Old 07-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Rudi Ahlers

Default Postfix SMTP auto on remote relay server

Hi,

Does anyone know how to configure Postfix to use SMTP authentication
on a relay host?

i.e. I have a Linux server, running PostFix on an ADSL line with a
dynamic IP. Thus I can't just send out emails from this server but
need to relay it via our ISP's SMTP server, which is very unreliable.
Now I want to relay the email via another SMTP server where a user
account with the same domain has already been setup, but I got no idea
how to get it to work on SMTP authenticiaion.

Any suggestions?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 07-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Craig White

On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 14:16 +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how to configure Postfix to use SMTP authentication
> on a relay host?
>
> i.e. I have a Linux server, running PostFix on an ADSL line with a
> dynamic IP. Thus I can't just send out emails from this server but
> need to relay it via our ISP's SMTP server, which is very unreliable.
> Now I want to relay the email via another SMTP server where a user
> account with the same domain has already been setup, but I got no idea
> how to get it to work on SMTP authenticiaion.
>
> Any suggestions?
----
authentication is fully explained on the documentation on Postfix
website <http://www.postfix.org>

you don't really need to do any authentication at all but rather should
use 'smarthost' features on the main server and on the relaying server,
it should be configured to relay mail for that server.

Craig

believed to be clean.