Old 07-31-2010, 05:26 AM
Todd Cary

Default What is the best strategy for updating CentOS from 4 to 5?

No doubt I have waited just a little too long, but I think it is time to
upgrade before it is not supported. My server is not heavily used
(mostly for viewing images) and my Admin skills are better than beginner
but NOT guru.

Todd

--
Ariste Software
Petaluma, CA 94952

http://www.aristesoftware.com

Old 07-31-2010, 05:46 AM
John R Pierce

On 07/30/10 10:26 PM, Todd Cary wrote:
> No doubt I have waited just a little too long, but I think it is time to
> upgrade before it is not supported. My server is not heavily used
> (mostly for viewing images) and my Admin skills are better than beginner
> but NOT guru.

backup your files, configurations, etc, wipe the system, clean install
centos 5, restore your configurations and files.

if all your user and server files are on seperate file systems from /,
/var, /usr, then you may be able to leave them inplace as long as you're
careful with the installer not to touch your data filesystems.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:47 PM
Keith Roberts

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010, John R Pierce wrote:

> From: John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] What is the best strategy for updating CentOS from 4 to
> 5?
>
> On 07/30/10 10:26 PM, Todd Cary wrote:
>> No doubt I have waited just a little too long, but I think it is time to
>> upgrade before it is not supported. My server is not heavily used
>> (mostly for viewing images) and my Admin skills are better than beginner
>> but NOT guru.
>
> backup your files, configurations, etc, wipe the system, clean install
> centos 5, restore your configurations and files.
>
> if all your user and server files are on seperate file systems from /,
> /var, /usr, then you may be able to leave them inplace as long as you're
> careful with the installer not to touch your data filesystems.

I have written a set of bash scripts to automate doing a
fresh installation of Centos 5.5 They were originally
written for Fedora 12, and have just finished doing a clean
installation run using them to install Centos 5.5 on my
laptop.

I went from F8 to F12 with these scripts, with no real
problems.

Anybody interested in a copy of them - they will be BSD or
similar license ?

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Old 08-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Rainer Traut

Am 31.07.2010 14:47, schrieb Keith Roberts:

> I have written a set of bash scripts to automate doing a
> fresh installation of Centos 5.5 They were originally
> written for Fedora 12, and have just finished doing a clean
> installation run using them to install Centos 5.5 on my
> laptop.
>
> I went from F8 to F12 with these scripts, with no real
> problems.
>
> Anybody interested in a copy of them - they will be BSD or
> similar license ?

Yes, I'm interested much.

Gruß,
Rainer

Old 08-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Keith Roberts

I have written a set of bash scripts to automate doing a
fresh installation of Centos 5.5 They were originally
written for Fedora 12, and have just finished doing a clean
installation run using them to install Centos 5.5 on my
laptop.

I went from F8 to F12 with these scripts, with no real
problems.

Anybody interested in a copy of them - they will be BSD or
similar license ?

Yes, I'm interested much.

Gruß,
Rainer

OK. I'll try and get them onto my website ASAP. The
user documentation needs looking at first.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Old 08-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Keith Roberts

I have written a set of bash scripts to automate doing a
fresh installation of Centos 5.5 They were originally
written for Fedora 12, and have just finished doing a clean
installation run using them to install Centos 5.5 on my
laptop.

I went from F8 to F12 with these scripts, with no real
problems.

Anybody interested in a copy of them - they will be BSD or
similar license ?

Yes, I'm interested much.

Gruß,
Rainer

OK. I'll try and get them onto my website ASAP. The user documentation needs
looking at first.

Here's the link to my AutoLinuxInstaller scripts for Centos
5.5, including some docs.

http://www.karsites.net/centos/anyuser/auto-linux-installer.php

Best approach is to test them out on a spare machine first -
just to get to know how they work.

You will need to customize the stage1-configure-system.bsh
master script (and some scripts this calls) for the machine
you would like to use these scripts on. That only needs
to be done once per machine. And once that's done you can
almost completely automate the next installation.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.php-debuggers.net