2, or perhaps pre SP3.

I see that MS does give instructions for using Linux fdisk--whether it's
still an existing issue or not, I don't know.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314458/EN-US

I set my partitions up using the Gparted live CD.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

HTH

Keith Roberts___________________________________________ ____
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org

Old 08-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Niki Kovacs

hadi motamedi a écrit :
> Dear All
> I want to install win xp on my centos machine . Can you please let me
> know how can I reformat a partition to ntfs?

1) Insert CentOS install CD until you come to the first screen.

2) Open virtual console : Alt+F2

3) # shred -vzn 65536 /dev/hda

4) Watch messages scroll by. Wait until it's finished (important), then
post here to tell us the results.

Good luck,

Niki Kovacs