-   -   hplip under CentOS-5.5 (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/405984-hplip-under-centos-5-5-a.html)

Scott Robbins 07-30-2010 12:32 AM

hplip under CentOS-5.5

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 01:19:12AM +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Is anyone successfully using hplip under CentOS?
> When I try to print on my HP Officejet J4580
> I always get the error
> ----------------------------------
> Printer Filter "foomatic-rip-hplip" for printer "oj" not available:
> No such file or directory
> ----------------------------------
>
> What I find puzzling is that I have googled for this,
> and it appears there has been the same problem with hplip
> for over a year.

Wow, that's pretty old. I think rpmforge has newer, but regardless, I
wound up installing from source. The hplip page for CentOS is a bit off
(dated, I imagine), I have my own page on it here. (I should add that
it works quite well for me, version 3.9.8 or so. Haven't checked for
updates since then, as this does all I need.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/hplip.html

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Giles: In order...to be worthy...you must perform the
ritual...in a tutu. Pillock!
Angel: All right, someone get the chain saw.

Timothy Murphy 07-30-2010 01:01 AM

hplip under CentOS-5.5

Milos Blazevic wrote:

>> Is anyone successfully using hplip under CentOS?
>> When I try to print on my HP Officejet J4580
>> I always get the error
>> ----------------------------------
>> Printer Filter "foomatic-rip-hplip" for printer "oj" not available:
>> No such file or directory
>> ----------------------------------

> According to HP website your printer is not supported by hplip drivers
> arriving with EL5.

Thanks, I had noticed that.
But CUPS web install and system-config-printer
both allowed me to install the printer,
after specifying hplip.
It was only when I tried to use it that I got the error.

> Try installing the one from the website provided below:
> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install_wizard/index.html

OK, I'll try that.
Thanks.

Dag Wieers 07-30-2010 11:10 AM

hplip under CentOS-5.5

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Is anyone successfully using hplip under CentOS?
> When I try to print on my HP Officejet J4580
> I always get the error
> ----------------------------------
> Printer Filter "foomatic-rip-hplip" for printer "oj" not available:
> No such file or directory
> ----------------------------------
>
> What I find puzzling is that I have googled for this,
> and it appears there has been the same problem with hplip
> for over a year.
>
> I'm using hplip-1.6.7-4.1.el5.4.x86_64 .

If you're interested, RPMforge has an updated hplip in testing that
supports many more (and newer) devices. It does have an incompatibility
with dbus, but works fine for my HP PhotoSmart printer that wouldn't work
otherwise.

You can find those packages here:

http://packages.sw.be/hplip/

--
-- dag wieers, dag@wieers.com, http://dag.wieers.com/ --

Dag Wieers 07-30-2010 11:20 AM

hplip under CentOS-5.5

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010, Scott Robbins wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 01:19:12AM +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Is anyone successfully using hplip under CentOS?
>> When I try to print on my HP Officejet J4580
>> I always get the error
>> ----------------------------------
>> Printer Filter "foomatic-rip-hplip" for printer "oj" not available:
>> No such file or directory
>> ----------------------------------
>>
>> What I find puzzling is that I have googled for this,
>> and it appears there has been the same problem with hplip
>> for over a year.
>
> Wow, that's pretty old. I think rpmforge has newer, but regardless, I
> wound up installing from source. The hplip page for CentOS is a bit off
> (dated, I imagine), I have my own page on it here. (I should add that
> it works quite well for me, version 3.9.8 or so. Haven't checked for
> updates since then, as this does all I need.
>
> http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/hplip.html

Hi Scott,

Thanks fot hat document. I modified my hplip package based on that
document and am building a 3.10.6 update package as we speak.

I noticed that --enable-dbus-build is set, but I think it might be better
to disable it. Now people get the following error due to dbus
incompatiblities:

error: Unable to load dbus - Automatic status updates in HPLIP Device Manager will be disabled.

I've looked into the problem, but only a dbus update could fix the issue
at hand :-/ Everything else works for me without a problem though.

--
-- dag wieers, dag@wieers.com, http://dag.wieers.com/ --

Scott Robbins 07-30-2010 12:27 PM

hplip under CentOS-5.5

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 01:20:58PM +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010, Scott Robbins wrote:
>
> > Wow, that's pretty old. I think rpmforge has newer, but regardless, I
> > wound up installing from source. The hplip page for CentOS is a bit off
> > (dated, I imagine), I have my own page on it here. (I should add that
> > it works quite well for me, version 3.9.8 or so. Haven't checked for
> > updates since then, as this does all I need.
> >
> > http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/hplip.html
>
> Hi Scott,
>
> Thanks fot hat document. I modified my hplip package based on that
> document and am building a 3.10.6 update package as we speak.
>
> I noticed that --enable-dbus-build is set, but I think it might be better
> to disable it. Now people get the following error due to dbus
> incompatiblities:

Hi Dag,

I'm going to add mention of that--and also mention the rpmforge rpm--it
won't be till tonight (EDT, GMT -0500). I'll just put that Dag Wieers
of rpmforge fame has commented that.... <blah blah>. (I'll also preface
the article with a mention of the rpmforge rpm.)

