-   -   DHCPD (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/406403-dhcpd.html)

07-30-2010 07:35 PM

DHCPD

Not sure if there is a DHCPD/PXE forum so I will ask here.

I have been trying to get netboot to work (i.e. a machine with nothing on it
but a NIC card, no linux, no operating system, whatever) boots up and receives
a file from a dhcp server. This dhcp server gives it all the Linux stuff
it needs so a full install can be done over the network.

I actually got this working by turning my desktop into a DHCP server and
placing the Linux images. My problem? Now everyone, especially with windows
machines, is complaining that their machine keeps telling them "unknown
network" and "no internet connection". Oops, my DHCP server was intercepting
all the other DHCP requests normally for our actual router (192.168.5.1).

I can get around this by unplugging my machine from the LAN and just having
it on a very small network with only two IPS (my desktop DHCP server and
the machine doing the boot). However, I would rather stay connected to the
LAN especially if I have to go out over it to get an install package (like
DDD).

Can I somehow tell my desktop only to handle PXE requests and anything
else should go to 192.168.5.1?

Couple minor questions but I can save time asking here too:

I can't figure out the correct "option" or keyword to assign host name
via DHCP.

Is there a way I can have a user choose whether to install 4.5 or 5.4
(CentOS) via boot? I put multiple choices into the C0 file but it ignored
all but one.

Terry Polzin 07-30-2010 07:46 PM

DHCPD

On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 19:35 +0000, tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:
> Not sure if there is a DHCPD/PXE forum so I will ask here.
>
> I have been trying to get netboot to work (i.e. a machine with nothing on it
> but a NIC card, no linux, no operating system, whatever) boots up and receives
> a file from a dhcp server. This dhcp server gives it all the Linux stuff
> it needs so a full install can be done over the network.
>
> I actually got this working by turning my desktop into a DHCP server and
> placing the Linux images. My problem? Now everyone, especially with windows
> machines, is complaining that their machine keeps telling them "unknown
> network" and "no internet connection". Oops, my DHCP server was intercepting
> all the other DHCP requests normally for our actual router (192.168.5.1).
>
> I can get around this by unplugging my machine from the LAN and just having
> it on a very small network with only two IPS (my desktop DHCP server and
> the machine doing the boot). However, I would rather stay connected to the
> LAN especially if I have to go out over it to get an install package (like
> DDD).
>
> Can I somehow tell my desktop only to handle PXE requests and anything
> else should go to 192.168.5.1?
>
> Couple minor questions but I can save time asking here too:
>
> I can't figure out the correct "option" or keyword to assign host name
> via DHCP.
>
> Is there a way I can have a user choose whether to install 4.5 or 5.4
> (CentOS) via boot? I put multiple choices into the C0 file but it ignored
> all but one.

I put a line in my dhcpd.conf file something like the following;

host rhel5ppc2.olysteel.com {fixed-address 192.168.0.53; hardware
ethernet ca:10:e0:00:40:03; next-server 192.168.1.137; filename
"ppc64.img"; update-static-leases on;}

You have to know the mac of the PXE client nic. Maybe you shouldn't
have a pool in your config file either or a different pool of maybe 1
address for the nic you want to PXE boot.

Christoph Maser 07-30-2010 08:00 PM

DHCPD

Am 30.07.2010 21:35, schrieb tony.chamberlain@lemko.com:

> Can I somehow tell my desktop only to handle PXE requests and anything
> else should go to 192.168.5.1?

Configure your DHCP server only to talk only to certain clients. (deny
unknown-clients) see man dhcpd.conf.

> Couple minor questions but I can save time asking here too:
>
> I can't figure out the correct "option" or keyword to assign host name
> via DHCP.
>
> Is there a way I can have a user choose whether to install 4.5 or 5.4
> (CentOS) via boot? I put multiple choices into the C0 file but it ignored
> all but one.

Yes you can do that via the pxelinux config files
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX#How_do_I_Configure_PXELINUX.3F

If you plan to do more machines in the future it might be worth to have
a look at cobbler https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/.

+C