Old 07-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Phil Savoie

Default Wifi not working (Solved--Sort of...)

> Doesn't it look like the wpa connection is successful?
> It says: " Activation (wlan0/wireless) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure)
> successful. Connected to wireless network 'pszone'."
> Only stages 3/4 (the DHCP part) seems to fail...
> The DHCPDISCOVER times out.
> Google says that some people with linksys DHCP problems in linux rebooted it or
> flashed it...
>
> JD

Thanks for you reply. On further googling, I found that similar cards
had the same problem. It seems that if one does a tcpdump in another
terminal while using NM it works. I even got the latest firmware on the
router.

what works:

tcpdump -i wlan0 host <hostname>

Then run NM and voila! I was able to connect. I wonder why the card has
to be in promiscuous mode to work?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Phil

Old 07-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Ross Walker

On Jul 29, 2010, at 5:57 PM, Phil Savoie <psavoie1783@rogers.com> wrote:

>> Doesn't it look like the wpa connection is successful?
>> It says: " Activation (wlan0/wireless) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure)
>> successful. Connected to wireless network 'pszone'."
>> Only stages 3/4 (the DHCP part) seems to fail...
>> The DHCPDISCOVER times out.
>> Google says that some people with linksys DHCP problems in linux rebooted it or
>> flashed it...
>>
>> JD
>>

> Thanks for you reply. On further googling, I found that similar cards
> had the same problem. It seems that if one does a tcpdump in another
> terminal while using NM it works. I even got the latest firmware on the
> router.
>
> what works:
>
> tcpdump -i wlan0 host <hostname>
>
> Then run NM and voila! I was able to connect. I wonder why the card has
> to be in promiscuous mode to work?
>
> Anyone have any thoughts?

Don't know, but I think there is an option you can put in your interface file to bring it up in promiscuous mode. Try that and see if NM can grab it on boot.

-Ross

Old 07-30-2010, 02:04 AM
Phil Savoie

Ross Walker wrote:
> On Jul 29, 2010, at 5:57 PM, Phil Savoie <psavoie1783@rogers.com> wrote:
>
>>> Doesn't it look like the wpa connection is successful?
>>> It says: " Activation (wlan0/wireless) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure)
>>> successful. Connected to wireless network 'pszone'."
>>> Only stages 3/4 (the DHCP part) seems to fail...
>>> The DHCPDISCOVER times out.
>>> Google says that some people with linksys DHCP problems in linux rebooted it or
>>> flashed it...
>>>
>>> JD
>>>
>> Thanks for you reply. On further googling, I found that similar cards
>> had the same problem. It seems that if one does a tcpdump in another
>> terminal while using NM it works. I even got the latest firmware on the
>> router.
>>
>> what works:
>>
>> tcpdump -i wlan0 host <hostname>
>>
>> Then run NM and voila! I was able to connect. I wonder why the card has
>> to be in promiscuous mode to work?
>>
>> Anyone have any thoughts?
>
> Don't know, but I think there is an option you can put in your interface file to bring it up in promiscuous mode. Try that and see if NM can grab it on boot.
>
> -Ross

There used to be a PROMISC=yes setting I could have used int the
ifcfg-wlan0 file but is now unsupported according to
/usr/share/doc/initscripts-8.45.30/sysconfig.txt.

Thanks for trying though as it is appreciated.

Phil

Old 07-30-2010, 02:11 AM
Stephen Harris

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 10:04:56PM -0400, Phil Savoie wrote:
> Ross Walker wrote:
> > Don't know, but I think there is an option you can put in your interface file to bring it up in promiscuous mode. Try that and see if NM can grab it on boot.

> There used to be a PROMISC=yes setting I could have used int the
> ifcfg-wlan0 file but is now unsupported according to
> /usr/share/doc/initscripts-8.45.30/sysconfig.txt.

> Thanks for trying though as it is appreciated.

Create a simple S09 script (eg S09PROMISC) which basically just does
"/sbin/ifconfig wlan0 promisc up"

eg create this as /etc/init.d/PROMISC and then do "chkconfig PROMISC on"

#!/bin/sh

# PROMISC puts wlan0 in promisc mode
#
# chkconfig: 2345 09 91

case "$1" in
start) touch /var/lock/subsys/PROMISC

/sbin/ifconfig wlan0 0.0.0.0 promisc up

;;
stop)
# Do nothing
rm -f /var/lock/subsys/PROMISC
;;
status|restart|reload)
# Do nothing
;;
*)
echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|reload|status}"
exit 1
esac

exit 0

It might work... who knows :-)

--

rgds
Stephen

Old 07-30-2010, 01:17 PM
Phil Savoie

Stephen Harris wrote:
> Create a simple S09 script (eg S09PROMISC) which basically just does
> "/sbin/ifconfig wlan0 promisc up"
>
> eg create this as /etc/init.d/PROMISC and then do "chkconfig PROMISC on"
>

> #!/bin/sh
>
> # PROMISC puts wlan0 in promisc mode
> #
> # chkconfig: 2345 09 91
>
> case "$1" in
> start) touch /var/lock/subsys/PROMISC
>
> /sbin/ifconfig wlan0 0.0.0.0 promisc up
>
> ;;
> stop)
> # Do nothing
> rm -f /var/lock/subsys/PROMISC
> ;;
> status|restart|reload)
> # Do nothing
> ;;
> *)
> echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|reload|status}"
> exit 1
> esac
>
> exit 0
>

> It might work... who knows :-)

Great suggestion Stephen! Thanks very much! Just tried it out and it
works fine. Just have one question... any reason not to leave the
interface in promiscuous mode?

Thanks,

Phil