Thanks.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Spike: I did a couple of slayers in my time. I don't like to
brag. Who am I kidding? I love to brag. One time, during the
Boxer Rebellion...

Scott Robbins 07-30-2010 12:44 PM

hplip under CentOS-5.5

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 08:27:33AM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 01:20:58PM +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 Jul 2010, Scott Robbins wrote:
> >
> > > Wow, that's pretty old. I think rpmforge has newer, but regardless, I
> > > wound up installing from source. The hplip page for CentOS is a bit off
> > > (dated, I imagine), I have my own page on it here. (I should add that
> > > it works quite well for me, version 3.9.8 or so. Haven't checked for
> > > updates since then, as this does all I need.
> > >
> > > http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/hplip.html
> >
> > Hi Scott,
> >
> > Thanks fot hat document. I modified my hplip package based on that
> > document and am building a 3.10.6 update package as we speak.

I've actually already updated the page to make mention of the rpmforge
package and also add your comments about dbus. I actually only made use
of hp-setup -i and then tested the scanner with scanimage, so I didn't
run into the error. Thanks for pointing it out.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Buffy: I told one lie... I had one drink...
Giles: Yes. And you were very nearly devoured by a giant demon
snake. The words, 'Let that be a lesson' are a tad redundant at
this juncture.

Timothy Murphy 07-30-2010 10:56 PM

hplip under CentOS-5.5

Dag Wieers wrote:

>> Is anyone successfully using hplip under CentOS?
>> When I try to print on my HP Officejet J4580
>> I always get the error
>> ----------------------------------
>> Printer Filter "foomatic-rip-hplip" for printer "oj" not available:
>> No such file or directory
>> ----------------------------------

> If you're interested, RPMforge has an updated hplip in testing that
> supports many more (and newer) devices. It does have an incompatibility
> with dbus, but works fine for my HP PhotoSmart printer that wouldn't work
> otherwise.
>
> You can find those packages here:
>
> http://packages.sw.be/hplip/

Thanks very much.
I'll try that.

Scott Robbins 07-31-2010 10:58 AM

hplip under CentOS-5.5

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 08:44:27AM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:

> > > Hi Scott,
> > >
> > > Thanks fot hat document. I modified my hplip package based on that
> > > document and am building a 3.10.6 update package as we speak.

Hi Dag,
I just tested your rpm. After uninstalling the tarball (the older
version though) and installing your rpm, scanimage -L didn't find the
scanner. I then installed the latest version of hplip from tarball to
make sure it wasn't an hplip regression, and it discovered the scanner
without issue.

The difference I see besides dbus is that the hplip instructions disable
hpijs, but I really don't know enough about it to know if that would
make the difference. If you see this today (Saturday), I probably have
time to run any test you would like (but tomorrow, my wife gets back
from Europe, so I won't).

If you feel it's better, I can take this to the rpmforge user list, but
figured I should post the information here since the thread started
here.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Cordelia: I do what I want to do. And I wear what I want to wear.
And you know what, I'll date whoever the hell I want to date...
no matter how lame he is.

Timothy Murphy 08-09-2010 06:25 PM

hplip under CentOS-5.5

Dag Wieers wrote:

>> Is anyone successfully using hplip under CentOS?
>> When I try to print on my HP Officejet J4580
>> I always get the error
>> ----------------------------------
>> Printer Filter "foomatic-rip-hplip" for printer "oj" not available:
>> No such file or directory
>> ----------------------------------

> If you're interested, RPMforge has an updated hplip in testing that
> supports many more (and newer) devices. It does have an incompatibility
> with dbus, but works fine for my HP PhotoSmart printer that wouldn't work
> otherwise.
>
> You can find those packages here:
>
> http://packages.sw.be/hplip/

I should have thanked you before,
but I only just got around to downloading
hpijs-3.10.6-0.1.el5.test.x86_64.rpm,
hplip-3.10.6-0.1.el5.test.x86_64.rpm,
libsane-hpaio-3.10.6-0.1.el5.test.x86_64.rpm
from <http://packages.sw.be/hplip/>,
and installing them on my CentOS machine
with "sudo yum localing install hplip ...",
and as far as I can see this works fine.

The printer has a USB connection,
and with the printer on
CUPS found it and I installed it
with the one of the three printers I was offered
having HPLIP in the title.

As far as I can see it works fine.
Thanks again.

--