Old 07-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Jerry Geis

Default mdstat and /dev/mapper

hi all,

In the past I used software RAID-1 and monitored /proc/mdstat to make
sure things were ok in the array.
I am starting to play with /dev/mapper and was wondering how I monitor
this for a disk going bad.

Thanks,

Jerry

Old 07-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Ross Walker

On Jul 30, 2010, at 8:11 AM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:

> hi all,
>
> In the past I used software RAID-1 and monitored /proc/mdstat to make
> sure things were ok in the array.
> I am starting to play with /dev/mapper and was wondering how I monitor
> this for a disk going bad.

For disk errors use smartmon.

If there is an error in the device mapper you will now about it right away as the system will fail.

There are LVM configuration backups kept, make sure they're kept in /boot.

-Ross